[No spoilers] The end credits song - Official poll?

Morrigan

This may or may not have been posted already, but for anyone who's interested

When we first reported the news that The Hold Steady would perform “The Bear and Maiden Fair” in season three, we teased that the song would not be used where fans of George R.R. Martin’s novels might expect. It’s tough to imagine a more unexpected moment than right after Locke slams a giant knife onto Jaime’s wrist. The wildly mismatched pairing of the violence and a rock song by a contemporary band was a very deliberate move.

“It’s such a shocking ending and when we read the scene in the books it was so shocking to us,” Weiss says. “To really hammer home the shock of that moment you need something unexpected. There’s no version of a traditional score that would keep you as off balance as we wanted that scene to leaving you feeling.”

“I can’t imagine having that conversation with Ramin [Djawadi] our composer — ‘Now we need the Jaime-gets-his-hand-chopped-off music,’” adds Benioff. who made his directorial debut with this episode. “What we always loved in An American Werewolf in London, we see our hero shot and killed and then his lover runs to embrace his dead body — it’s a sad ending — but then we cut to black and it’s [the bouncy 1961 Marcell's hit] ‘Blue Moon.’ And that jarring juxtaposition was fantastic.”

I felt the first 2 episodes of this season were too slow and a little boring. This was one of the reasons why I absolutely loved this end credits rock-song. To me, the song signaled the beginning of what I predict will be some of the best television to come out of this entire series. Also I should probably mention I am a big fan of punk rock. :cool4:

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it was great. Totally jarring, vicious. Chop. Scream. Rock. Over. Great stuff.

I enjoyed it too for that exact reason. beside I was just happy to have the bear and maiden fair in the episode at all, even if they did like 6 different versions of it in one episode it would still make me happy

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I recently viewed this episode and I'm still confused. I don't know what happened but in the what I saw/heard this odd song kicked in BEFORE the scene went to the credits. Did this happen with anyone else? I thought someone actually recorded over the sound track until I realized it was actually a "modern" version of the Maiden Fair. I shocked me right out of the scene...I was pissed because it played over the last 10/15 seconds and I couldn't hear what Jaime and the other guy were saying. It was just weird.

jom

I recently viewed this episode and I'm still confused. I don't know what happened but in the what I saw/heard this odd song kicked in BEFORE the scene went to the credits. Did this happen with anyone else? I thought someone actually recorded over the sound track until I realized it was actually a "modern" version of the Maiden Fair. I shocked me right out of the scene...I was pissed because it played over the last 10/15 seconds and I couldn't hear what Jaime and the other guy were saying. It was just weird.

jom

Bad pirated version. Get another one or watch it legally if you can.

• 2 months later...

I thought it was great! There was the let down of Jamie being let out of his chains, then the shock of his hand coming off, and then another shock when the usual music didn't play when the credits rolled.

It was a good song, it made the scene more comical and showed that the show doesn't take itself too seriously!

Archived