Vulture interview hints at "controversial" Sansa chapter in TWoW

Eir

Controversy? In a series like this one? Hard for me to imagine what could be controversial given all that has happened so far. It's even hard to imagine what more the author could do to surprise.

Certainly nothing having to so with Sweet Robin or Littlefinger would be surprising. People have wrung out many theories on that. Littlefinger is ambitious for something however, and I'm not sure that it's to personally be the first to get into Sansa's smallclothes, in spite of his "grooming behavior." He seems to be a man with a plan, and Sansa is a tool.

Perhaps if Sansa's undead mother will show up in the Vale and Sansa will have to kill her? (gross, but perhaps not controversial)

Perhaps if Brienne and Jaime show up and Sansa falls in love with either of them? (not gross, but perhaps controversial for some who want Sansa to end up with someone else)

The possibilities seem endless...

Since this is most likely the first Sansa chapter of TWoW I don't expect anything all that horribly.

Sansa is most likely just meekly going along with Littlefinger's plan: Trying to seduce Harrold Hardyng. And this may be controversial because most readers seem to expect that Sansa is going to turn against Littlefinger. That's something that may happen eventually is the story, but not in the next chapter (or in the next volume of the series) if you ask me.

If somebody is going to become a problem to Littlefinger's plans with Sansa in the foreseeable future it will be Myranda Royce, Lord Nestor's daughter. Sansa already has revealed herself to her in the last Alayne chapter when she let it slip that she knew the name of Ned Stark's bastard on the Wall.

Lady Myranda won't try to sell Sansa to the Lannisters, but she seems to be smarter than her father and quite ambitious. She may try to use Sansa for her own plans, and to do this she may try to put a wedge between Littlefinger and Sansa.

Ser Shadrich won't pose a threat in the near future, in my opinion, but he is one of Varys' agents, and he may cause some trouble for Littlefinger should he try to interfere with Varys' plans...

Ser Shadrich won't pose a threat in the near future, in my opinion, but he is one of Varys' agents, and he may cause some trouble for Littlefinger should he try to interfere with Varys' plans...

Do you think Ser Shadrich is outright an agent of Varys (and thus of the Blackfyres, by implication)? I've considered this myself, but AFAIK we can't yet discount the possibility that Shadrich is a random bounty hunter looking to get the reward Varys' promised on behalf of Cersei (and which now would presumably be paid out by Qyburn instead, with Varys long gone from his former post).

If the Mad Mouse indeed works for Varys directly, than he could potentially be succesful in a Sansa abduction by calling in a support crew (and a boat?) from his "mecenas" Varys. If he works alone, he would have a very hard time getting Sansa out of the Vale even if he could convince her to come along or if he could otherwise manage to smuggle her out of the Gates of the Moon.

The problem with Sansa being successfully abducted from the Vale by Varys' agents--or anyone, for that matter--is that we would lose our eyes and ears in the Vale (unless by some miracle Jaime survives his encounter with Stoneheart and winds up in the Vale with Brienne). I doubt GRRM would go to all that trouble to flesh out Vale politics, establish the key players, and position Sansa to play a big role in control over one of the few well-provisioned, reasonably stable areas of Westeros (especially when the North is going to be in desperate need of supplies) if he were just going to have some random dude whisk her away.

I've been thinking lately about what Brienne says to Jaime about the hound having Sansa a day's ride away. Commonly it is assumed that this is some kind of trick on Brienne's part to get Jaime to LS because LS is blackmailing her with Pod and Ser Hyle's lives.

What if Brienne is actually telling the truth?

Perhaps the "something controversial" involves a reunion with the Hound in some way?

Sorry if this has been brought up - I only skimmed the previous 16 pages, search function is kaput as usual and google search turned up nothing.

I've been thinking lately about what Brienne says to Jaime about the hound having Sansa a day's ride away. Commonly it is assumed that this is some kind of trick on Brienne's part to get Jaime to LS because LS is blackmailing her with Pod and Ser Hyle's lives.

What if Brienne is actually telling the truth?

Perhaps the "something controversial" involves a reunion with the Hound in some way?

The first problem with this is that Sansa would have to be a "day's ride" from wherever Brienne and Jaime are for Brienne not to be lying, and I'm pretty sure that unless Sansa skedaddled from the Vale while no one was looking, that would be very unlikely. The second problem is that Brienne stated not just that the Hound was with Sansa, but that the Hound was going to kill Sansa.

The reason for Brienne's statement about the Hound and Sansa is that it's an instant signal to the reader not just that Brienne is mistaken, but that Brienne is lying. She "knows" that the Hound is dead (from the Elder Brother), so talking about the Hound as if he's alive is a clear indication that she's lying. If that weren't enough, she states that Sansa is a "day's ride" away and that the Hound is going to kill Sansa (both of which signal to the reader that she's lying, as these two things cannot be true).

The reason for Brienne's statement about the Hound and Sansa is that it's an instant signal to the reader not just that Brienne is mistaken, but that Brienne is lying. She "knows" that the Hound is dead (from the Elder Brother), so talking about the Hound as if he's alive is a clear indication that she's lying. If that weren't enough, she states that Sansa is a "day's ride" away and that the Hound is going to kill Sansa (both of which signal to the reader that she's lying, as these two things cannot be true).

You've pretty much summed up what I think is the most common interpretation of Brienne's statements to Jaime. I agree that your explanation is most likely and what the reader is "supposed" to believe.

