[BOOK SPOILERS] Edmure and Blackfish Thread

teemo

Can't believe this hasn't been started. What did you think? It seems to be one of the least popular topics of discussion, but these are two pretty major characters being introduced. I really like Clive Russell and think he's an amazing Blackfish, and I actually like the casting of Edmure, despite a lot of people's negative reaction. He's physically what I always pictured, basically. I'm not a huge fan of everyone treating Edmure like total crap, but I guess they're trying to show that he's sort of a nitwit pre-RW, and with how little screen time everyone gets...it's an easy way to do it.

Opinions?

I will have to re-watch it to gain a full opinion.

My initial reactions were that I liked them both quite a bit. Blackfish's scene with Cat was touching, and I liked Edmure with Robb.

I disliked Blackfish pushing Edmure out of the way at the funeral/Robb snickering at Edmure at the funeral, but honestly I don't think those would've bothered me so much if they hadn't been highlighted by the boards/discussion with other fans. It was meant to show just how pathetic they all think Edmure is, that's what I took from it.

I understand where people say Edmure is too arrogant rather than naive. But it doesn't bother me yet.

I don't like how the Blackfish treated Edmure, in the book he shot the arrow out of tact to spare Edmure further embarrassment. His dad just died and he's the new lord of riverrun in wartime, but Blackfish was all pissy with him. In the books one of Blackfish's qualities is that he was pretty understanding and they did it differently in the show.

I know Edmure is kind of slow on the uptake, but they really seemed like they wanted to hammer it home and make him look like a blathering idiot so the audience would get it.

Clive Russell as Blackfish is flawless. Loved his scene with Cat.

TV Edmure seems to be not only a dolt but also a bit of an arrogant dolt, but I like Tobias Menzies' portrayal so far. I kind of wish we had more ginger Tullys, though.

I don't like how the Blackfish treated Edmure, in the book he shot the arrow out of tact to spare Edmure further embarrassment. His dad just died and he's the new lord of riverrun in wartime, but Blackfish was all pissy with him. In the books one of Blackfish's qualities is that he was pretty understanding and they did it differently in the show.

I know Edmure is kind of slow on the uptake, but they really seemed like they wanted to hammer it home and make him look like a blathering idiot so the audience would get it.

The shove was too much. It was too rude, even for someone as plainspoken and brusque as the BF, he would not go out of his way to humiliate the new Lord of Riverrun in that manner.

But, I don't have a problem with Edmure's overall portrayal, he was kind of a dope in the book, not that smart, whores around a lot, bad battle commander, rash decision maker, self important.

I thought both castings were great as well. Of course, both of the scenes showing Edmure up were in the books, just not happening right next to each other. When I read the book, the part about Hoster Tully's funeral byre, what I remember is that it just kept getting further and further down the river so that it was almost out of reach before the Blackfish saved the day.

Tobias Menzies has made quite the career out of portraying self-involved dolts, hasn't he?

I thought the treatment of Edmure by the Blackfish was kind of weird, he came across as a petulant, nagging jackass more than anything. Robb laughing at him during his father's funeral and then chiding him for succeeding in a plan that he didn't even discuss the possible outcomes with came across badly too.

Edmure: The Theon of the Tullys. Kick him while he's down, haha.

Blackfish came across much better in his scene with Cat, Genuinely sweet and touching.

Also want to add that Robb and BF praised Edmure for his victory in the books, and then waited to ream him for his screwup until they were behind closed doors. Publicly laughing at and shoving the lord of riverrun in public would not be appropriate in the books. gotta dumb everything down for the show, I guess.

I think even with the limited screen time, they could have made Edmure being somewhat of a dolt a bit more subtle. Sometimes they treat the viewers like total morons.

Well, sure, they could have spent more time on that whole interplay, but then they might have had to cut the Pod Goes To The Whorehouse And Doesn't Have To Pay And It's A Laugh Riot scene.

Well, sure, they could have spent more time on that whole interplay, but then they might have had to cut the Pod Goes To The Whorehouse And Doesn't Have To Pay And It's A Laugh Riot scene.

They can't do that! Everyone knows that it's in their contract that there must be a minimum of 5 minutes per episode of topless whore scenes that weren't in the books.

I mean, who cares about the dedicated fan base. Their average viewers have spoken, with a resounding "more boobs, less story development!"

Liked them both and enjoyed their scenes. Robb laughing reflects more poorly on him than Edmure, really. Seriously dude, you're a king and your grandfather is dead, suck it up ffs.

Robb laughing was ridiculous. Laughing at his grandfather's funeral beside his grieving mother? Come on buddy. Same with the Blackfish pushing his nephew...his dad just DIED, give him a break jeez. Agree with the poster above who said that the Cat and Brynden scene was well done though. Really loved that bit.

This is one of the few things I didn't like.(and i usally dont mind changes)I just dont like how much more of an idiot Edmire is.I hate how mean and rude they were to him at the funearl.He just lost his father, of course he wont be able to aim well.

I loved The Blackfish in all of his scenes. I don't have a problem with him shoving Edmure because I always found him to be an arrogant dolt seeking glory and failing ,miserably, at it. His heart was in the right place as far as the small folk was concerned, but overall, he is not the sharpest tool in the shed and he has a major inferiority complex.

Archived