How would you rate episode 304?  

867 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

9/10

It was brilliant - particularly the Dany scene. But the fact she didn't whip Kraznys in the face with his own whip was a little bit disappointing. I've imagined that scene so many times that my expectations were way too high to be matched, so I didn't detract a mark for this. It would have been nice to see the other two dragons in Astapor too.

The King's Landing scenes were mostly great this episode (apart from what I've outlined below). Tyrion/Varys, the scene in the Sept of Baelor, Tywin/Cersei, Varys/Olenna, and Sansa/Margaery were all fantastic. Joffrey talking about the history of the Targaryens in the Sept was a great and believable way to convey some of the history.

My main problems with the episode were: the sorceror in the box, a few bits of dialogue that felt off (particularly the "You sound like a bloody woman" line from Brienne to Jaime), Catelyn being blamed for holding Bran back (is she blamed for EVERYTHING in this show?), and the Pod/whores joke.

9/10

It was brilliant - particularly the Dany scene. But the fact she didn't whip Kraznys in the face with his own whip was a little bit disappointing. I've imagined that scene so many times that my expectations were way too high to be matched, so I didn't detract a mark for this. It would have been nice to see the other two dragons in Astapor too.

The King's Landing scenes were mostly great this episode (apart from what I've outlined below). Tyrion/Varys, the scene in the Sept of Baelor, Tywin/Cersei, Varys/Olenna, and Sansa/Margaery were all fantastic. Joffrey talking about the history of the Targaryens in the Sept was a great and believable way to convey some of the history.

My main problems with the episode were: the sorceror in the box, a few bits of dialogue that felt off (particularly the "You sound like a bloody woman" line from Brienne to Jaime), Catelyn being blamed for holding Bran back (is she blamed for EVERYTHING in this show?), and the Pod/whores joke.

Well Cat did make Bran promise that he wont climb again.I think Bran was just remembering that.

It was a 8 or 9 even before the end, the Daenerys scene that we all knew was coming kicked it over the 10 mark :P It was probably one of the few times that a anticipated scene from a book lived up to it in every way and actually surpasses it because of amazing visuals and music during it. The sheer look on her face as she is commanding the Unsullied and then turning and finally uttering "dracarys!" is something I can watch over and over even years from now. All around it was a great ep its just those final minutes were about as memorable as you can get as far scenes go.

Utter perfection. 10/10. Everything in this show wraps up perfectly, and the internal referencies are driving me insane. Tywin saying "you are not as smart as you think you are", in line with Cersei's "you are not half as clever as you think you are" to Tyrion; Locke's "fancy word for a fancy man" last week, perfectly matching with the "fancy word for a sellsword/been spending time with fancy folks" exchange between Tyrion and Bronn back in season two. And there are hundreds of other examples. Perfection,

9/10

Mate, the Pod joke took something like fifteen seconds. FIFTEEN. I mean, come on.

Well Cat did make Bran promise that he wont climb again.I think Bran was just remembering that.

It still makes me uncomfortable when we consider that Catelyn was right. And yet in the show she's blamed for everything that happened to her family.

Mate, the Pod joke took something like fifteen seconds. FIFTEEN. I mean, come on.

So? It was 15 seconds of stupidity that pulled me straight out of the episode and reminded me who D&D's target audience are: dudebros.

Prostitutes do not turn down money. They don't have sex for enjoyment. Therefore the joke was stupid.

It still makes me uncomfortable when we consider that Catelyn was right. And yet in the show she's blamed for everything that happened to her family.

So? It was 15 seconds of stupidity that pulled me straight out of the episode and reminded me who D&D's target audience are: dudebros.

Prostitutes do not turn down money. They don't have sex for enjoyment. Therefore the joke was stupid.

I sadly know (not by personal experience, of course) of prostitutes having "favourite" and "recurring" clients, to whom they sometimes give "free services". The very same thing happened in ancient Rome. So, prostitutes used to and still do that.

8/10. Far and away best part was Dany's Astapor scene - every part of it just amazing from beginning to end (and I'm not even a Dany fan).

Would have given it more but didn't like the Varys/Ros scene and am over the whole Podrick thing. Also didn't see the fit of Bran's scene in this episode. Overall a great episode.

a ten..... when dany spoke valyrian i was shaking from how powerful that scene was. she reminded me of aegon the conqueror

Hehe really gotta wonder if ruling, conquering etc is just truly in the Targaryen bloodline that if they dont go bat crazy they are simply born to rule. Every Targaryen down the line that was feared/respected had that aura, they didnt climb mountains...mountains got out of their way. Daenerys has shown evidence of that (talking tv series since we know the books) and finally cemented it with this episode. I mean I think from tv format pov that it was such a strong scene that the (no spoiler) other thing down the line might just overly complicate it in this medium. You dont have Alexander the Great and then pop in a young upstart Julius Caesar going hey lets conquer the world together! With novels you can do it since you can go on forever in details and explaining it...bit tougher for tv.

After 320 votes, this episode is rating a 9.21 of 10. Quite impressive.

The Mondrian,

I sadly know (not by personal experience, of course) of prostitutes having "favourite" and "recurring" clients, to whom they sometimes give "free services". The very same thing happened in ancient Rome. So, prostitutes used to and still do that.

Indeed. But as you note, that's for recurring clients, where the free services are part of what is, essentially, a business strategy to retain their custom.

I'm fairly certain that never in the history of the world have three prostitutes given away their services to a virgin because he was so amazing in bed.

I guess I'm a little less enthusiastic as a majority of people this time...

- Dany final scene was indeed truly brilliant, perfectly staged, fantastic acting by Clarke, Djavadi score is beyond expectations, camera, CGI - everything is the best motion picture quality. Never seen anything like that on television.

- Tywin/Cersei scene is moving and tells a lot about both characters.

- Jaime and Brienne reflections on what has happened in the previous episiode touched me

- Mormont's failed attempt to spit on Rast almost put tears on my face, and Rast himself so easily hateable, great job.

- Theon's monologue was one of the best moments for the character and the actor since season 2

Hehe yeah you actually feel SORRY for Theon for a moment til a second later when you are laughing at him the moment that torch lights up the room and he realizes. I wonder if Martin was tormented or bullied by someone named Theon as a child :P

The Mondrian,

Indeed. But as you note, that's for recurring clients, where the free services are part of what is, essentially, a business strategy to retain their custom.

I'm fairly certain that never in the history of the world have three prostitutes given away their services to a virgin because he was so amazing in bed.

Yes, you are right. It surely is hard to believe, if one thinks about it carefully. But I think this whole "Podrick the sex beast" thing is aimed at cementing Pod into the memory of the audience, as his role will become more important (even though not THAT important, for what we readers know) in the future. I mean, hadn't that scene happened, people might have needed to be reminded who Pod actually is; the answer would of course have been "the lad who saved Tyrion in Blackwater". But now people, when hearing Pod's name, will immediatly know who he is. The trick used wan nontheless cheap at the very least, I totally agree.

After 320 votes, this episode is rating a 9.21 of 10. Quite impressive.

The Mondrian,

Well like Varys said prodigies show up in the strangest places :P

Easily the best episode since s01e09. Blackwater was awesome, but it was mostly just flash and bang. This was a well-rounded episode that began where it should and ended as it should. Dany was freaking amazing at the end.

I only wish we'd gotten to see more of the sack of Astapor :P

I didn't pick up on this when I watched the episode, but Theon saying his "real father lost his head in King's Landing" is out of character and a bit cringeworthy in all honesty. Theon saw Robb as a brother, but Ned was NEVER a father figure towards him. He couldn't be; he knew one day he may have had to execute him.