We all know that GRRM likes to play with our expectations though. Perhaps there is more truth to what Brienne is saying than commonly thought. I agree that the Hound would not actually harm Sansa, but Brienne does not know this. The "Hound" might not be really the "Hound", but one of the pretenders that seem to be all over the riverlands. Sansa might not actually be Sansa (a la Jayne Poole & Arya). The Hound might really be the Hound and Sansa might really be Sansa and Brienne just thinks that the Hound is going to kill her (because that seems like a reasonably assumption for anyone who hasn't read Sansa's POV).

Like I said you're probably right, but I've been thinking about the alternatives lately.

Why is sex the go to for so many people concerning a Sansa controversy?

What was the last controversial sex scene? I don't really consider any of them really controversial in this fictional setting.

I really think it is going to be something non-sex related concerning a questionable decision that she will make against a well-liked character. Or a questionable decision *for* a well-disliked character!

Sansa has Sweetrobin murdered and has littlefinger arrested for the crime, then in the next chapter executes him by beheading him herself mirroring Jon's second POV in Dance of Jon beheading Slynt. Would be kind of ironic since Slynt was in Littlefinger's pocket.

Sansa has Sweetrobin murdered and has littlefinger arrested for the crime, then in the next chapter executes him by beheading him herself mirroring Jon's second POV in Dance of Jon beheading Slynt. Would be kind of ironic since Slynt was in Littlefinger's pocket.

Yeah that sounds like her.

Hello I am new to the forum. Just to liven things up, here are some other totally wild things that could happen if GRRM wanted to change the direction of Sansa's story. A bit deus ex machina here and there, but I would not put that past GRRM what with Dany returned to the Dothraki by dragonback at the end of the last book:

1) Like Lord Freypie suggested above, Sansa could flee LF and join Tyrion. My version would have them consummate their marriage as a businesslike propositon to secure the marriage and prevent an annulment, which would give her Tyrion's protection and him claims to both Winterfell AND Casterly Rock. Then they could join with either Tommen or Dany or Aegon or Myrcella or Dorne or even the escaped slaves Dany has abandoned now. I would envision Tyrion and Sansa would fall in love over time, like Sansa's parents did, and she would give him many heirs, at least one dwarf in the bunch.

2) Sansa flees on her own and declares for Dany.

3) Sansa dies in childbirth - could be the child of LF or Tyrion or the Hound or a rape.

3) Sansa flees LF and declares for Stannis, joining the Red preistesses faith. She could help get some poor kid with royal blood killed.

4) Sansa meets up with Jeyne Poole somehow, outs her as fakeArya in the wrong context, and gets Jeyne killed.

5) Sansa flees LF and declares for Asha Greyjoy.

6) Sansa marries a Greyjoy.

6) Sansa flees to Dorne on her own and declares for Myrcella .

7) Sansa flees LF and marries the Blackfish.

8) Sansa commits suicide.

9) Sansa meets up with the pregnant Jeyne Poole. Jeyne dies in childbirth, and Sansa takes her child to raise, claiming it is as Arya's child and her nephew/neice. And then marries Theon Greyjoy or LF or the Heir to the Vale or whoever for the security of the child.

10) Sansa flees to the wall and develops a crush on Jon. They never thought of each other in a very warm way before; she doesnlt really see him as her brother.

11) Sansa joins up with Danay and marries Jorah Mormont.

12) Sansa meets up with UnCat and kills her for once and all.

Obviously these are complete flights of fancy, but they would throw a wrench in the plot for kicks.

I think the most simple and plausible controversy will be Sansa minipulating sweet Robin by breast feeding him replacing Lysa and possibly killing littlefinger.

The vale and Sansa are intertwined in this story until the end imo.

:huh: Sansa would have had to at least have been pregnant or she wouldn't have any milk, unless you meant breastfeeding as a sexual euphemism.

Hello I am new to the forum. Just to liven things up, here are some other totally wild things that could happen if GRRM wanted to change the direction of Sansa's story. A bit deus ex machina here and there, but I would not put that past GRRM what with Dany returned to the Dothraki by dragonback at the end of the last book:

1) Like Lord Freypie suggested above, Sansa could flee LF and join Tyrion. My version would have them consummate their marriage as a businesslike propositon to secure the marriage and prevent an annulment, which would give her Tyrion's protection and him claims to both Winterfell AND Casterly Rock. Then they could join with either Tommen or Dany or Aegon or Myrcella or Dorne or even the escaped slaves Dany has abandoned now. I would envision Tyrion and Sansa would fall in love over time, like Sansa's parents did, and she would give him many heirs, at least one dwarf in the bunch

Not really suggested she would join him, just developp some guilt fueled sentiment for him and refuse to ask for her marriage annulation. If the chapter is early in the book she's a little too far to meet Tyrion,

I don't see her crossing half the world to consummate the marriage, nor Tyrion returning in Westeros that fast..

If she has an opportunity to leave it would be either kidnapped by Mad Mouse, or with some Royce of the Vale, Jaime/Brienne, Sandor or Brynden.

In most cases one the likeliest controversial thing may be that she refuse to leave LF to follow them, and may even get them jailed or killed.

Can someone please explain to me the logic behind Sansa abandoning the Great One (the man who, regardless of his intentions, saved her from KL and the Lannisters) and rejoining her twisted Lannister husband?

For the moment, unless I am proved spectacularly wrong, the Great One and Sansa's fates are intertwined.

Archived