How would you rate episode 304?  

867 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Agreed. Every non-book reader I know (and they are not dummies either) is totally confused about everything but Dany's story since she is off on her own and her story is more easy to follow. But they have no clue what is going on with Jon Snow. No clue who Arya is with. No clue what Bran is up to. No idea what anyone in King's Landing is talking about. No clue who Jaime Lannister is with. No idea who Theon is with or why he is even there.

If there really was such a widespread confusing about virtually every aspect of the show, I doubt it would get new viewership records almost every week.

I would've like to have seen a little more destruction and carnage...more of the Unsullied running through the streets just killing people in tokars and breaking chains and a lot more of the city burning. Thats just me though. The point was already well made.

Also there are several divergences from the book. Margarey's continued mentoring and manipulating of Joffrey. Loved it. I love where they're going with it.

We are introduced to Varys' sorcerer....not sure how its gonna go...could be interesting but it could go either way.

The whole Pod as a Lady's man so incredible the whores are giving it away. It seems like they copied a Dos Equis commercial; "So suave, prostitues pay him." I know its only been one episode but it doesen't seem like it has the legs. I like my Pod's bumbling if not well-intentioned and honorable with a knack for coming through in the clutch.

Geat episode, too many question marks plus I don't know that we have a true feeling for just how good the Unsullied are. Can't give it a "10". Final grade, "8".

I agree with you. It was a great episode but giving 10s this early hm ... I gave it an 8. If episode 04 is like this imagine what is coming, and than the 10s are not the same.

Fantastic episode. Loved that we started right back up where we left off, with Jaime. I've got to say, as much as I fucking despised him after he pushed Bran out of the battlements, I'm feeling sorry for the guy. The one thing he was known for was his skills in battle, and you can tell he's a broken man without his hand. Brienne gave him a stern talking too though. He needs to toughen up and soldier on.

Speaking of feeling sorry for characters, motherfucking Theon, man. He's going through some rough shit. Escapes, only to be led right back to the torture chamber. "My real father lost his head at King's Landing." Great stuff, great stuff. Varys and his adventures were great to see as well, and I'm very interested in where the hell this whole sorcerer thing is headed. Tyrion only had one scene this episode, but it gave us some great Varys stuff, so it's okay. Margaery continues to dig her claws into Joffrey, and it's pissing Cersei off. Loved Tywin telling her off.

Damn it though, I was sad to see Jeor Mormont get cut down like that. Glad Craster got his comeuppance though. I don't where the hell that storyline is going as of now. And Sam ran off with Gilly and the baby, with Rast swearing to kill him. Everything's gone to hell North of the Wall. Really excited to see where the whole Arya and the Brotherhood things heads as well. Beric Dondarrion said he was gonna fight the Hound, and the look in the Hound's eyes seemed to tell us that Beric was not to be trifled with.

AND MOTHERFUCKING DRACARYS. Daenerys mowed down them motherfuckers. Really glad to see her gain some real power in this episode. That whole scene was badass. Closed off an already fantastic episode. This is definitely a solid 9 from me. It's not a 10, but it's damn close.

I agree with you. It was a great episode but giving 10s this early hm ... I gave it an 8. If episode 04 is like this imagine what is coming, and than the 10s are not the same.

I believe we won't have such an important episode, in terms of good events, until the RW. That does not mean other episodes can't be really good. I actually enjoyed episode 3 more than this one, because I thought it had a lot of depth in it, with great acting. But, certainly, if they keep with this level, then the show will do justice to ASoS, in my opinion.

10/10 from me as well. I have been on a business trip all week and watched it in my hotel every night it was on. I LOVE the ending, and particularly tuned in the last 15 minutes or so. Dany came into her own in this episode. I have always loved her and not understood the criticism of her on these boards....and was thrilled to see her finally become be the Queen Conquerer she is. I thought the final shots with her leading the Unsullied out of Astapor were just amazing - epic.

Love it! Can't wait for Sunday!

Ugh, botched BwB scenes, terribly botched Brienne/Jaime scenes (Brienne is a sexist since when??), Theon was a big ??, Varys spilling the beans to the QoT is incomprehensible and makes her seem daft, the Pod thing is a waste of time, Varys, Tyrion and the "sorcerer" in the box was added why? Sansa is now marrying Loras?

It's like someone read the novels and thought they were kinda crap and needed some fanfic editing. :stillsick:

The only saving grace was Dany in Astapor and Mormont, the rest was really a mish mash of botched stuff and irrelevant additions.

Edited by Lyanna Stark

Ugh, botched BwB scenes, terribly botched Brienne/Jaime scenes (Brienne is a sexist since when??), Theon was a big??, Varys spilling the beans to the QoT is incomprehensible, the Pod thing is a waste of time.

The only saving grace was Dany in Astapor, the rest was really a mish mash of botched stuff and irrelevant additions.

Agree on the last two and about Dracarys being awesome, but disagree about most everything else. I have my worries about Theon's story and how confusing they are, but thought the material here was good overall. Thought the BWB scenes were excellent and seeing as (aside from tweaked dialogue) it was almost exactly the same as the books I fail to see how it was botched.

