[No spoilers] The end credits song - Official poll?

Morrigan

Absolute NAY :bang:

I've exhausted myself explaining why i disliked the ending music so much. Suffice it to say the music felt out of place and really stole my focus away from the traumatic ending. Not cool GOT, not cool!

When the song first started playing, I actually thought it was a mistake. This yanked me SO HARD out of the end scene (which I otherwise LOVED) that I didn't have time to savor what had just happened. Not a good move, in my opinion.

This.

Personally, I was confused they didn't use the first rendition of the Bear and the Maiden Fair, that they sung in the middle of the show.

Cause that one made me actually say "wow".

And also this.

Actually, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau acting took me out of the action. Waiting to scream until he realized he got his hand chopped off worked as a WTF moment for me.

And, with the illusion kind of off, I liked the song. A happy music, but more related to the Westerosi universe, would have blended with the scene instead of breaking away that much from it. I also think, though, that Jaime had to scream when he was cut, and not after, for that to happen. But it wasn't the intend, though.

Actually I've heard this happens sometimes when someone loses a hand or a foot or something, that they are so shocked that they don't even feel the pain for a few seconds because they can't even comprehend what's happened to them.

I personally thought that was extraordinary.

However, the music was a tremendously poor choice in my opinion. It didn't ruin the scene as a whole for me, but it definitely sucked the drama out of it and made me laugh. Thank God that happened after the scene and not during it.

I didn't like either version (I guess the punk rock version was worse). Decent song, BAD Bear and the Maiden Fair. It didn't feel much like the whimsical drinking song it was supposed to be. Try and imagine Butterbump cartwheeling and backflipping around the room while keeping up with that tempo? The song was too complex and epic for The Bear and the Maiden Fair, despite it actually being a pretty good tune, it was just all wrong for that song. Posted this already in the nitpick thread, although a bit more detailed.

EDIT: The contrast between the song and the previous scene didn't bother me all that much. I thought it was a bit odd at first, but it didn't break the ending for me. I just don't like the way that song was written for the show

Yeah, the actual reaction itself is quite realistic. In the case of sudden shock like that you don't react right away. It would've been weird if he did.

The credit sequence music is understandably polarizing but the scene itself is undeniably brilliant imo. The unexpectedness, the last little twitch his hand gives, and then Jaime's reaction... I thought it was great.

The other thing is that just the very fact that Jamie had his hand chopped off, and so suddenly, is jarring. The silly music is unnecessary to get that effect. I knew it was coming and it was still shocking. So anyway. Too bad about the music, but at least it was only in the credits and not score.

Yeah, the actual reaction itself is quite realistic. In the case of sudden shock like that you don't react right away. It would've been weird if he did.

The credit sequence music is understandably polarizing but the scene itself is undeniably brilliant imo. The unexpectedness, the last little twitch his hand gives, and then Jaime's reaction... I thought it was great.

Agreed, I thought it was fantastic. And an excellent example of how knowing what's going to happen doesn't necessarily ruin the experience.

I thought it was great. At this point, a lot of viewers don't like Jamie. They might feel like he got what he deserved. Having somber credits might seem like we are all supposed to feel sorry for him in the same way that we felt sad after Ned, or after hundreds of people died in the Blackwater. The song was appropriate. He was being arrogant, then WHAM! Don't forget, not that long ago, he threw Bran out a window, then killed all Ned Stark's people.

The upbeat song afterward was sarcastic.. it was tongue in cheek for all those people out there that went... "What? Holy Sh*t!" then cracked up.

Of course, being a book reader, my feelings on Jamie are... complex... but in this point in the story.. absolutely.

He did get what he deserved >:]

I'm so shocked that some people "loved it". Even if I completely separate it from the series and judge it on musical quality alone, it's just not good. Not "vicious, chop, rock, whatever" at all...I could appreciate a smattering of punk rock, but that, there is no way around it, it just sucked.

The Neon Genesis Evangelion series ended each episode with a different version of Fly Me to the Moon. There was one episode that had a particularly physically and mentally brutal ending that was then followed by the most upbeat version of Fly Me to the Moon ever. This reminded me of that.

I'm not 100% convinced it did what it should have here, but I didn't hate it either.

If they've done it for every episode, they will do it for every episode to come, I'd imagine.

Turn off the TV as fast as you can and drown in your sorrow before the ad strikes? Gods know after we see the RW, I will be out of commission and will not accept interaction from anyone-- in the form of commercials or in person.

Nope. This was announced last year, and they've only done it with the Hold Steady this year. They're probably only going to do 1 indie band version a year..

This is getting ridiculous anyway. The end credits took people out of the mood? In case noone noticed, they also list all the names involved in production, hardly part of the immersive experience. Get over it.

i hated it. i thought they ought to have shown the end of the greatest swordsman with a little more maturity

but my non book reading friends loved it. somehow they thought jamie deserved it.

As someone already stated in this thread, that's where anyone at that point in the story should be about Jamie. You're looking back from a much different place in his arc.

I LOVED IT. In fact, I was surprised at just how brilliant I thought it was upon initial viewing. Made me SMILE BIG. Still makes me smile big. Wonderful scene, great timing, then AWESOME end credits.

Nope. This was announced last year, and they've only done it with the Hold Steady this year. They're probably only going to do 1 indie band version a year..

Vis was referring to ads for other tv shows playing during the credits.

TERRIBLE.

What's next, a new version of "Rock the Casbah." "Jamie don't like it.....Rock the Kingslayer, rock the Kingslayer..."

Or a hip hop version of "Rains of Castermere"? "Yeah....yeah...and who are you, mutherf*cker, to make me bow so motherf*ckin' low....Casterly Rock up in the house, biatches!"

"A Knight's Tale" did so well with forcing modern songs into a medieval movie.

"You miss the point! It was a supposed to be jarring!" It was already jarring. We don't need help from a song that doesn't fit telling us to be jarred.

Classic example of a show getting too cute for its own good. Jumping the shark.

Archived