Oh. I get it. [spoilers all] [Theon]

NurseNinja

At first I was like: why is ramsey pretending to be a cleaner in the dungeon... and when the killing of his men seemed wastful... and then the sneaking into a greyjoy castle need episode seemed pointlessly risky.

He really is the dungeon cleaner at this point. he wasnt killing his men. he wasnt the one that rouse bolton sent. he really is that lowley at this stage. hes using theon to elevate his position....

Nah you got it all wrong man. Everything, Ramsay had planned. Like a game. His men knew he would set Theon free, he told them to pretend he was just a dungeon sweeper. What they didn't know was that Ramsay would kill them to gain Theon's trust even more.

Nah you got it all wrong man. Everything, Ramsay had planned. Like a game. His men knew he would set Theon free, he told them to pretend he was just a dungeon sweeper. What they didn't know was that Ramsay would kill them to gain Theon's trust even more.

Right. Ramsey is already running the show in Roose's absence

Maybe he wasn't the sweeper but was just coincidentally cleaning up a bit? Spring Autumn cleaning?

In all honesty though he has already taken Winterfell for house Bolton earlier on so there is no doubt that his status is far above sweeping the dungeons. I'm not sure if the men he killed were in on his plot to release Theon but it's a sick mindgame nonetheless.

Are we sure the guys who chased down Theon are the torturers? I could see Ramsay "sacrificing" them either way, but still...

Probably worth bearing in mind that Ramsay is quite explicitly the head honcho of the Dreadfort right now. Roose mentions (multiple times) that his bastard will be the one who leads the attack on Winterfell and takes Prince Theon's head; leading an army and capturing/executing royalty isn't really a job for a legit janitor.

Another suggestion is that the men who went after Theon were Roose's steadfast men, by killing them Ramsay strengthens his own position.

Nope. Because he was clearly pretending to just be a cleaner, and they were clearly in on it. They are his pawns, and he put them down for his own silent amusement.

Yeah, this is what I thought anyway.

Nope. Because he was clearly pretending to just be a cleaner, and they were clearly in on it. They are his pawns, and he put them down for his own silent amusement.

They may well have played along with the game, thinking it was funny, but not realising Ramsay would also use it as a opportunity to strengthen his position. Roose says in the books that 'The Bastards Boys' are loyal to him but still play along with Ramsay, it might not be too significant a deviation for Ramsay to have worked this out in the show.

Im hoping they stay closer to the books than that.

When have they ever done what we hope?

Seconded. My thoughts exactly.

I'm pretty sure everything is just a ploy to convince Theon that he's a friend and the viewer that he's a sociopath on a level that puts Joffrey to shame.

This. Physical torture of Theon would not be enough to break him, and to keep the viewers interested all season. We need the mind games as well.

Ramsay is a sociopath. He is playing this scenario out almost like he is playing with dolls, Reek being his favourite. It is almost like he is compensating for something missing in his own life. A father figure for one, lol. He uses his power, then, to indulge his desires. I see him almost as a child with dolls. He wants Reek alive because he is like his walking work of art, he takes bits off him and adds to him, changes his personality. etc.

Hm perhaps he never kills his own men unless he can frame it on another. For instance, he must kill all four chasing Theon to leave no witnesses in his own group. He can blame the deaths on Theon. His men would understand that soldiers die now and then during dangerous activities. But little do they know the Bastard is playing around with their lives. He'd only bring 1-2 men to kill on smaller activities, and go so far as to kill 4 men chasing his new favourite toy

Archived