Vulture interview hints at "controversial" Sansa chapter in TWoW

Eir

If I'm honest, I don't think this is something Sansa couldn't bounce back from. All her siblings have done something to make them more gray and less innocent. Depending on how it's positioned, I think she could redeem herself. However, she's been working on redemption and recreating herself for a while now so I don't know if that will be truly controversial.

Arya murdered some random guy last book and her fans don't seem to hold it against her permanently, so I don't see why Sansa would.

It can be anything: think that it says a chapter, not the first chapter. So perhaps in this particular controversial chapter the story has developed enough for her to meet the Hound, or marry Harry, or kill Littlefinger or playing a part in Robert's death or none or all of the above.

Very true. It could be anything really. It could also be something that happens, but she's not actually involved with, though I doubt it.

Or she could have seen that SR descended in the basket, which was far safer, but would give the Lords Declarant a bad impression.

I don't recall if Littlefinger gaveorders about how SR had to descend from the Eyrie or if he left the matter in Sansa's hands.

They could only descend part of the way in the basket - which they did - and even then SR was showing signs of going into a fit. What Sansa wanted to avoid was having him strapped to his mule, which would indeed give a bad impression to those at the Gates of the Moon. She may have taken a tough stance, and as readers we know what LF is planning, but she doesn't get the full details of his likely plot to kill SR until the very end of the chapter. Saying that she would suddenly decide to poison him herself ignores the evidence that shows she's still compassionate towards him, and that she doesn't even want to be married again.

ARGHH!! The wait for Winds of winter is going to seem even more endless now! Yes, Sansa's story in the Vale is so difficult to speculate about because there are about 100 ways it could go. There's Ser Shadrich hanging around now who may have recognized her, there's the possibility that Myranda Royce suspects who she really is, there's the possibility that Bronze Yohn Royce suspects who she really is, there's the mystery of the tapestries and the three queens, there's LF's plans to get rid of Sweetrobin, there's LF's plans to marry Sansa to Harry that she is not thrilled about and which would also require an annulment from her marriage to Tyrion, there are Mountain Clans harassing the Vale even more boldly than before and their leaders know what Sansa looks like, there's the fact that the Vale is not that far off from the Quiet Isle where a certain lame gravedigger is hanging around, there's Jaime and Brienne who have wandered off sort of nearby too, and the possibility of the Blackfish turning up in the Vale where he has many friends and allies. It does seem like there's a large amount of significant players hanging around that general area of Westeros at the moment which leads me to believe that something big is being set up there.

My first thought is Sansa doing something drastic; out of character but saving-her-skin move. But I am glad the forum didn't see this coming. Usually the Sansa predictions revolve around "game playing" lessons.

I think either she runs or she starts to fight LF

Sansa marries a White Walker for peace, and together they create House FrostedLemonCake.

I think she'll stumble over Symon stareyes who's an other

As with all interviews, sometimes bits get cut to tighten it up... I'm pretty sure what I said was that I thought the chapter might be controversial in some quarters of the fandom. I guess that means it could well be controversial. But, who knows, my assessment might be wrong.

hmmmmm. controversial in some quarters of the fandom. i believe that might mean the sansanistas. sounds like sansa is about to show what she's capable of and it won't have anything to do with lemon cakes or puppies or empathy.

I personally don't think this is about warging. It wouldn't be controversial: it would be almost expected of her, as it is in her blood. No one would be surprised about it.

"Controversial" has more to do with radical changes in character, unexpected and radical actions or sex stuff. So in this chapter I think we'll witness either a mile stone in her sexual evolution, or some very strong proof that she's growing and ain't taking no shit from anyone anymore. Or maybe murder, since it's out there.

I always had the idea that Littlefinger would attempt to force himself upon her, and once she relents, resorts to violence to have Sansa. In the melee, Sansa ends up killing Littlefinger. Seems shocking enough, especially for someone like Sansa who is not the type to use violence as a method.

Well, not knowing what it is has me unhappy. As others have said there are so many possibilities. Sometimes I wish I didn't read these posts.

Really, I want to read that chapter! It bothers me to be teased like this and know that it's so far off in the future.

Just when I think that I've got it all in hand, I find out that whatever I believe may be shot to seven hells. Ah, the lovely world of GRRM.

Of course, there are other things to be worried about. World peace maybe?

I don't have my copy with me; is Sansa's virginity a part of her marriage deal with Harry? Maybe she purposely loses it to passive-aggressively screw with LF.

Sweet Robin pisses me off, but I wouldn't want Sansa to have his murder on her head, unless there was a lot of character development going on.

Bah, in my headcanon Sansa and Sandor meet up again. D&D will not convince me otherwise.

"Controversial" has more to do with radical changes in character, unexpected and radical actions or sex stuff. So in this chapter I think we'll witness either a mile stone in her sexual evolution, or some very strong proof that she's growing and ain't taking no shit from anyone anymore. Or maybe murder, since it's out there.

I don't think it can be anything too drastic, given that Ran qualified the "controversial" statement with it "might" be controversial "in some quarters of the fandom." If it were something truly extreme, everyone would be up in arms over it, not just "some quarters" of the fandom.

...On the other hand, the books have gotten pretty extreme in general--graphic violence and torture dialed to 11, even more graphic and controversial content, POV characters doing all kinds of horrible things, even the "good" ones--and have gotten pretty extreme when it comes to the Starks: Bran warging into Hodor like it's no big, unknowingly eating other people (the "pork" served by Coldhands and possibly Jojen), Arya killing people in cold blood without a second thought, Jon executing Janos Slynt (not on the same level, but a departure for him). It would be strange if the other Starks get involved in doing some really nasty, disturbing things while Sansa remains much less grey and never treads in any truly dark territory of her own. If GRRM's all about the symmetry, and especially the Arya/Sansa symmetry, Sansa's going to have to get up to some sinister hijinks comparable to Arya eagerly training to be a killer for hire, and "reluctantly acquiescing to Littlefinger's plan to frame Marillion, a rapist who was helping Lysa in her attempt to kill her/playing babysitter to Sweetrobin while remaining completely ignorant of Littlefinger's dark intentions/trying nobly to save Sweetrobin from Littlefinger's machinations once she learns of the poisoning" is not going to cut it...On the other hand, Arya's been killing people since AGOT, and Sansa seems to have a strong aversion to violence and causing pain to others, so who knows?

some very strong proof that she's growing and ain't taking no shit from anyone anymore.

How would this be controversial? "Controversial" implies the certain portions of the fandom would have a problem with it. I don't know of any fan who would have a problem with this. Sansa fans would love it. Fans who don't feel strongly about Sansa one way or the other would probably like it. Heck, even Sansa haters would approve (since Sansa is often decried for being weak or passive).

Bah, in my headcanon Sansa and Sandor meet up again. D&D will not convince me otherwise.

Hey, it could happen. I don't see how Sandor meeting Sansa again would be problematic to the point where some fans might not like it, unless it goes horribly sideways in some way.

It could be both a sexual advance of LF and Sansa killing LF.

LF all like "I'm gonna sex you up" and Sansa be like "Nope" and murders him by accident defending herself.

Again, I don't see how anyone would find this controversial. This would be awesome, not controversial. "Controversial" implies someone would have a problem with it. I don't see anyone having a problem with Littlefinger, the architect of the Starks' misfortunes, being taken out, and by Sansa no less.

sounds like sansa is about to show what she's capable of and it won't have anything to do with lemon cakes or puppies or empathy.

Seems if Sansa was abused/taken advantage of in any way it would be controversial with everyone. So, yeah -- I'm thinking the same.

Archived