How would you rate episode 304?  

867 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

After watching the episode again last night, I changed my vote from a 9 to an 8. The whole fall of Lord Mormont was not handled very well IMO. I wish there was more to it. Like Sam holding him as he died and hearing his talk about his son Jorah. Something more emotional than what we got. It was far too rushed. My parents and a woman at work who do not know the books didn't even realize that Mormont was killed or that we was even that important to begin with. I still love the rest of the episode. It's all just so rushed though. HBO really dropped the ball with just 10 50-minute episodes. The season premiere and finale should be 2 hours. Even 90 mins would suffice.

The Dany parts saved this episode from being lower than a 6 for me.

The non book readers I was watching it with are completely confused.

I agree with the lack of emotionality around Mormont's death. The "Tell my son to join the watch" was important. I don't think they even get or remember that that is the same as the dude with Dany.

I could live with the Pod joke in the last episode. In this one it is sophomoric.

Beric has no Pathos.

I'm good with the back filling of seeing what happens to Theon rather than just hearing about it snatches of memory.

Any scene with Margary in it is good. She's rocking it.

Agreed. Every non-book reader I know (and they are not dummies either) is totally confused about everything but Dany's story since she is off on her own and her story is more easy to follow. But they have no clue what is going on with Jon Snow. No clue who Arya is with. No clue what Bran is up to. No idea what anyone in King's Landing is talking about. No clue who Jaime Lannister is with. No idea who Theon is with or why he is even there.

The scale. When something is 10 out of 10 it means it's perfect. If it's 5 out of 10 is average. If it's 1 out of 10 it's garbage. That's how it works.

Compared to what? How good an episode of TV it was in general? How good an episode of Game of Thrones it was?

Also, concerning the whole "Mormont telling sam about his son" scene... how many non-book viewers do you think actually know Jorah is Jeor's son? NONE of my non-reading friends know, and thus it would be a pretty redundant scene.

Edited by Rabid Grunt

Another solid 8. TV Dany seems to be lot less irritating this year,which is great. I also like very much how Tyrells are lot more active compared to books. I have to admit. I do not get the Podrick is sex God thing, but thats not bad. The whole plot line is slightly amusing,nothing more, nothing less. I also like that Tywin´s "family man" side is being brought up, children after children. Cant wait to see if he keeps his promise concerning his Grandson. The series this year has been great tv so far, but im still waiting for more.Maybe i am just greedy like that.

Pleased that I picked up on Dany's little secret last week. When she had the whip in her hand and started talking, I punched the air and cheered. lol For once, GoT played out more or less as I imagined it would.

As a non-book viewer, I haven't found this season too confusing. The last two episodes were saved by their endings. Everything else seems to be rambling along. That said, I am totally enjoying it. Also, I reserve my full judgement until the end of the season. Watching them back to back gives me a new perspective. In the UK, we have Thronecast, sometimes that fills in any gaps. The way I see it, the dynamics will radically change anyway, once they realise who the real enemy is. Everything so far is almost a filler, building up the tension.

By far, GoT is the best show I have watched. Resisting the temptation to buy the books has been tough but I think it's better to be surprised. I can drown my sorrows in the books when the show ultimately finishes.

I'd like to add that, so far, my favourite scene this season was the chair scene with the imp and sis. Genius.

Peace.

Also, concerning the whole "Mormont telling sam about his son" scene... how many non-book viewers do you think actually know Jorah is Jeor's son? NONE of my non-reading friends know, and thus it would be a pretty redundant scene.

Not to mention cheesy as hell. And fairly nonsensical, seeing as a lot of the mutineers hated Sam in the books and the show, and would kill him in a second given the chance.

After watching the episode again last night, I changed my vote from a 9 to an 8. The whole fall of Lord Mormont was not handled very well IMO. I wish there was more to it. Like Sam holding him as he died and hearing his talk about his son Jorah. Something more emotional than what we got. It was far too rushed. My parents and a woman at work who do not know the books didn't even realize that Mormont was killed or that we was even that important to begin with. I still love the rest of the episode. It's all just so rushed though. HBO really dropped the ball with just 10 50-minute episodes. The season premiere and finale should be 2 hours. Even 90 mins would suffice.

sam holding him as he died? While men were butchered all around them? And Mormont's killer( the guy who hates Sam) was probably very close and looking to kill him. Don't think that would have come across very well on tv without looking cliche and silly.

