How would you rate episode 304?  

867 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Just finished my third viewing. I wonder if fans of this show get too blinded by their enthusiasm to effectively rate each episode. Episode 3.3 was very mediocre IMO, which is contrary to the majority of reviewers. I gave last week's episode a 5, and stand by it. But this episode was absolutely incredible! Action packed, well written, well acted - it had it all. And unlike the prior 3 episodes from this season, the pacing was very good. We saw virtually every character in this episode (sans Jon Snow), and despite all the content, nothing felt rushed. Finally!

High points were everywhere. Jaime's opening scene succeeded in getting the character some much needed sympathy. The directors did a great job conveying the hopelessness of a man, always used to getting his way, completely powerless. I wondered if the show runners were going to take a heavy handed approach to redefining Jaime as a hero. Instead it seems to be thoughtfully portrayed.

And Dany....wow! I wouldn't call myself a Dany hater, but I certainly am not a fan. But this episode really showed power in the character. This is the first time since season 1 where Dany was actually likable. Never would have thought I'd see an episode where a Dany scene was the best part.

Not perfect though. Disliked the way they handled Mormont's death. The books gave a greater sense of loss as Mormont died on Sam's lap. That scene was so theatrical in the book, I'm surprised they left it out -it was made for TV.

Gave it an 8, primarily because of my disappointment over the craster scene. But if they did that scene better, then this would have gotten the highest score I allow myself to give out - a 9. (fans on this site are too lenient giving out 10s. 10s should be reserved for truly special episodes).

Edited to clarify I gave last weeks episode a 5. This one an eight.

Edited by Ronrusso75

Apparently I am in the minority here. I thought it was a very average episode except for the ending. I gave it a 7.

I liked the scenes with Jaime and Brienne. I think NCW did an excellent job portraying Jaime's utter physical and emotional defeat. Really felt the beginning of the episode. Likewise, the ending was incredible. I don't think they could have nailed that scene any better. Dany's ruthlessness is finally starting to come out for the non-book reader crowd.

The overthrow of Mormont at Craster's home was not good. At all. I didn't really even feel any emotion from it. That scene should have (could have) been an episode closer. It was that dramatic in the books.

Also did not like the Sansa/Marg scene. Felt very forced.

BWB scene was all right. Did not picture Beric like he is in the show.

Marg/Joff scene was pretty good -- basically just continuing to show her manipulation and mischeviousness. I love how Cersei is getting usurped. Lena makes some great faces.

QoT/Varys was solid. On the other hand, Varys shipping this sorcerer in from the East was bogus. That sorcerer represents something very personal that happened to him. One of the few chinks in his armor, so to speak. He is a very private person in regards to himself (not the Varys/Spider character). I don't think he really would have risked having this dude shipped into the Red Keep. Weird.

Theon -- meh. Waiting for Ramsay to get freaky.

The whole Pod/Littlefinger/whores/Varys/Ros circle jerk thing is understandably getting to a point. It is just taking its sweet fucking time getting there at the sacrifice of other important things. Yes Littlefinger is up to shit. We know this. I personally loved Varys's comment about how Littlefinger may be the most dangerous man in Westeros though.

I also agree that most are way too lenient on their ratings. A "10" is a perfect episode. Absolutely perfect. Nothing can be critiqued. A "5" is not a bad rating. That is average. As the season progresses the viewers get blinded by their lust for more and give out ridiculous ratings.

I gave it an 8 and think that was pretty fair. Really enjoyed most scenes, Brans was a little slow, getting tired of the dreams with the three eyed crow. Think Jaime should not have eaten right then, maybe another scene of her goading him, seemed fake with him giving in so fast.

I really didn't think the NW scene was bad. I loved the, "but you are a bastard" line. Yeah, maybe the LC deserved a better death scene, but all in all it was well done.

Theon, great again. Great to see the side of him that realizes that he made a huge mistake, and have him reveal that Bran and Rickon are still alive. 2nd best line of the show, "My real father died at Kings Landing"

Dany. This was the scene that stole the show. The only way it could have been better was if the other dragons had swooped in and joined the charbroiling fun!

Definately my favorite show of the season.

I too, like everyone else, enjoyed Daenerys' scene at the very end. Queen of Thorns dialogue with Varys was also very nice. My only issue was the Sansa/Marg conversation and Sansa's supposed happiness at being passed over as queen.

I gave it a 5, and stand by it. But this episode was absolutely incredible!

On a 10 point scale there is no possible way you can grade something you consider to be absolutely incredible a 5. Unless by absolutely incredible you mean perfectly mediocre.

I gave it a 9. One of the best episodes, nothing glaringly dislikable, but some very powerful moments ("You sound like a woman," Valyrian speech, Sansa looking happy for the first time since Joffrey).

I too, like everyone else, enjoyed Daenerys' scene at the very end. Queen of Thorns dialogue with Varys was also very nice. My only issue was the Sansa/Marg conversation and Sansa's supposed happiness at being passed over as queen.

Sansa has no motivation to be queen anymore. She just wants to be happy.

Edited by DarkAndFullOfTurnips

9/10

One of the five best episodes so far in the series.

Dracarys was awesome.

The mutiny at Craster's was everything that it was in the book.

I love that the Tyrells are clearly Lannister's with roses. The QoT continues to be awesome and Margaery's manipulation of both Joffrey and Sansa is great to watch.

Theon's story and the bastard's "reveal" has renewed my belief in that storyline.

And no complaints for Arya. Plenty to show that the Red God isn't just the "evil" of Mellisandre and there is more to that religion.

I also agree that most are way too lenient on their ratings. A "10" is a perfect episode. Absolutely perfect. Nothing can be critiqued. A "5" is not a bad rating. That is average. As the season progresses the viewers get blinded by their lust for more and give out ridiculous ratings.

According to which scale? Yours, or mine?

Gave it a 10, think it's one of the best episodes ever in the series, along with "Baelor" and "Blackwater" to name a few, and to think it's only the 4th episode this season and it's only going to get better. Liked the KL scenes with Joffrey telling Margaery some of the history of the Targaryen's, whom they seem to be mentioning more this season, Varys and the QoT discussing Sansa, and Tywin telling Cersei that she is not as smart as she thinks she is. Actually have come to sympathize with 2 of the characters I hated in the past, Theon and Jaime for their acts against the Starks, I mean regarding Jaime, kick a man when he's already down is just cruel. While the mutiny at Craster's keep was well done, the death of Commander Mormont just didn't have the same effect on me that Ned Stark's beheading did, which was total shock and sadness. Finally, the Sack of Astapor to say the least was simply stunning. For me there is no show on TV like GoT, and if doesn't win the Emmy for best drama this year it will be because of prejudices since it's fantasy. But then again. they said the same thing about LotR, and that won the Oscar.

On a 10 point scale there is no possible way you can grade something you consider to be absolutely incredible a 5. Unless by absolutely incredible you mean perfectly mediocre.

I gave it a 9. One of the best episodes, nothing glaringly dislikable, but some very powerful moments ("You sound like a woman," Valyrian speech, Sansa looking happy for the first time since Joffrey).

Sansa has no motivation to be queen anymore. She just wants to be happy.

I gave LAST WEEK'S episode a 5. I gave this "incredible" episode an 8.