How Stannis will win the Iron Throne

I don't think Stannis will sit the IT anytime soon (or at all). To much distance and to many foe's in the way to march there. Sailing could be the way to go but don't think he has sufficient strength to take it if he made it through storms and all. Besides he seems committed to defending the north from the others before he try's to take the IT. I think he will destroy the Bolton's and co with the aid of Manderly. Davos will show up with Rickon and Stannis will marry him to Shireen to strengthen his northern alliance. Patch face will nut out and kill/ wound Stannis in a jealous rage. Mel having already revived Jon wont be able to save him. Might use his blood to wake the stone dragon at Winterfell?? In his dying breath he will bid all to support Rickon/ Shireen and Jon who will lead the army (until Rickon comes of age) freed from his NW vows by death. Just another angle.

Well look at it this way yes he does lack military strength but it could change with the battle very quickly. While I agree the faith would be against him I'd also have to point out his opponents. Currently Aegon is in the best position to take the throne and has growing support from other lords but currently has the second smallest army. Dany is half a world away. And Cersei has completely undermined the Tyrel-Lannister alliance. If that crumbles they will probably go to Aegon making him even stronger.

But with the one or both of the fleets discussed and Northern support he could sail for Kings Landing while the Tyrels are wrapped up dealing with Ironborn at their doorstep and Aegon in the Stormlands (assuming they haven't joined him).

I don't think anyone really thinks he could hold the Iron Throne but he can take it for a short time even without the help of Sellswords. But this theory has been one of the first viable ways I've heard of Stannis taking the throne no matter how temporary.

And Also remember Waters could just be playing the field in this case and turn on him the moment things go badly for Stannis.... again.

Well look at it this way yes he does lack military strength but it could change with the battle very quickly. While I agree the faith would be against him I'd also have to point out his opponents. Currently Aegon is in the best position to take the throne and has growing support from other lords but currently has the second smallest army. Dany is half a world away. And Cersei has completely undermined the Tyrel-Lannister alliance. If that crumbles they will probably go to Aegon making him even stronger.

But with the one or both of the fleets discussed and Northern support he could sail for Kings Landing while the Tyrels are wrapped up dealing with Ironborn at their doorstep and Aegon in the Stormlands (assuming they haven't joined him).

I don't think anyone really thinks he could hold the Iron Throne but he can take it for a short time even without the help of Sellswords. But this theory has been one of the first viable ways I've heard of Stannis taking the throne no matter how temporary.

And Also remember Waters could just be playing the field in this case and turn on him the moment things go badly for Stannis.... again.

You have to take into account timing. Stannis is focused on the throne but knows the real battle is with the Others. Once the Boltons are defeated he will concentrate what strength he has fighting the real enemy. Dany and Aegon will concentrate on the South before they head North. The issue of the throne could already be settled.

You also have to look at it in his mind the best way to fight the others is a united front. So in his mind likely taking the throne means a better chance at fighting the others. If anything he is unbending in his beliefs. The throne is his by right in his eyes and he will win it and defeat the others.

I'm not sure how he'll win the throne, not even if he'll win.

But no story-line of a man with one child can have an ending without the child taking a primary roll! Maybe Stan will die to save Shireen, after which Davos and Massey seat her on the IT.

I'm not sure how he'll win the throne, not even if he'll win.

But no story-line of a man with one child can have an ending without the child taking a primary roll! Maybe Stan will die to save Shireen, after which Davos and Massey seat her on the IT.

I just don't see it happening for Stannis or Shireen. Its likely that Stannis will surrender in exchange for a marriage for Shireen.

Shireen is dragon's food. Her recurring nightmares about a dragon eating her symbolize this. Also, that Greyscale isn't looking very healthy. She is up north with winter coming up with a fanatical priest who very likely would easily use her kings blood for something. Not going anywhere near the Iron Throne. Stannis becoming the new Night's King also wouldn't help.

Shireen is dragon's food. Her recurring nightmares about a dragon eating her symbolize this. Also, that Greyscale isn't looking very healthy. She is up north with winter coming up with a fanatical priest who very likely would easily use her kings blood for something. Not going anywhere near the Iron Throne. Stannis becoming the new Night's King also wouldn't help.

She has her father!

A bit off topic, but Dany eventually will work her way into Westeros. Where will she land first? Will she head up towards the wall, assuming Dorne sides with Aegon? Dany has no knowledge of Others, so I'm curious as to wear she launches her first attack on Westeros. I'm also curious as to what Stannis will do if/when he meets Dany.

A bit off topic, but Dany eventually will work her way into Westeros. Where will she land first? Will she head up towards the wall, assuming Dorne sides with Aegon? Dany has no knowledge of Others, so I'm curious as to wear she launches her first attack on Westeros. I'm also curious as to what Stannis will do if/when he meets Dany.

Dany will land in the Vale and gain the support of Sansa and Sweetrobin. The Vale would provide food for her troops, a stable base to attack from, and an area already deemed pacified by Aegon and the Lannisters. Stannis is going to be the new Night's King, so he's toast as soon as he meets Dany.

The whole Night's King theory is great. Stannis has blue eyes and so did the night's King, therefore they are on in the same.

Talk about a reach.

There are many parallels between the Night's King and Stannis besides just the eyes. They both made their base in the Nightfort, have extreme religious fervor, sacrifice people, have similar consorts, and as the books move on, Stannis is descibed as more like a skeleton and not Azor Ahai.

There are many parallels between the Night's King and Stannis besides just the eyes. They both made their base in the Nightfort, have extreme religious fervor, sacrifice people, have similar consorts, and as the books move on, Stannis is descibed as more like a skeleton and not Azor Ahai.

Yes. And the Night's King mated with the ice while Stannis did with fire!

Yes. And the Night's King mated with the ice while Stannis did with fire!

As Stannis goes on, he constantly is going away from fire. Keeping Melisandre at the Wall, gathering Northmen who worship the Old Gods. He is beheading or at least trying to go through with beheading Theon before a heart tree and not burning him.

Not sure if this has been stated yet:

I think this theory is interesting, but entirely off base. My take on the Stannis story arch is that his motivation is no longer to achieve the Iron throne - instead, he is fighting the battle between ice and fire. The ageless battle between dark (ice) and light (fire) is slowly emerging as the central driver of the series, and Stannis has completely cast aside his power motivations to take the side of fire and focus on that fight - hence why he traveled to the wall in the first place.

Mark my words: when it's all said and done the fight for the Irone throne will mean nothing in comparison to the fight between ice and fire. The wall is the most important piece of that puzzle, as it's the only thing still separating the two forces, and Jon is the most important player, as he's the one who controls it. This is supportive of the R+L=J theory, as it implies that Jon has command over fire as a Targaryan, and it's also supportive of the title "a song of ICE AND FIRE".

Archived