Kingdoms of the Ifeqevron

Frey Filet

Ran drops a few hints in this thread about some of yet to be explored regions of Essos:

"I'm sure those who've studied up on Dothraki may be able to get a thing or two out of the map that aren't necessarily apparent... *hints* "

"I guess you could say Ifeqevron means 'foreigners', in a very simplistic sense. But it has a more specific translation."

In the above quote he mentions that if you study up on the Dothraki language, it may give you hints of things to come (based on the names of geographical areas on the map). He explicitly mentions the Kindoms of the Ifeqevron and states Ifeqevron loosely means 'foreigner' in Dothraki. I was browsing the Dothraki dictionary and found out 'fekh' means seven..so possibly the Kingdom of the Ifeqevron loosely translates to the Kingdom of the Seven...? This really hasn't been addressed but I get the feeling this region will play a part in one or both of the next two books. Thoughts?

"Ifeqevron" - why the q?? :dunno: Is that supposed to be pronounced "K" ? Or "TCH"? What the hell.

I don't like words that are spelled in weirdo ways* for no purpose but to make them look foreign.

weirdo spelling = a spelling that is unfamiliar and alien to the language in which the story is written even when you take into account that the words of made-up languages may contain unusual sounds.

It's such a crappy trope, I thought only hack writers use it. It thought GRRM was better than that. I'm so going to stop reading ASOAIF. Well not really but it's still bad style.

"Ifeqevron" - why the q?? :dunno: Is that supposed to be pronounced "K" ? Or "TCH"? What the hell.

I don't like words that are spelled in weirdo ways* for no purpose but to make them look foreign.

weirdo spelling = a spelling that is unfamiliar and alien to the language in which the story is written even when you take into account that the words of made-up languages may contain unusual sounds.

It's such a crappy trope, I thought only hack writers use it. It thought GRRM was better than that. I'm so going to stop reading ASOAIF. Well not really but it's still bad style.

Take a deep breath and relax. The letter 'Q' in Dothraki stands for the unvoiced uvular plosive /q/, written the same in IPA. There's a longstanding convention in English to write the unvoiced uvular plosive as 'Q' from our experience with Arabic, like the letter Qoph, the Quran and Iraq. We don't use /q/ in English, /k/- the unvoiced velar plosive, is the closest thing so we substitute it in for ease of translation.

So this is not a case of random apostrophes or pseudo-linguistic drivel, it's internally consistent and isn't worth getting upset over :P I totally agree with you that a lot of writers, even GRRM (R'hllor) use this trope horribly, but in this case I don't really feel it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Ran drops a few hints in this thread about some of yet to be explored regions of Essos: http://asoiaf.wester...2/page__st__120

"I'm sure those who've studied up on Dothraki may be able to get a thing or two out of the map that aren't necessarily apparent... *hints* "

"I guess you could say Ifeqevron means 'foreigners', in a very simplistic sense. But it has a more specific translation."

In the above quote he mentions that if you study up on the Dothraki language, it may give you hints of things to come (based on the names of geographical areas on the map). He explicitly mentions the Kindoms of the Ifeqevron and states Ifeqevron loosely means 'foreigner' in Dothraki. I was browsing the Dothraki dictionary and found out 'fekh' means seven..so possibly the Kingdom of the Ifeqevron loosely translates to the Kingdom of the Seven...? This really hasn't been addressed but I get the feeling this region will play a part in one or both of the next two books. Thoughts?

The Others.

Ifeqevron means "foreigners", but also "the others", "the different ones".

You can find a dictionary of Dothraki here: http://www.dothraki.org/

From what I gather there are a couple of possible translations. One is that Ifeqevron means "the land of the walkers" meaning that the people who live there aren't horsemen (the area seems essentially a large forest, so quite possible). The second one is that it mean "the land of the foreigners", possible referring to the Others. I think this is unlikely because it isn't far enough North imo to really be the land of the Others.

If there are Others anywhere in Essos, I'd say they're beyond Asshai, in the area called "the Grey Waste" or possibly in the unexplored continent of Ulthos.

The translations themselves derive from the following words:

1) Ifat=to walk

2) Ifak=foreigner

Other words that might come in handy when trying to translate "Ifeqevron":

3) Qevir=forest

I suppose a third way to translate Ifeqevron would be "walking forest", maybe there are ents there. :cool4:

ah hah...where did you find this info?

It's just a hunch, because "The Others" come to mean "those who aren't us", which is very similar to "The Foreigners", and "Walkers" is very close to "White Walkers". It could be cue, or it could be a red herring.

Not a chance it contains Others. Children of the Forest is a strong possibility however.

I don't think it contains Others now, but it could be the farthest south the Others reached during the Long Night. The sea could have frozen, and the sea level itself have receded, and the White Walkers reached Ibben and the northen coast of Essos.

I suppose you refer to the Lands of Ice and Fire and not to the World of Ice and Fire.

However, Lands has been released in the meantime and the Kingdom of the Ifeqevron is located north of the Dothraki Sea and south of Ib. Indeed its territory seems to cover dark woods.

Considering how she is already heading north by the end of aDwD, I have a feeling Dany will travel to the Kingdoms of the Ifeqevron in TWoW. It's really the only yet to be explored geographical location in Western Essos whose name seems to have some significant meaning tied to the overall storyline. People suspect Dany will travel to Asshai (fulfilling the 'pass under the shadow' prophecy) but I believe GRRM stated that Asshai wouldn't be a locale visited by any of the characters, although there may further references to it. I'd say Qarth is the farthest East the story will go.

Actually now that I've thought about it, I think the most likely translation would be the following:

"Kindoms of the forest walkers", possibly referring to the children of the forest.

Meaning that there might once have been children living there (*possibly* some are still alive).

As far as the Other go, I suppose there's a possibility there might be some of them living in amongst the highest peaks of that big mountain range (Bone Mountains), isn't there something called the "Realm of Jhoqwin" up there?

Could it be the Kingdom of a Valyrian family who used to be dragonlords and now "have to walk" since they lost their dragons but still have blood of the dragon? It could be an interesting and surprising twist for the plot to introduce a Valyrian family who would rivalize the Targaryens. Remember the Targaryens were one of the lowest among the 40 dragonlord families in Valyria, the top nobility, what if those Ifeqevron, those walkers, were among the most powerful, or even the most powerful, the top of the top, and had the magical ability to steal Daenerys' dragons?

Could it be the Kingdom of a Valyrian family who used to be dragonlords and now "have to walk" since they lost their dragons but still have blood of the dragon? It could be an interesting and surprising twist for the plot to introduce a Valyrian family who would rivalize the Targaryens. Remember the Targaryens were one of the lowest among the 40 dragonlord families in Valyria, the top nobility, what if those Ifeqevron, those walkers, were among the most powerful, or even the most powerful, the top of the top, and had the magical ability to steal Daenerys' dragons?

I like where you're going with this. The idea that only one of 40 dragonlord families (the Targs) foresaw and escaped the Doom seems unlikely. Surely there are other Valyrian nobles who fled and set up strongholds elsewhere in Essos, albeit without dragons.

I like where you're going with this. The idea that only one of 40 dragonlord families (the Targs) foresaw and escaped the Doom seems unlikely. Surely there are other Valyrian nobles who fled and set up strongholds elsewhere in Essos, albeit without dragons.

More likely in Volantis, behind the Black Wall. But in the northernmost part of Essos, covered with forests ?

Archived