How would this be possible? Oberyn Martell has not even been mentioned by name yet, and he and Tyrion have already befriended each other by the time of the Purple Wedding. How will Oberyn volunteer to be Tyrion's champion when he has not even arrived at King's Landing?

Oberyn doesn't need to befriend Tyrion. They do end up being jovial to each other, but he doesn't offer to be Tyrion's champion out of friendship. The only reason he chooses to do so is to get revenge on the Mountain.

There is no need for him to be there at the wedding to be Tyrion's champion, because his trial doesn't take place at that time.

Great episode except for the Brienne's comments to Jaime which are problematic for many reasons, and the moronic "Pod the Sex God" plotline.

Dracarys was such an awesome scene, really gave me goosebumps. This should put an end to the "Emilia can't act' claims.

Conleth Hill is such a great Varys, always spot on.

I am not liking the direction the showrunners've chosen for the Tv Brienne, to be honest. She's already a ruthless killer, and now the first argument she used to convince Jaime not to give up was for revenge. "You sound like a woman" in this context was really odd coming from her. Especially since her "you have a woman's courage" comment to Cat was in the show IIRC.

However,I was a bit sad to not get Jeor Mormont's last words to Sam about wanting Jorah to come home and take the black.

Yeh, while realizing they can't capture everything, I thought that was an important moment and wouldn't have taken much time. I see it as an oversight similar to Jon Snow giving Mace his reason why he "deserted." I thought the "bastard" reasoning would have been much better (given in the book) than the Craster's Keep reasoning. Would have been perfect to show the Old Bear giving Sam the message and then moving directly to a frame of Jorah in Astapor for the final scene.

So who is bigger? Pod or Tormund?

I didn't really get the purpose of the Varys/Sorcerer scene.

I may be wrong, but doesn't letting Ramsay know that Bran and Rickon are alive damage some of the dynamics of the plot down the line?

Final scene...best scene of the series by far.

Edited by Son of Gendry

I thought this episode was great! Probably in the top 3 of the series for me.

I thought the Pod/whores scene form E03 was funny. The continuation was a bit weird, but the Varys story about his junk getting sacrificed to the red god, combined with the dumbing down of sorcery being associated with red god (Melisandre and Jaqen) gives me a crazy idea. What if they're setting up Pod to get his magic dick burnt in a brazier like Varys, courtesy of Lady Stoneheart and the brotherhood, who also worship the red god, for some crazy fire magic ritual? Don't know why, just a crazy thought.

I loved everything Dany this episode, and i'm not a big fan of hers. Dracarys was perfect! Ramsay's creepy look was also great, and did he totally change his voice at the end of that scene or is it just me?

Craster's was great too! I think Rast's line about killing Sam soon is forshadowing him as a wight. Instead of small Paul it will be Rast about to kill Sam and Gilly when Coldhands comes to the rescue on his great elk with his murder of crows! I wouldn't worry about Sam the slayer not happening. Fat guy and girl with baby will be slow, Grenn will catch up, see it, and they'll get split up again.

Mormont's dying wish could still happen. They could always have him tell Ed or Grenn before they leave Craster's. Probably not though. Great episode!

Edited by ChozenOne

I may be wrong, but doesn't letting Ramsay know that Bran and Rickon are alive damage some of the dynamics of the plot down the line?

Well in the books it was Ramsay who came up with the whole "switcheroo" in the first place, he was disguised as Reek remember?

I just don't get why everyone on here is loving this season so much. Yes last night's episode was better, but they could have had more action during the scene at Astapor, the carnage starts, and then we just see an explosion behind Dany's head. The sorceror thing was ok, but not necessary. Same with the stupid Podrick plot that was never in the books, why is this still part of the story? I'm not advocating a word by word translation, but they should be taking things that are not necessary out (such as Catelyn's monolouges with her dying father), not adding new storylines. In the end it will change the whole story. As the series continues I think they will go further and further from the books which I don't like. Theon isn't even in book 3, why is he even in this season? The first season was still the best, it followed the book as well as it could, had the most action, and was by far more thrilling. Its still OK, but I am disappointed.

I doubt we'll see both Red and Purple weddings. RW and Sansa's yes. Otherwise its too much squeezed in to too short a season.

Definitely won't happen. The season will probably end just after the Red Wedding. Which will obviously leave the non-readers horrified. One thing I am definitely excited about. How they already don't know what happens from friends already is beyond me, that was spoiled for me when I started book 3, thanks to co-workers.

Does anyone else think that its weird we've yet to even hear the name "Frey" used this season? Considering the impact they are going to have in only six episodes it seems like an oversight. They've done a good job setting up Boltons and next week Karstark but I wish we heard more about how pissed Late Lord Walder is.

Does anyone else think that its weird we've yet to even hear the name "Frey" used this season? Considering the impact they are going to have in only six episodes it seems like an oversight. They've done a good job setting up Boltons and next week Karstark but I wish we heard more about how pissed Late Lord Walder is.

Cately did mention Walder Frey, and what a bad idea it is to upset him the way Robb did.

re: the odd scene with Theon mentioning Ned Stark as his "father" - I feel like in the books, as readers, we only start to come around on liking (or sympathizing with) Theon again after most of his chapters as Reek. In the show I feel like they are trying to force watchers to like him again already. As with many readers those were some of my favorite chapters in the books so I hope they handle them delicately and correctly.

i think they are doing that on purpose....they dont want people to suspect any danger during the RW, they want it to be a complete shock. I think it will all happen and then the freys will have dialogue about how pissed they are

re: the odd scene with Theon mentioning Ned Stark as his "father" - I feel like in the books, as readers, we only start to come around on liking (or sympathizing with) Theon again after most of his chapters as Reek. In the show I feel like they are trying to force watchers to like him again already. As with many readers those were some of my favorite chapters in the books so I hope they handle them delicately and correctly.

i really liked this scene. got a little choked up, not gonna lie. i always felt that was how theon felt deep down. i liked this addition.

i really liked this scene. got a little choked up, not gonna lie. i always felt that was how theon felt deep down. i liked this addition.

I always felt it deep down as well, but I also felt it was important that it was never truly revealed in the books, as we were able to form our own opinions about Theon. It just took me much longer when reading than watching. In the books there were many times where I would think "this is what he deserves", I fear that won't happen in the show and people will just feel sorry for him.