How would you rate episode 304?  

867 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I didn't pick up on this when I watched the episode, but Theon saying his "real father lost his head in King's Landing" is out of character and a bit cringeworthy in all honesty. Theon saw Robb as a brother, but Ned was NEVER a father figure towards him. He couldn't be; he knew one day he may have had to execute him.

Yeah, didn't really get that either. It was a bit like Cat and Jon all over again, although the rest of the monologue was good.

Nobody else seems to have mentioned it here, but props to the actor playing Craster. He really did make the character very easy to hate.

I had to give it a 10, there's nothing really substantial for me to complain about. It's the best episode we've had in a while, perhaps the best episode so far? Together with the launch of Season 2 of Continuum, this makes me a happy man (I know this makes me sound like a TV junkie, these are the only shows I watch though :P).

No pointless brothel scenes, no "here's Tyrion and Bronnmance just because we want to show him", no moping Jon Snow, great action, drama, and I still got a fair share of laughs. This episode delivered the kind of dark and sarcastic humour (Eddisson Tollet!) you expect from the show rather than the forced teenage boy humour from last episode.

The scheming was there, and I think it was done in a way people could figure out what's going on. It really helps the episode to allow their best actors to shine. Charles Dance was amazing ("You're not as smart as you think you are!"), Jack Gleeson is just hilariously good at depicting Joffrey as the little shit he is ("here's some tales about death and destruction, love me! Let's be a beautiful sociopathic couple!" and of course his waving like a douche), Dianna Rigg had some great lines about how ridiculous the Tyrell sigil and words is, something I've been saying for years!, Rory McCann as the flawless Hound who is still able to intimidate everyone even when he's in ropes, and Conlyth deserves awards, too...

Whoever played the guy who killed Craster did a great job, as well as Rast. These are small roles, but oh so important, and for young actors they did really well holding their own among legends like James Cosmo and Robert Pugh.

Sansa had a very nice scene. Sophie Turner really captured the mixture of happiness and despair Sansa also felt in the books when the offer was made to go to Highgarden and Nathalie Dormer stills plays Margaery as just fake and clever enough for me to still see through her as I did in the books.

A hint that Varys can actually be a cruel man too is a nice touch. And it makes sense he'd get his revenge given the power he has.

A lot of the details were also right. The second of bromance between Ser Jorah and Ser Barristan, while perhaps out of place, was a nice touch which in one shot reminds us of their earlier discussions and how Daenerys has found a solution for both.

The Unsullied are awesome. The beating of the spears seemed like a nod towards the Uruk Hai in the Two Towers, I'm probably not the only one who was reminded of that.

Here's to hoping every episode from now on can hold up this standard.

Finally, I don't get how people can still be criticizing Emilia Clarke. That girl is badass, her acting during that ending scene gave me goosebumps.

PS RIP Jeor Mormont, James Cosmo, it was good to have you on the show, you will be missed :( I would've preferred him to snap Rast's neck and go out like a badass, alas, it was not to be.

Edited by StannisandDaeny

I sadly know (not by personal experience, of course) of prostitutes having "favourite" and "recurring" clients, to whom they sometimes give "free services". The very same thing happened in ancient Rome. So, prostitutes used to and still do that.

Not when they have a boss like Littlefinger, who will give them to crazy men who want to mutilate them if they "don't make him money." Plus, he was a virgin for christ's sake... It was stupid. But it wasn't enough to take anything away from this episode because here it did give a lead-in towards Varys remarking Ros' talents as a spy (the repeat of his 'prodigies' quote).

Not when they have a boss like Littlefinger, who will give them to crazy men who want to mutilate them if they "don't make him money." Plus, he was a virgin for christ's sake... It was stupid. But it wasn't enough to take anything away from this episode because here it did give a lead-in towards Varys remarking Ros' talents as a spy (the repeat of his 'prodigies' quote).

Well, I quite liked how they said that Littlefinger is too busy to pay attention to his usual business, thus enabling his girls to be "freer". But again, yes, the whole thing was a cheap trick.

I figure that's gonna happen when all the wights attack him and gilly, maybe in the show they will have them be joined by a other or 2.

I'm strangely enticed by the idea of watching Sam slash through a horde of them with nothing but a small dragonglass knife, screaming like a madman and covered in blood, rather than just killing one...

How they will do it, well my guess would be that he kills the Other and then finds himself surrounded by wights just after he killed it to ruin the moment, and then Coldhands shows up and still manages to save the day. Eh, he might get some help from Ed and Grenn too because they have to live but I didn't see them coming with him just yet.

I figure that's gonna happen when all the wights attack him and gilly, maybe in the show they will have them be joined by a other or 2.

I hope so, after all it's an important scene (dragon glass)...or maybe they'll skip it, budget-wise, as, from what I've understood, the White Walkers are almost entirely CGI

Edited by Turin Turambar

I hope so, after all it's an important scene (dragon glass)...or maybe the'll skip it, budget-wise, as, from what I've understood, the White Walkers are almost entirely CGI

Maybe some of them are, but the guy we saw up close was a guy in a suit with some CGI added to make him look more real. Either way, they're probably not cheap.

One more thing I wanted to say was that I like how the episode's title was made in honour of Jeor Mormont while it could've been called 'Dracarys' or so many other things. He was one of my favourite characters on book as well as show.

I also forgot to mention Iwan Rheon is great as Ramsay - the madness in his face when he reveals he's betrayed Theon was spot on. I don't entirely get how Theon didn't see they were travelling in the wrong direction, but oh well. But please, no more torture scenes! Oh well, who am I talking to, Theon still has to get castrated... oh boy :/

The only nitpick I have is Brienne's 'You sound like a bloody woman!' It would be okay for anyone but her to say this, she, who respected Catelyn's strength and is possibly the walking embodiment of feminism on the show... at least, she should be.

I didn't pick up on this when I watched the episode, but Theon saying his "real father lost his head in King's Landing" is out of character and a bit cringeworthy in all honesty. Theon saw Robb as a brother, but Ned was NEVER a father figure towards him. He couldn't be; he knew one day he may have had to execute him.

Well i thought that was keeping in line with the books.But this realisation does not come so early in the books.He says to Lady Dustin he was like one of the Stark kids and i think thats what D&D have implied on when writing that scene.

I really liked the episode but I thought Mormont's death scene (complaint of mine overall with the show) lacked size and scope. I felt it should have been bigger. This was the end of the Nights Watch north of the wall and it came across as awkward.

The Dany scenes had appropriate feeling but seeing the Old Bear die lacked a bit of urgency.

Well i thought that was keeping in line with the books.But this realisation does not come so early in the books.He says to Lady Dustin he was like one of the Stark kids and i think thats what D&D have implied on when writing that scene.

He would never view Ned as his father though, because Ned did not treat him like a son.

^It's not outside of the realm of possibilities. Abused children (which Theon sort of was) often love their parents much more than they love them. It's entirely possible that Ned tried his hardest to never be a true father to Theon but Theon still yearned for his approval and loved him like a real father. It totally makes sense to me.

10 all around: Best episode of the season for me. All the storylines clicked. This season is so much better than S2 so far.

Edited by The Lost Direwolf

I think D&D have implied that if he wants to be one of the stark kids then automatically he wants to be Ned's son.

That's how I took it as well and really, I don't have an issue with it. It makes Theon's fall heartbreaking, him knowing he made the wrong decision, especially as he's spilling his feelings right before being betrayed. We never see this in the books but I think it fits perfectly with the Theon we have seen on screen.