Vulture interview hints at "controversial" Sansa chapter in TWoW

Eir

What would be controversial--"controversial" implying that fans won't like it--involving Sweetrobin if it weren't Sansa acquiescing to harming Sweetrobin, though? I also strongly disagree that it would not be a credible development to see Sansa knowingly contributing to Sweetrobin's death: if this happens, it would have been foreshadowed by Sansa cooperating with framing Marillion and by Sansa's cavalier attitude towards Robin being dosed with sweetsleep despite Maester Colemon's objections.

I see we have different ideas on what constitutes foreshadowing then. LF all but made sure that she had no choice but to go along with framing Marillion, and the "cavalier" attitude towards SR was not because she wanted to see him dead or come to any harm, but due to the fact that she knew he needed to be presentable on the way down the Mountain and that he was likely to suffer another attack. Everything we've seen so far has underscored Sansa's compassion - even though it may be slightly reluctant- towards the child. Going along with killing him makes no sense.

Lemoncakes fans will enjoy it?

We don't know if it's the same chapter though. I always thought that the lemoncakes reference was referring to a chapter that was held back from ADWD. This "controversial" chapter could very well be a later one in TWOW.

I think we could see Sansa using the poisoned hairnet against someone. It would be controversial in that we've never seen Sansa willingly commit an act of violence and it would still be credible in that she's pretty much at a crossroads after that last AFFC chapter. However, controversial could really be relating to any number of things at this point.

Please correct me if I am wrong. But, isn`t the word contoversial assesment of the journalist, and not Elio? It`s not the quote from something he said, then observation of the journalist. And he/she hadn`t read the chapter. So, I wouldn`t be so sure to expect something controversial at all.

So we probably won't get this chapter will we?

I have a hard time believing that any chapter that has a truly shocking moment will be utilized as a sample chapter, be it in the paperback, on the author's website or in a public reading to fans. I also find it curious how a Theon chapter has been used on the website, Arianne, Barristan, Tyrion and Victarion chapters have been read, and even an Aeron chapter has been offered, but Sansa chapters are never mentioned.

Has ADWD not been released as a paperback in the US yet?

No; it has been repeatedly delayed, I assume, because of the continuing success of hardcover sales.

I think this will be Sansa doing something sexual (really sexual not make believe) or starting to work on a plan with Littlefinger but double crossing him. If fans are going to be shocked but happy then it would most likely mean Sansa is doing something unexpected but not entirely unwanted.

If Sansa did knowingly acquiesce to Sweetrobin's murder, it would be extremely controversial. Without knowing how exactly it would shake out in TWOW, I'm guessing many would argue that Sansa had no choice, that Littlefinger was manipulating her, that she was just trying to restore her family's legacy (through going along with Littlefinger's plan), that Sweetrobin was going to die anyway and it was a mercy to spare him, etc. etc. Many would counter that this was proof positive that Sansa had crossed the line, that she was irredeemable, that Littlefinger had successfully corrupted her, etc. etc. I can envision the flame wars being visible from space.

If I'm honest, I don't think this is something Sansa couldn't bounce back from. All her siblings have done something to make them more gray and less innocent. Depending on how it's positioned, I think she could redeem herself. However, she's been working on redemption and recreating herself for a while now so I don't know if that will be truly controversial.

If GRRM sunk SanSan, that would be controversial.

Actually, it would be the answer to many prayers for this insane idea to end.

Please correct me if I am wrong. But, isn`t the word contoversial assesment of the journalist, and not Elio? It`s not the quote from something he said, then observation of the journalist. And he/she hadn`t read the chapter. So, I wouldn`t be so sure to expect something controversial at all.

One has to assume the journalist was either told some of the contents of the chapter or was told either by the author or by Ran that the chapter was going to prove controversial among readers. It could be the assessment of any one of the three, the three together or a combination thereof.

One has to assume the journalist was either told some of the contents of the chapter or was told either by the author or by Ran that the chapter was going to prove controversial among readers. It could be the assessment of any one of the three, the three together or a combination thereof.

So, basically, we don`t know whether GRRM or Ran told it was controversial, or it was just journalist`s impression. I mean that line can be interpreted, he has been reading WoW, and there is Sansa chapter which like half of them will divide fandom about her actions. All in all, it`s not clear who said it, but you have a point that we would have to assume in order to debate controversy.

