Vulture interview hints at "controversial" Sansa chapter in TWoW

Eir

This quote is troubling. I wonder if there will be a greater divide between Sansa and Alayne in the next book.

Ohhhh...I mentioned one thing that could happen is that Sansa has a psychotic break.

What if she developes Multiple Personality Disorder? (Known as Dissociative Identity Disorder now)

Diagnostic criteria for 300.14 Dissociative Identity Disorder

(DSM IV - TR)

(cautionary statement)

A. The presence of two or more distinct identities or personality states (each with its own relatively enduring pattern of perceiving, relating to, and thinking about the environment and self).

B. At least two of these identities or personality states recurrently take control of the person's behavior.

C. Inability to recall important personal information that is too extensive to be explained by ordinary forgetfulness.

D. The disturbance is not due to the direct physiological effects of a
(e.g., blackouts or chaotic behavior during
) or a general medical condition (e.g., complex partial seizures). Note: In children, the
are not attributable to imaginary playmates or other fantasy play.

Ohhhh...I mentioned one thing that could happen is that Sansa has a psychotic break.

What if she developes Multiple Personality Disorder? (Known as Dissociative Identity Disorder now)

Diagnostic criteria for 300.14 Dissociative Identity Disorder

(DSM IV - TR)

(cautionary statement)

A. The presence of two or more distinct identities or personality states (each with its own relatively enduring pattern of perceiving, relating to, and thinking about the environment and self).

B. At least two of these identities or personality states recurrently take control of the person's behavior.

C. Inability to recall important personal information that is too extensive to be explained by ordinary forgetfulness.

D. The disturbance is not due to the direct physiological effects of a
(e.g., blackouts or chaotic behavior during
) or a general medical condition (e.g., complex partial seizures). Note: In children, the
are not attributable to imaginary playmates or other fantasy play.

Ooooh this is interesting. I definitely agree that she may have some kind of identity disorder in the next book. Sansa's story arc up until this point has been all about keeping a face, appear as someone she isn't, and finally she takes up a bastard name and actually pretends to be someone else, Littlefinger's daughter.

There are a lot of duality in Sansa's chapters, don't want this post to be so lengthy so I'll just mention the latest one, that she seperates Littlefinger and Petyr as two different personalities of the same man. She thinks Petyr is her warm and funny protector while Littlefinger is the schemer and the manipulator, and she admits she can't recall which one ends and which one begins. She's conflicted about her feelings about him as a person.

Then we have her shifts back to Sansa in her thoughts, and the most important one in AFFC that GRRM has said will have some importance in the future is the false memory of UnKiss. The memory ends with "That day was done, and so was Sansa." We are getting signs of her possibly splitting her personality in two as well, by appointing that memory to Sansa and not her as she considers herself, Alayne.

There was a thread about this back then, I think someone had said that Sansa may do things as her Alayne persona that Sansa herself may find morally dubious and never do. She may redirect whatever she does to her other persona, by saying things like "I didn't do this, Alayne did." This has my curiousity now... and you both are onto something indeed.

The other controversial topic might be about her sexuality as has been mentioned here by many people. "Some quarters of the fandom" might be the ones that find the sexuality of younger than average people of our times gross or disgusting. So if Sansa actually has sex in this novel some people might flip out and find this revolting. On the other hand if it is with someone Sansa desires (other than LF ofc, gods forbid), I think a good chunk of the readers will have no problem with it. But since the age of maturity in Westeros is 16, some people might still argue that Sansa cannot "legally" consent to sleep with someone at such a young age. Anyways, it can be quite a lot of things and this news has amped up my excitement for the next Sansa chapter that was already bordering on obsession for me. :P

So if Sansa actually has sex in this novel some people might flip out and find this revolting.

Possibly. This book has several characters Sansa's age having consensual, supposedly non-problematic sex, though (Tysha, Dany, etc.). If the sex is with Littlefinger, on the other hand...

Again, she seems to be switching fairly easily between "Sansa" and "Alayne," about the same way Arya switches between her different personas in Braavos, and no one thinks Arya is going to go crazy. I mean, sure, GRRM could go this direction--what with loca Tully women (UnCat, Lysa) being a thing--but it doesn't seem likely.

Sadly, [Mya/Alayne] would be way too awesome for Martin. (If we talk about "hook-up" as in legit romance, not just some gratituous repeat of the Dany-Handmaiden-weaksauce):

Legit romance between women in ASOIAF, as opposed to a last-resort, purely sexual hook-up because a man isn't available? What deviltry is this? (GRRM's track record on this stuff is so ugh, I can't even...)

but why would blackfish ever do that? sansa is still married to tyrion and until his dead body is brought back to westeros, connecting sansa to winterfell is too dangerous. blackfish, of all people, will realize that. also, the rumor is blackfish has jeyne with him so it is very unlikely that he will choose to forget robb's wishes.

The Jeyne rumor is just a rumor with little textual evidence(besides how is he supposed to be dragging a pregnant high born girl through the war torn Riverlands?) And a lot of Sansa plotting is blocked by her being married, this one is no different.

It was more a thought I had- especially since the Tully words are Family, Duty, Honor- and Jon isn't family. *shrugs*

All the LF/Sansa sex speculation seems to me to be much more controversial than Ran implied- it isn't something that maybe might be controversial in some parts of fandom- or not. SR poisoning is better. But it may not even be something Sansa does at all- just something that happens in her chapter, although that is probably wishful thinking on my part.

The Jeyne rumor is just a rumor with little textual evidence(besides how is he supposed to be dragging a pregnant high born girl through the war torn Riverlands?) And a lot of Sansa plotting is blocked by her being married, this one is no different.

