[book spoilers] Your non-reader friends/family thoughts and their predictions.

Just finished re-watching with a friend who hasn't seen it yet. She still can't get over Jaime's hand and thinks it will "humble him." She thought the mutiny was really random and didn't understand why it happened. She called it "cray." lol. Can't believe the NW would do it to their own men. When I told her what happened in the books she said that made a lot more sense and wishes they did it that way (would have been difficult).

I've seen this complaint a couple of times with people saying that the mutiny should have been less spontaneous and I'm a tad confused. Unless I'm missing something it's just as spontaneous in the books. Chett's mutiny doesn't follow through and the one at Craster's is just a spare of the moment thing. The two are only linked in that the first shows the discontent within the NW to set up the second, but I think that this episode and last did a good enough job of setting that up.

In the books we get that there's resentment in the ranks, the men aren't happy on the fist. So we are prepared more for it, plus there's a lot more details of death and wounded of the NW, and how hungry they are and depressed.

In the show it's really a scene of pig shit, and mutiny the next.

In the books we get that there's resentment in the ranks, the men aren't happy on the fist. So we are prepared more for it, plus there's a lot more details of death and wounded of the NW, and how hungry they are and depressed.

In the show it's really a scene of pig shit, and mutiny the next.

I think that the details about the dead and wounded soldiers are simply something that unfortunately would be hard to fit in in the time they had. I think it's good that they didn't set it up too much though. I liked that it came out of the left field unless you were astute.

I think that the details about the dead and wounded soldiers are simply something that unfortunately would be hard to fit in in the time they had. I think it's good that they didn't set it up too much though. I liked that it came out of the left field unless you were astute.

I agree. Am I the only one that wasn't a big fan of the mutiny prologue? Also I just read your blog...Pretty good stuff. I'll check it out each week even if we disagree on a lot of things :P

I thought they set up Rast's actions earlier in the episode when he told Grenn and Edd that following Mormont had got them slaughtered at the Fist and that they should be going back to the Wall ASAP, not hanging around at Craster's. He also specifically said that they need to worry about themselves now or else they'd all die. Rast has been continually browbeaten by Mormont going back to S1 and more recently in getting dressed down in front of everyone on the march to Craster's and being made responsible for Sam.

So it shouldn't have been a shock that when given the opportunity, he'd backstab Mormont. The book scene where Mormont got stabbed (by a NW character that had not even really been mentioned previously) was just as chaotic and random. That's why the line in the book was "and then all Hell broke loose".

My GF is a non-reader. Well she is completely clueless on who "Boy" might be (she hasn't caught the Flayed Man analogy).

She is also very sympathetic towards Arya, Dany and Robb.

She considers Jon Snow a little dumb. Totally hates Joffrey and Jaimie. Loves Tyrion, Tywin and Brienne. Considers Stannis useless and without a purpose in the show. She doesn't dislike Cersei much because she says that Cersei is only protecting her children. She considers Cat also a bit stupid.

She is convinced that after "dracarys" Dany is almost on the road to Westeros ready to burn Joffrey... :D

And she is TOTALLY not expecting the Red Wedding... I'm eager to see her face when we will watch that episode. She is also convinced that Joffrey is one of the main villains... So she is also NOT expectin the Purlple Wedding.

I thought they set up Rast's actions earlier in the episode when he told Grenn and Edd that following Mormont had got them slaughtered at the Fist and that they should be going back to the Wall ASAP, not hanging around at Craster's. He also specifically said that they need to worry about themselves now or else they'd all die. Rast has been continually browbeaten by Mormont going back to S1 and more recently in getting dressed down in front of everyone on the march to Craster's and being made responsible for Sam.

So it shouldn't have been a shock that when given the opportunity, he'd backstab Mormont. The book scene where Mormont got stabbed (by a NW character that had not even really been mentioned previously) was just as chaotic and random. That's why the line in the book was "and then all Hell broke loose".

Not to mention Rast is introduced as a "Raper" and pretty much a huge dickhead with his comments toward Sam and Jon. There was also some subtle line by Rast of his discontent with the old bear leading them to a bloodbath to which Grenn says Mormont couldn't have known (Setting up the division of the NW over their feelings toward the LC).

A non-reader friend of mine said that the good always dies, and the bad always wins. As well as that Joffrey will probably live till the end of the series.

I told him nothing, even though I really wanted to.

• 2 weeks later...

My Dad is wondering how she is going to feed all those people though and thinks she should have stayed in Astapor and took over the city to feed her army. lol

Funny, my gf asked the same thing. All those things going on, and that's what she wonders :laugh:

Her other comments:

- Really confused about Theon and Ramsey. It is really hard to understand in the books too, so no surprise. I cannot tell her anything, I would ruin the Bolton treason and the RW...

- Rooting for Dany big time, she says is the only 'good' character in the show

- Not feeling any sorry for Jamie, at least yet (interesting...)

- Dying to see Joffrey dead (we are going to enjoy the PW)

- Not really caring for Robb and Cat (I think the RW is a bigger shock in the books than in the show, Robb portrait on TV is not really so compelling...)

- Laughing with Pod, Tyrion and Bronn

- Loving Olenna Tyrell, suspicious about Marg, big pity for Sansa

- Confused about the NW fight at Craster's Keep, but loving Sam

- A little lost with Bran's arc (quick and strange dream scene)

Archived