Ok. Just got home and watched the episode. So I've read some of the posts but not nearly all. Had to say though, great episode! I've been straddling the line between those who like the show for what it is and those who can't abide the changes from the books. I still wish we could have some sort of epic year long mini-series that portrayed ASOIAF exactly how it is, but we don't. The television version that we do have right now has done a great job making really good tv and bringing this to the mainstream. As far as tonight's show, the negatives were mostly surface level. By that I mean that the show deviated so far from the actual story that it started to become its own entity. (very bad for some)

The positives were that despite that deviation, the plot and the acting drew the viewer in to the story that the producers re-wrote. Backhanded compliment, I know. Yet I really was pulled in by the insight into Varys' motivation, the Tyrell's plotting, and that bitch (I mean Theon)'s plight. The pacing was quite good this week. Not for one moment did I feel the show was moving too slowly, as I did with the first three. Cat in that dream with Bran was annoying, but maybe that's because I hate Cat. Jamie and Brienne's scenes irked me at first. Mostly because they were so far off from the text, but they actually did serve to give Jamie back some of the respect he lost by not fighting Brienne "well enough" earlier in the season. The mutiny was done pretty well. No complaints there. Dany's scene at the end was f'ing phenomenal. I know how the story goes, and I have grown to dislike Dany through the course of the literature, but when she takes charge and unleashes the Unsullied and her dragon, I got chills. Well played this week gentlemen and thank the Old Gods and the New that ASOIAF is so good we can talk about the tv show that is sort of about the book series!

I feel as though I'm the only person on the boards who thinks that would be a bad idea. But we'll see when it happens, I suppose.

I agree. I actually think it should end with the RW. If both events are in this season that means the PW will be in the finale with Tyrion being accused. They shouldn't end it with him escaping.

Ok. Just got home and watched the episode. So I've read some of the posts but not nearly all. Had to say though, great episode! I've been straddling the line between those who like the show for what it is and those who can't abide the changes from the books. I still wish we could have some sort of epic year long mini-series that portrayed ASOIAF exactly how it is, but we don't. The television version that we do have right now has done a great job making really good tv and bringing this to the mainstream. As far as tonight's show, the negatives were mostly surface level. By that I mean that the show deviated so far from the actual story that it started to become its own entity. (very bad for some)

The positives were that despite that deviation, the plot and the acting drew the viewer in to the story that the producers re-wrote. Backhanded compliment, I know. Yet I really was pulled in by the insight into Varys' motivation, the Tyrell's plotting, and that bitch (I mean Theon)'s plight. The pacing was quite good this week. Not for one moment did I feel the show was moving too slowly, as I did with the first three. Cat in that dream with Bran was annoying, but maybe that's because I hate Cat. Jamie and Brienne's scenes irked me at first. Mostly because they were so far off from the text, but they actually did serve to give Jamie back some of the respect he lost by not fighting Brienne "well enough" earlier in the season. The mutiny was done pretty well. No complaints there. Dany's scene at the end was f'ing phenomenal. I know how the story goes, and I have grown to dislike Dany through the course of the literature, but when she takes charge and unleashes the Unsullied and her dragon, I got chills. Well played this week gentlemen and thank the Old Gods and the New that ASOIAF is so good we can talk about the tv show that is sort of about the book series!

/dreamy sigh

We know that Ros left the North in search of more opportunity. This tells me she was ambitious and had probably already reached the top of the heap at whatever brothel she had been working at. It's entirely possible that she was involved in finances there and learned to read to further her career.

It's not like she's reading Tolstoy in this episode; she's just looking at an inventory.

We all have thresholds of disbelief when consuming media. I don't really need to know why Ros can read; I don't find it so unrealistic that I need an answer. She is, after all, an ambitious business woman.

When I said common peasant I was referring to Ros' father. I agree that Ros is not just a common peasant because obviously she is ambitious. Otherwise she wouldn't even have moved to KL.