I gave it a big 9. Overall it was very good but the ending with Dany really pulled it up. Amazing!

There are still some things in the various storylines I don't like, but you can't get a 100 % perfect episode of course.

Agreed. Every non-book reader I know (and they are not dummies either) is totally confused about everything but Dany's story since she is off on her own and her story is more easy to follow. But they have no clue what is going on with Jon Snow. No clue who Arya is with. No clue what Bran is up to. No idea what anyone in King's Landing is talking about. No clue who Jaime Lannister is with. No idea who Theon is with or why he is even there.

It's obviously not a show for those that don't keep up when a lot of information is thrown at them as most of those things have been explained. The non-readers I know don't seem very confused about it, even though they of course can't grasp every single detail as it's a demanding show with more depth than what you get at first glance. As for Bran we're not even supposed to know where he's going since he obviously doesn't know that himself. They are just staying hidden. The Theon part is also quite obviously meant to be confusing since we're experiencing it through him, although there's of course been a few visual clues to where he is thrown around.

What my non-reader friends told me was that it is simply too much information for them. They said there should be a wiki :cool4:. I agree that some parts could be explained better, but it is definitely not an easy task pleasing two opposite audiences: readers vs non-readers. It is extremely difficult to follow such a rich book, full of important events and characters. But, overall, they are enjoying it and are getting the most important aspects of the story. In fact, they already make connections that didn't occur to me.

What my non-reader friends told me was that it is simply too much information for them. They said there should be a wiki :cool4:. I agree that some parts could be explained better, but it is definitely not an easy task pleasing two opposite audiences: readers vs non-readers. It is extremely difficult to follow such a rich book, full of important events and characters. But, overall, they are enjoying it and are getting the most important aspects of the story. In fact, they already make connections that didn't occur to me.

My bf and his friends (non bookies) are pretty confused. Of course they don't remember Beric being sent by Ned to kill the Mountain. The scene lasted like 10 seconds and was never brought up again. They thought the entire NW has turned, except for Sam, and I agree that was how it looked. That whole scene was just very rushed and could have been done better.

I also thought this would have been an ideal episode to reveal Boy's actual identity. By now yeah we know he's crazy. But we don't know that he is Roose's bastard Ramsay at the Dreadfort. The whole "who is boy" thing is starting to drag, and no longer a mystery but just irritating. My bf told me to just go ahead and tell him who he is.

I have no qualms about Dany's scene though... *cringes* ok, EXCEPT for, why is she still wearing the same clothes? Someone mentioned that last episode and I was thinking it's nothing to complain about.. but three episodes in a row? And on her biggest episode since her dragon reveal (I won't complain about her wardrobe in that one :) ) I wanted her to wear something different. Even Missandei changed, and she has been a slave all her life! I did like the added cape though, cool touch!

... On a side note, I think that David Peterson has done a brilliant job creating the Valyrian language! He even gets the different dialects down, like Astapori Valyrian, etc.. anyone wanting to read more about it, here is a link to his post on his website:

http://www.dothraki.com/tag/high-valyrian/

Anyways, I gave the ep a 10 on Dany alone.

My non-reader friends aren't confused much at all, except for with Boy which is obviously done on purpose. But they don't just watch it because, they're pretty obsessed. Occassionally they do ask questions that I'll explain from previous episodes, little bits of information they missed to explain something. But that's a good thing. Rewatchability is great, and reading through the books the first time I must have missed hundreds of things that I picked up on re-reads.

I would've like to have seen a little more destruction and carnage...more of the Unsullied running through the streets just killing people in tokars and breaking chains and a lot more of the city burning. Thats just me though. The point was already well made.

Also there are several divergences from the book. Margarey's continued mentoring and manipulating of Joffrey. Loved it. I love where they're going with it.

We are introduced to Varys' sorcerer....not sure how its gonna go...could be interesting but it could go either way.

The whole Pod as a Lady's man so incredible the whores are giving it away. It seems like they copied a Dos Equis commercial; "So suave, prostitues pay him." I know its only been one episode but it doesen't seem like it has the legs. I like my Pod's bumbling if not well-intentioned and honorable with a knack for coming through in the clutch.

Geat episode, too many question marks plus I don't know that we have a true feeling for just how good the Unsullied are. Can't give it a "10". Final grade, "8".

Edited by Keyboard of the Morning