What was the word Brienne shouted out? [Spoilers]

CARNINJA68

I was going to hit report to get a mod to take care of it, but I guess mormont already did! :P

I had zero idea of what brienne had shouted, I thought she would've said Arya or something like that! (Since Brienne had just found out track of the younger Stark girl).

But now that it's been clarified that it was "sword" from the other Citadel Report it makes perfect sense. Thanks for the source Jaqen!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just read this chapter and I was thinking of a word she could have said to get their attention. I thought jokingly Sapphires like Jaime did with the Brave Companions. At first i thought it might have been Arya meaning Arya is alive, Ned meaning his sword, Ice meaning Oathkeeper was forged from Ned's sword Ice, and a whole bunch of other words but sword makes sense as she had a choice. Sword meaning she saves Podrick Payne an innocent and she can swear her sword to Uncat and she can kill Jaime, but she can also resume her quest to find her daughters and if she returns her daughters then her oath has been kept the first one and she would not have to keep her second. Brienne is determined to keep all vows she makes and is honorable as Ned Stark even if it pains her to do something.

When Eddard's bones were brought back Cat noticed immediately the sword was not Ice and knew it was still in KL, so I figure Lady Stoneheart would also recognize that this was part Ice.

• 11 months later...

When I read it I assumed she either called out Jaime or Podrick's name, since (if I'm remembering right) the book spent a while describing how the squire was hanging right before she shouted, but if GRRM said it was sword, I guess we have to take his word for it, even if that is a bit disappointing.

When I read it I assumed she either called out Jaime or Podrick's name, since (if I'm remembering right) the book spent a while describing how the squire was hanging right before she shouted, but if GRRM said it was sword, I guess we have to take his word for it, even if that is a bit disappointing.

Why be disappointed? :) The question Brienne was asked was "sword or noose?" after all..

“She says that you must choose. Take the sword and slay the Kingslayer, or be hanged for a betrayer. The sword or the noose, she says. Choose, she says. Choose.”

Why be disappointed? :) The question Brienne was asked was "sword or noose?" after all..

I said it was disappointing because choosing sword meant that she would give into the outlaws and betray Jaime, which definitely seems like it goes against her ethics and all that.

I predict that when she confronts Jaime, he'll say something like we're not so different now that we're both oathbreakers, and the two of them will either hunt down Stoneheart together, or it will drive her to kill him and she'll go on to do all kinds of horrible things.

Is it clear if Pod is dead or not?

As far as I remember his death is not clearly stated but... Difficult to think otherwise..

Or do you think there's still hope?

GRRM confirmed that one of the reasons that she shouted "sword" was to safe the life of innocent Podrick.. I have taken that to mean that he isn't dead yet.. ;) Though I wouldn't call his situation safe. He'll most likely be kept as a hostage to ensure that Brienne does whatever Lady Stoneheart wants her to do.

GRRM confirmed that one of the reasons that she shouted "sword" was to safe the life of innocent Podrick.. I have taken that to mean that he isn't dead yet.. ;) Though I wouldn't call his situation safe. He'll most likely be kept as a hostage to ensure that Brienne does whatever Lady Stoneheart wants her to do.

Thank you!

Archived