ConQuesT 44 in Kansas City

Sounds like some changes from the prior reading: no naval battle near Gulltown now and no military invasion of Dorne - Rhaenys just goes there by herself. Either that or the transcriber didn't do a very good job of it.

Sounds like not too much news apart from She-Wolves now 100% coming after TWoW. That's a shame. The collected volume is going to fairly thin without it. Also surprised that no-one asked about progress on Winds. At Eastercon last year it was all anyone wanted to ask him.

It wasn't anything new.

Rhaenys visits Dorne, alone, and meets with the Princess, who basically tells her to piss off, and the Queen leaves. There isn't a battle then, but it is made clear it take AT LEAST 2 years before Dorne is settled. That doesn't mean there isn't a battle, there just isn't one in the beginning of Aegon's Conquest. At least that's what I got from the reading.

It wasn't anything new.

Rhaenys visits Dorne, alone, and meets with the Princess, who basically tells her to piss off, and the Queen leaves. There isn't a battle then, but it is made clear it take AT LEAST 2 years before Dorne is settled. That doesn't mean there isn't a battle, there just isn't one in the beginning of Aegon's Conquest. At least that's what I got from the reading.

I thought he said Dorne wasn't entirely conquered for another 100 years?

In the links above it says Visenya landed in the Vale, but I think it was Rhaenys. She then left for Dorne. I could be wrong, but that's what I thought he said. And as Ismaris said, it took about 100 years before Dorne was "conquered," the rest of Westerosi houses being extinguished or bending knees in about 2 years time.

During the Blackwater commentary, Martin discussed how much he dislikes when the characters in battle don't wear helmets, because the directors want their faces seen. He told a story about an episode of Twilight Zone he did, it was...King Arthur and Camelot or something, and the director had the character, and therefore his stunt double, take their helmets off for the choreographed battle. The stunt man got his nose chopped off. I cracked up at Martin's description of the guy squealing and people looking for the tip of his nose, when he watched the film reel later. Then said he was okay, because the stunt person's union has good insurance.

In the links above it says Visenya landed in the Vale, but I think it was Rhaenys. She then left for Dorne. I could be wrong, but that's what I thought he said. And as Ismaris said, it took about 100 years before Dorne was "conquered," the rest of Westerosi houses being extinguished or bending knees in about 2 years time.

It was Visenya in the vale. Rhaenys went to Dorne.

And yeah, whether this is known or not, the Starks gathered their banners and went to meet Aegon, but when they saw his army they bent the knee :P

Sounds like not too much news apart from She-Wolves now 100% coming after TWoW. That's a shame.

I can't help but feel that this constitues good news. One more project out of the way. I am all for delaying the encyclopedia as well, so long as it helps to move up the release date for The Winds of Winter.

I can't help but feel that this constitues good news. One more project out of the way. I am all for delaying the encyclopedia as well, so long as it helps to move up the release date for The Winds of Winter.

he definitely discussed the monkeys on his back, and saying "no" to more things asked of him.

he definitely discussed the monkeys on his back, and saying "no" to more things asked of him.

I do find it a tad strange that he is actually planning on releasing the encyclopedia before the series is complete. That seems to defy the usual way of these things. Not that I do not want to read the encyclopedia or another novella from the Tales of Dunk and Egg, but I would much rather read the proper series first.

I do find it a tad strange that he is actually planning on releasing the encyclopedia before the series is complete. That seems to defy the usual way of these things. Not that I do not want to read the encyclopedia or another novella from the Tales of Dunk and Egg, but I would much rather read the proper series first.

My only guess is they want to capitalize on how big GoT is at the moment to drive encyclopedia sales...

Negotiations for The World of Ice and Fire were begun approximately a year before HBO even optioned the series, so no, that really wasn't a consideration. And actually, publishers probably started first floating the idea to George a year before that, since one detail I left out of this was that George asked me over dinner if Linda and I would like to write such a book with him, as he started having publishers ask about a project of that kind. :) So, I guess the real start is 2004... but certainly, things were finally hammered out and settled after AFfC hit the NYT Bestseller list at #1, the first time a novel in the series had done that, and that marked to the publishers that this would be a good time.

And that's not really the usual way of things. WoT, Shanarra, Deryni -- all three settings received guides before the authors had completed with their stories in the setting. I'm sure one can think of other examples in other media -- Star Trek and Star Wars encyclopedias, that sort of thing.

The fact is that a book like this is quite an expensive undertaking on the budget side. It costs a lot more for art and editing and layout than a fiction book, and it's more of a niche product and not likely to be an NYT bestseller, so you kind of have to strike while the iron is hot, or not at all.

It's even more of a good time now, of course -- the series is more widely read than ever -- but waiting until it's all done may actually overshoot the mark, so that's really the thinking.

The fact is that a book like this is quite an expensive undertaking on the budget side. It costs a lot more for art and editing and layout than a fiction book, and it's more of a niche product and not likely to be an NYT bestseller, so you kind of have to strike while the iron is hot, or not at all.

And this is the point I was trying to convey. An encyclopedia would be the sort of product that you want released at the height of a series' fame.

Archived