I assume you're referring to the "you sound like a bloody woman" line, in calling Brienne a sexist. I really disagree here, I thought it was quite clear that if Brienne meant anything by her comment it was mocking sexism and Westerosi attitudes towards women.

Ugh, botched BwB scenes, terribly botched Brienne/Jaime scenes (Brienne is a sexist since when??), Theon was a big ??, Varys spilling the beans to the QoT is incomprehensible and makes her seem daft, the Pod thing is a waste of time, Varys, Tyrion and the "sorcerer" in the box was added why? Sansa is now marrying Loras?

It's like someone read the novels and thought they were kinda crap and needed some fanfic editing. :stillsick:

The only saving grace was Dany in Astapor and Mormont, the rest was really a mish mash of botched stuff and irrelevant additions.

I have a feeling that this will be a waste of time, but here I go.

1. The pod mention was 30 seconds long.

2. What is wrong with Sansa marrying Loras?

3. Why was the BwB botched?

4. Excluding that single comment by Brienne, why were the Jaime/Brienne scenes botched? Also, not sure the bloody woman comment was a sign of her sexism, more a way of motivating Jaime.

5. What is incomprehensible about the Varys/QoT scene?

6. They cant just have Theon disappear for two seasons, and they need to introduce Ramsay's cruelty and cunning.

Edited by Joyful Union

So Jaime and Brienne was terribly botched because you interpreted her line to mean that she dislikes women? Everything else about it was terrible too right? Rory as Sandor was brilliant in that BwB scene, and so was Anguy - transforming from witty little outlaw to soldier concerned with the fate of the smallfolk.

Why are people so ridiculously dramatic.

Edited by DarkAndFullOfTurnips

I really enjoyed it. I thought Jaime was wonderful in his scene. Also really liked the Joff/Marg date through the castle. She has him completely wrapped around her little finger. LOL. Sansa's excited about the Knight of Flowers as well she should be. I also really liked the view of Varys and Tyrion looking down into the crate. Great expressions by Dinklage throughout that scene! And of course, Dracarys was spectacular. I loved the music used and the rhythm of Valerian when spoken by Dany. Also, I always enjoy the QoT but I really hate how they have her scarf wrapped around her head. It makes her look awful.

Finally, the BwB. I was never a fan of the group in the books but I like how they are being visualized on screen. Truly a feeling of Robin Hood and his merry men. Sandor was great in this scene and I look forward to the fight between him and Beric.

9/10

I assume you're referring to the "you sound like a bloody woman" line, in calling Brienne a sexist. I really disagree here, I thought it was quite clear that if Brienne meant anything by her comment it was mocking sexism and Westerosi attitudes towards women.

How is "You sound like a bloody woman" mocking sexism? Explain it to me like I was very, very slow, since it really needs careful explaining to make sense, at all. Unless we're in backwards land, perhaps.

I have a feeling that this will be a waste of time, but here I go.

1. The pod mention was 30 seconds long.

The Pod mention is pointless, has nothing to do with Pod's character and nothing with actual plot. Shitloads of actual plot has been cut, and this has been inserted for what reason? It's not funny, it's not entertaining and it doesn't make any point.

2. What is wrong with Sansa marrying Loras?

Book!Sansa is offered Willas, a much older cripple who she has not met. She is not offered to marry some handsome dude she fancies. Book!Sansa struggles with Willas as a choice and her disappointment at it not being Loras, but judges that it's still a better offer than being a Lannister pawn and that she will do her utmost to make Willas love her. It's a big step forward in Sansa's character development and denotes her increasing realism. Loras adds nothing of this, it's pointless as far as character development goes.

3. Why was the BwB botched?

A multitude of reasons which are better placed in the Arya re-read thread as it would need an essay.

4. Excluding that single comment by Brienne, why were the Jaime/Brienne scenes botched? Also, not sure the bloody woman comment was a sign of her sexism, more a way of motivating Jaime.

Random fight scene instead of the actual dialogue. The bloody woman comment is exactly sexism since Brienne is trying to shame Jaime with comparing him to, that's right, a woman. And book!Brienne does not hate being a woman, she does not say or act in derogatory fashion towards women. A lot of what Brienne's story line deals with is just her struggles because she is a woman. Why is she belittling herself? It makes absolutely no sense.

5. What is incomprehensible about the Varys/QoT scene?

Varys is not involved in the Sansa plot line at all in ASOS. He does not tell the QoT. If Varys tells her, it makes her look incompetent. In the novels the QoT and the Tyrells figure out themselves that they need to marry Sansa to Willas (not Loras) without having Varys spell out the painfully obvious to them. So on the one hand, the QoT is going on about how men should not rule yada yada, on the other hand, she needs to be hand held by Varys to figure out that Sansa is the next heir to the north, when anyone with half a brain could figure that out. It ruins the QoT's character and makes her seem like a crotchety old woman, not the schemer she is in the novels.