It was more a thought I had- especially since the Tully words are Family, Duty, Honor- and Jon isn't family. *shrugs*

All the LF/Sansa sex speculation seems to me to be much more controversial than Ran implied- it isn't something that maybe might be controversial in some parts of fandom- or not. SR poisoning is better. But it may not even be something Sansa does at all- just something that happens in her chapter, although that is probably wishful thinking on my part.

i don't think jeyne is pregnant but yes, it would be difficult to be on the run with a high born lady. as for sansa's marriage, yes, it is a block to a great many things. i believe that was the point of it. it certainly wasn't to bring this crazy kids together in love. and no, i don't think sansa will be having sex with lf but i wouldn't be surprised if she becomes more united with him. for a while at least. i don't see sansa becoming lf the second or becoming a couple.

Again i dont think it would be a LF Sansa sex scene because that would only makes the character LF really stupid as Sansa maidenhead is a very important factor for future prospects and LF knows this..if not he would have tried doing that after Lysa death...

Controversial and shocking is not the same if you ask me..I think it involves a character doing something that the readers and hardcore fans are against with..

'Controversial' is a single word and driving me crazy..Accio manuscript TWOF

I think I know what is going on here - and I’m not sure I like it much…

• Lord Petyr Baelish
  • Lord Paramount of the Trident
  • Lord Protector of the Vale
  • Lord of Harrenhall

Allysanne / Alyssa / Allayne / Sansa – something unusual going on here with the names and the stories surrounding them. I wonder if “Allayne” is the version of Sansa that all the bad stuff happens to that she shuts out until she becomes Sansa again? I hope not but I’m concerned… putting that aside though… This is what I think ‘controversial’ means:

WIKI: The First Night or the "Lord's Right" is a mostly extinct marriage tradition in Westeros. Under this tradition, when commoners or peasants married, their lord or king might bed the bride on the first night. This tradition sometimes even allowed kings to bed the wives of nobles on their wedding night, although this rarely took place, as a shrewd ruler would be aware of the resentment this would cause and how easily it could make enemies.

This tradition led some commoners to marry in secret or not inform their lords of the marriage, as they had no wish to share their brides, nor did the bride often wished to be shared. In Westeros, it was practiced for centuries until the reign of Jaehaerys I who, under the advice of his adored Queen Consort Alysanne, banned the tradition. This made Alysanne beloved of the smallfolk, though some lords resented it.

Like I said, I accept that many would find Sansa killing Sweet Robin controversial, I just don't think I would. I think Sansa is fully capable of killing, and cruelty if pushed to it. She is first and foremost a survivor, imo, and I just wouldn't see it as necessarily out of the bounds of her character, and therefor not controversial to me.

Ofcourse in the end much depends on the context in which the murder takes place..

Not even I am cynical enough to think that Sansa would kill Sweetrobin just to remove him from the line of succession to the Eyrie, or because she was sick of caring for him. But, it could be a situation in which she has very little choice, or in which she sees it as a mercy killing.

Loathsome though Marillion was, I don't think that Sansa would have told lies about him, were it not for the fact that she had no choice but to do so.

Not even I am cynical enough to think that Sansa would kill Sweetrobin just to remove him from the line of succession to the Eyrie, or because she was sick of caring for him. But, it could be a situation in which she has very little choice, or in which she sees it as a mercy killing.

Loathsome though Marillion was, I don't think that Sansa would have told lies about him, were it not for the fact that she had no choice but to do so.

I am cynical enough to believe that Sansa might kill him to further Littlefinger's plans. I admit she might do so unintentionally, by drugging him again to further those plans. Sansa was a different girl when she lied about Marillion - but maybe we'll just find out that she now really believes the lies she told about Marillion.

It would be controversial, too, if she is given the opportunity to escape Littlefinger, and chooses to stay with him. Something that might happen if the Blackfish returns to the Vale and recognizes his niece.

Being more on board with the poisoning of SR could be very likely. Even if it is an almost unintentional way where she buys into "helping" him. Certainly she doesn't trust anyone any more, so she maybe will start to be more ruthless in her own self preservation.

Alternatively, she maybe subjected to unpleasants comments or treated coldly because she is a bastard.

Or something completely different.

I firmly believe, and I stand by this, Sansa as "Alayne" will do some really questionable things that are out of Sansa's character. She is going to do something shockingly evil or cruel, perhaps to Sweetrobin. I fear she has gone too far in becoming Alayne, referring even in her head to LF as "Father" and rationalizing her own behavior. LF practically gave her an alternative personality removed from the social pressures of being Sansa Stark in order to allow her to do the types of morally gray things that Sansa would never do.

I hope she has gone too far in becoming Alayne, referring even in her head to LF as "Father" and rationalizing her own behavior. LF practically gave her an alternative personality removed from the social pressures of being Sansa Stark in order to allow her to do the types of morally gray things that Sansa would never do.

Fixed :P

Too bad she didn't get the opportunity to make Joffrey Pies or something :o

I guess "some quarters of the fandom might find the chapter controversial" could go both ways. On the one hand, if it were something really big, one would anticipate all quarters of the fandom to react, not just a few. On the other hand, I think we fans are a pretty desensitized, hardened, jaded bunch five books in; there's been so much darkness and grimness in the books that it would take a lot to cause any kind of controversy. So maybe it is something big.

If it's just the one chapter that's referenced here, it might be a discrete event that's sort of, I guess you might say "contained" within that one chapter: a murder, a death, something to do with a one-off sexual encounter, etc. etc.

I have another idea maybe Blackfish will appear and Sansa won't trust him and will betray him to LF. She trusts LF more than anyone. LF knows almost all her darkest secret and she has never met BF before. He is her family but so was Lysa...

Or there is a chance that controversy won't be about Sansa at all. Maybe someone else fans like like BF, Mya will do something dark.

Archived