[NO SPOILERS] On Benioff, musical chairs and white horses.

Loras

I agree the direction was better than last episode, and this episode is been the better so far.

However, I didn't like the Pod and whores scene, and the song at the end (I don't think it's a bad song. I just think it doesn't fit with the moment or with the Middle Age).

And am I the only one who didn't like the music chairs scene?

Besides that also what are gonna do with him? Just torture him for 2 seasons?

Was he in the book? No. Then cut him for a season.

For the record I prefer Theon to a few other characters, but their stories should not be reduced so that he can be present. Jon and Arya's scenes have been significantly reduced this season in favour of including Theon.

Was he in the book? No. Then cut him for a season.

For the record I prefer Theon to a few other characters, but their stories should not be reduced so that he can be present. Jon and Arya's scenes have been significantly reduced this season in favour of including Theon.

You are aware that you can't just tell actors to sit out for 2 years and then expect them to have made time for a major part in season 5. Theon needed a story this season and will probably have one next season. I don't really see any problem with it though I agree he should be lower priority.

You are aware that you can't just tell actors to sit out for 2 years and then expect them to have made time for a major part in season 5. Theon needed a story this season and will probably have one next season. I don't really see any problem with it though I agree he should be lower priority.

I'm pretty sure the actors have all signed multi-year contracts so I'm not sure why an actor couldn't sit out for one season (assuming Theon would show up in season 4 when his ADwD material would begin). If anyone knows a reason for why this couldn't happen I will happily admit that I'm wrong. But I imagine the main reason for including Theon was because he's D&D's favourite character, not because of contractual issues.

My main problem with the Theon storyline is that other stories are being cut in favour of it.

I think it works as Rapsie says, there are a lot of flashbacks, so if they only keep a few Theon scenes in it works super well.

I do hope they don't waste a LOT of screen time on Theon though, as much as I love him, he'll be important to the later series.

i want to see more bran, jon and sansa!

As much as I love Theon's arc, they need to limit his appearances. We haven't spent nearly enough time with Jon and the wildlings, given that Jon's arc is one of the most important ones that occurs in the books. They haven't showed his loyalty to the NW being tested yet. Oh, and we're 3 episodes in? Why haven't we heard about Balon Greyjoy yet?

I think it works as Rapsie says, there are a lot of flashbacks, so if they only keep a few Theon scenes in it works super well.

I do hope they don't waste a LOT of screen time on Theon though, as much as I love him, he'll be important to the later series.

i want to see more bran, jon and sansa!

I agree that flashbacks are a problem and one way to deal with them is by showing the story in a linear chronology... But I think it would have been so much more powerful having Theon missing for a season and opening season 4 showing him a broken man (much like in ADwD). We'd see his fear of Ramsay but not understand why, until we see what Ramsay does to him and suddenly we start to realise what must have been happening for an entire season (and during this time a lot of the hate for Theon would have cooled down anyway).

I don't know. I just think Theon's story was incredibly powerful in ADwD, and I think stretching it for so long is really going to prove detrimental.

To be fair, they are also using Theon to introduce Ramsay. (who didn't get his intro from the books)

A review I read recently on this site (by 'NotYourSir', I think) made an excellent argument: why was Ramsay excluded if the show had the time and budget to include Dagmer Cleftjaw?

For that reason I'm left believing that they deliberately delayed Ramsay's appearance so that they had a reason to include Theon this season.

I agree that flashbacks are a problem and one way to deal with them is by showing the story in a linear chronology... But I think it would have been so much more powerful having Theon missing for a season and opening season 4 showing him a broken man (much like in ADwD). We'd see his fear of Ramsay but not understand why, until we see what Ramsay does to him and suddenly we start to realise what must have been happening for an entire season (and during this time a lot of the hate for Theon would have cooled down anyway).

I don't know. I just think Theon's story was incredibly powerful in ADwD, and I think stretching it for so long is really going to prove detrimental.

I certainly see where you're coming from. :) And I agree that there are certain characters that are severely lacking in screen time at the moment.

I think a few scattered Theon scenes this series would have been good, I hope they don't give him 5 minutes or so every episode though. :(

The same with Tyrion, he's given TOO. MUCH.. SCREEN TIME when characters like Jon, Arya, Sansa and Bran's story lines are definitely not being explored enough. :(

I'm pretty sure the actors have all signed multi-year contracts so I'm not sure why an actor couldn't sit out for one season (assuming Theon would show up in season 4 when his ADwD material would begin). If anyone knows a reason for why this couldn't happen I will happily admit that I'm wrong. But I imagine the main reason for including Theon was because he's D&D's favourite character, not because of contractual issues.

Well aside from potential contracting issues it's not always the best move to keep major characters off screen for too long. It can be done but of course. They also want to introduce Ramsay to tie in with Locke and Roose to show the Bolton's rising to prominence. And of course most of Theon's imprisonment is relayed via flashbacks and internal monologue which would be hard to show on screen. After S3 I wouldn't mind keeping Theon out until the last episode of S4 but I think that Roose and Ramsay need to be kept on-screen.

6 episodes is still quite a lot though, hmm. The screen time I'm most pissed off about is Tyrions.

The only Tyrion scene that was really unnecessary imo was the Tyrion/Shae scene in episode 2. You can argue for the Pod scene as well. I certainly wouldn't have missed it but I don't feel it was entirely useless (it did give Pod some screen time.). It just should have been shorter. Tyrion is one of the main characters of the series and while he's never quite as prominent again as he is in COK he is still amongst the top 3 most important characters imo.

6 episodes is still quite a lot though, hmm. The screen time I'm most pissed off about is Tyrions.
I agree.

Besides, Tyrion has been too whitewashed for my liking. I wonder if they are actually going to make him kill Shae, or scape with her to Essos riding in the sunset scaping from the horrors of KL and his father so they can live happy and in love while looking for Dany :ack:

I think 6 chapters is still too much for Theon... I just hope they don't write him some other plot. We all know what happens when they do that *coff*where are ma dragons?*coff"

Archived