Now that Aegon Targaryen has landed Littlefinger needs to adjust to play the game.

He is going to need to utilize the armies of the vale and the onyl way to do that is take Robin out of the picture, her own cousin.

Littlefinger can't be anywhere near the incident of his death so he will ask Sansa to do it while he leaves for a "Trip."

Please correct me if I am wrong. But, isn`t the word contoversial assesment of the journalist, and not Elio?

As with all interviews, sometimes bits get cut to tighten it up... I'm pretty sure what I said was that I thought the chapter might be controversial in some quarters of the fandom. I guess that means it could well be controversial. But, who knows, my assessment might be wrong.

As with all interviews, sometimes bits get cut to tighten it up... I'm pretty sure what I said was that I thought the chapter might be controversial in some quarters of the fandom. I guess that means it could well be controversial. But, who knows, my assessment might be wrong.

Very excited. Guess you can't tell us anymore. :)

Thank you. In interview it wasn`t clear whether author quoted you or was it just author`s assessment. And you said it. OK, now I have a lot to think about :). Sadly you can`t elaborate that, and I`ll now pull Sheldon Cooper with spoiler alert `you prepared me for controversy` :).

Again, thanks for clarification. I really appreciate it.

LOL

Back on topic, I knew it! I knew it! She's gonna kill SR herself! :D :D

And it's perfectly within character. She has already endangered his life, both with sweetsleep and the descendent from the Eyrie in order to promote her (well, Littlefinger's, but it's hers as well for the time being) political agenda.

LOL

Back on topic, I knew it! I knew it! She's gonna kill SR herself! :D :D

And it's perfectly within character. She has already endangered his life, both with sweetsleep and the descendent from the Eyrie in order to promote her (well, Littlefinger's, but it's hers as well for the time being) political agenda.

If you'll recall the chapter in question, Sansa was tasked with getting a sickly, near hysterical child down a dangerous Mountain. She had to make the hard call on the sweetsleep, but it's a giant leap to claim that she'd be willing to see him dead in order to reclaim Winterfell through a marriage to HtH. That is not in keeping with Sansa's character.

Couple of theories

1) LF rapes/molests her

2) LF attempts to rape/molest her and she kills him

3) somebody else (Harry the Heir) attempts to rape/molest her

4) She kills/helps kill sweet Robin.

5) She kills/betrays/helps kill someone else innocent or BlackFish or Sandor or someone we (as reader) consider to be good guy/gal

Nothing else would be considered "controversial" and that including her dying

Some more to be considered "controversial":

-She refuses her marriage annuled (so no HtH wedding)

-She remarries (as Alayne) though she's still married

-She takes a liking to HtH, or seduces him

-She reveals the truth about Lysa, and blames the Marillion incident only to Littlefinger

-She becomes Lady Alayne Stoneheart

-She denies Sansa Stark or her family (well, so someone won't suspect/dig more of her true identity), or she embraces Alayne (not for long though)

-She has a secret relationship, or a controversial relationship

-She brainwashes/manipulates SR, or uses him as pawn

-She meets someone who's willing to help her escape but refuses

-She brings down Cersei, kills her husband or one of Cersei's children (not really likely, but just adding here)

-She allies herself with someone we never thought about

-She made the Freys pay (using Littlefinger's influence)

Any more theories to keep us busy getting nuts until tWOW release? :P

If you'll recall the chapter in question, Sansa was tasked with getting a sickly, near hysterical child down a dangerous Mountain. She had to make the hard call on the sweetsleep, but it's a giant leap to claim that she'd be willing to see him dead in order to reclaim Winterfell through a marriage to HtH. That is not in keeping with Sansa's character.

Or she could have seen that SR descended in the basket, which was far safer, but would give the Lords Declarant a bad impression.

I don't recall if Littlefinger gaveorders about how SR had to descend from the Eyrie or if he left the matter in Sansa's hands.

Or she could have seen that SR descended in the basket, which was far safer, but would give the Lords Declarant a bad impression.

I don't recall if Littlefinger gaveorders about how SR had to descend from the Eyrie or if he left the matter in Sansa's hands.

She did have him descend in the basket.

It can be anything: think that it says a chapter, not the first chapter. So perhaps in this particular controversial chapter the story has developed enough for her to meet the Hound, or marry Harry, or kill Littlefinger or playing a part in Robert's death or none or all of the above.

Archived