Edited by Darth Zyroth

My heart bled for Sansa when she prayed to the weirwood stump. We know that among the Stark children, she's the most devout to The Seven and with the most desire of adopting the culture of the South. But now she yearns for the North and her family, and perhaps the closest she'll ever feel like she's back in Winterfell is in front of a heart tree.

That, and the Winterfell snowcastle later in The Eyrie.

I agree. I actually think it should end with the RW. If both events are in this season that means the PW will be in the finale with Tyrion being accused. They shouldn't end it with him escaping.

PW would seem kinda crammed in if it ends the season. much better for season 4.

To be honest, it could work as a cliffhanger type ending. It would also alleviate the sorrow of the Starks being massacred. The issue is that it would really mess with the timeline, and give characters like Tyrion very little to do for most of season 4, but sit in a cell for much of the time. Also, if they are introducing Mace Tyrell and Oberyn, it probably should be before the wedding.

Thoughts…

*Glad Mormont finally got killed off. I hated the character in the books and in the show.

*Scenes with Joff were awesome as always. Loved seeing him wave triumphantly to the crowd.

*The stuff with Theon is gettign a little tedious, let’s get to some real torture.

*There will be no PW this season, enough.

*Danny’s scene was great.

*Tywin laying the ground work for the RW priceless.

Pod... that was beyond lame

I hope Willas still exist in the show universe even if he isn't betrothed to Sansa, I think it will be hard to merge his plot with Loras' after ADwD. Maybe at worst he could be Mace's younger brother, or nephew or something like that but I have a feeling that he will be important in future books.

I like the little bone they has thrown to the book fans about sigils.

I actually liked Ros few episodes past when she mentioned how it was when Sansa was born, but not this week, she is given more focus that Jon Snow, Mance, Arya and many others. Besides if show needs it's weekly fix of nudity we we weren't given the scene from the Peach? Because there would need to be actually some character development of characters that actually matter?

Watching Tywin with Cersei one has to remember his scenes with Arya last season, he had left her with the Mountain and has her taste he food he suspected to be poisoned but he still threated her warmer than his own children, or bannermen or well anyone else...

A wish for the future: we never had it in the books but I hope for at least one Sansa/Tywn scene.

For this episode, well not bad, some really lame moments but we are almost in the middle of the season and when it comes to Arya and especially Jon and wildlings I think that so far the show is wasting some big opportunities.

PS: Parts with Joffrey, Olenna, Tywin, Margaery, Sansa Bran and Dany were good, but not being fan of torture and humiliation on screen, I didn't watch parts with Jaime and Theon. There was too little of Arya, "her" scenes so far seem to be more focused on other characters.

Edited by Ice Turtle

Daaamn that was sick. That whole Dany scene was amazing.

So much for the people saying that Joff and Marg pic they had crowns on from the PW, huh?

I called that Ramsay was leading Theon in a circle and would just blame the killings on him.

Ramsay brought out his crazy face at the end there! Lol

Edited by -Ghost-

I actually got chills when Dany started speaking High Valyrian, loved it. Was a bit short imho but ofc they wouldn't be able to make it long enough, I'd like to see the sack of Astapor in a full length movie! I thought the scene with the sorcerer Varys just got by mail (giggle) was pretty good, adds to the character as we know him from the books.

Hated the Pod-thing again tho. What's up with that? Are they trying to throw in some American-Pie-Jokes in order to please some teenagers that can't follow the actual storyline? It's a serious show with some of the best action I've ever seen in tv-shows. Don't ruin it by throwing in stuff like that.

Ros' scene wasn't even focused on her it was on the lf/sansa marriage, and unless i'm forgetting something, I think the only scenes where she was the focus or one of the focus' was the shae scene earlier and after the baby is killed.

All her scenes have other much better characters in them so they are okay in my book, Not like she is having her own adventures by herself.

"In that urn are the ashes of Aerion Targaryen. Aerion Brightflame they called him. He thought drinking wildfire would turn him into dragon...he was wrong".

I can't get over how brilliant that was. It's delivered with such enthusiasm and delight. It's so perversely awesome.

Loved that scene! That whole thing was awesome