6. They cant just have Theon disappear for two seasons, and they need to introduce Ramsay's cruelty and cunning.

Oh indeed, but why do it in such a random fashion? Could anyone follow the internal logic in what was going on? My SO has seen the episode twice and he still has no idea what that was all about. I've read the novels more than once, and I have no idea what that was about.

Edited by Lyanna Stark

How is "You sound like a bloody woman" mocking sexism? Explain it to me like I was very, very slow, since it really needs careful explaining to make sense, at all. Unless we're in backwards land, perhaps.

It's a little something called sarcasm. She's taking the stereotypical sexist views of women in society and turning it against someone she sees as sexist. She's comparing him to a women as you say later in your post, but the male view of a woman, not the reality. You don't have female friends who make "stay in the kitchen" jokes?

A multitude of reasons which are better placed in the Arya re-read thread as it would need an essay.

I might pop over there to see why exactly one of the most faithful scenes in the episode was botched. Let me guess - Beric wasn't a complete skeleton? His speech wasn't from the books? And people call me unreasonable.

The Pod mention is pointless, has nothing to do with Pod's character and nothing with actual plot. Shitloads of actual plot has been cut, and this has been inserted for what reason? It's not funny, it's not entertaining and it doesn't make any point.

Book!Sansa is offered Willas, a much older cripple who she has not met. She is not offered to marry some handsome dude she fancies. Book!Sansa struggles with Willas as a choice and her disappointment at it not being Loras, but judges that it's still a better offer than being a Lannister pawn and that she will do her utmost to make Willas love her. It's a big step forward in Sansa's character development and denotes her increasing realism. Loras adds nothing of this, it's pointless as far as character development goes.

Random fight scene instead of the actual dialogue. The bloody woman comment is exactly sexism since Brienne is trying to shame Jaime with comparing him to, that's right, a woman. And book!Brienne does not hate being a woman, she does not say or act in derogatory fashion towards women. A lot of what Brienne's story line deals with is just her struggles because she is a woman. Why is she belittling herself? It makes absolutely no sense.

Varys is not involved in the Sansa plot line at all in ASOS. He does not tell the QoT. If Varys tells her, it makes her look incompetent. In the novels the QoT and the Tyrells figure out themselves that they need to marry Sansa to Willas (not Loras) without having Varys spell out the painfully obvious to them. So on the one hand, the QoT is going on about how men should not rule yada yada, on the other hand, she needs to be hand held by Varys to figure out that Sansa is the next heir to the north, when anyone with half a brain could figure that out. It ruins the QoT's character and makes her seem like a crotchety old woman, not the schemer she is in the novels.

Oh indeed, but why do it in such a random fashion? Could anyone follow the internal logic in what was going on? My SO has seen the episode twice and he still has no idea what that was all about. I've read the novels more than once, and I have no idea what that was about.

Brienne's lines is twofold. One, she is using Jaime's own devices against him. Two, Brienne clearly has a disdain toward the typical perspective of a Westerosi lady and where they think their place is in the world. This is why she loves Cat, because she is atypical in the sense that she's strong and courageous. Up until the point she swears her service to Cat it seems that Brienne has never met a woman with courage (Other than herself).

It's not really hard to piece together. If you think it's sexist it's because they live in an incredibly sexist world.

Edited by DarkAndFullOfTurnips

A lot of people think that the Podrick Payne gag is quite funny. It's not supposed to make a point, it's just a little bit of light relief amidst the rest of the dark plotline.

I definitely don't agree with you about the Arya meeting the BwB scene being botched. No massive changes there.

You haven't said what was incomprehensible about the Varys/QoT, save to say that it wasn't in ASoS, and in your opinion marginally changes the character of Olenna Tyrell. It was a perfectly plausible scheme and scenario.

So it would be better for the show to spend a lot of valuable time, talking about a character who will probably never appear, when they have an actor already on set who doesn't have anything to do? I think you need to understand that this is a TV show.

How on earth do you know that Varys didnt tell the QoT anything? Varys knows pretty much every plot in Kingslanding, its not beyond the realm of possibility. Also, she isnt having her hand held, she's being told about LF's plot. Its her idea to marry Loras to Sansa

There was absolutely nothing random about the Jaime fight scene. It's also quite similar to the books, as he takes a sword off a guard and is disarmed by Shagwell.

The Ramsay thing is meant to be a mystery! Thats the whole point! What us there not to get if you've read the books? Ramsay is messing with Theon, trying to extract information while also having some sadistic fun. They can easily just reveal who he was later, also revealing Roose Bolton's treachery around the same time.

Edited by Joyful Union

You haven't said what was incomprehensible about the Varys/QoT, save to say that it wasn't in ASoS, and in your opinion marginally changes the character of Olenna Tyrell. It was a perfectly plausible scheme and scenario.

I'd say the strangest thing about this is related to the fact that everyone seems to know LF is planning on taking Sansa away. That is not very plausible.

Eh, not everyone will like everything. Especially things that make certain favorite characters look poorly or don't allow them to shine like the brilliant innocent star they wish them to be.