[Book spoilers] Dracarys!

It was better than what I had pictured in my head when I read the books. I liked the guy who played Kraznys, but it was awesome to see him burn. I loved Dany's speech when she said Valyrian was her first language, and when she freed the slaves.

I loved Missandei being the first to notice Dany speakiing Valyrian.

The scene of the Unsullied marching out of the city was epic.

The scene really was fantastic. As amazing as I had hoped for, and as amazing as when I had read it. From Dany revealing she knew Valyrian to Dracarys to them marching out of the city. Just absolutely amazing.

Their faces when they all realized she had been understanding every word they'd said was priceless. :thumbsup:

Emilia was great, the looks on everyone's faces when she spoke were great, the visuals were great, and the music was great. It was great.

Except...

The underlying premise was really stupid. It always felt to me like GRRM made the slavers unbelievably stupid so that Dany could get her army, and that translated right over to the show. Why don't they train the Unsullied to never be able to kill an Astapor slaver. And if that's not possible, why would they ever agree to sell their entire army?

I know they have "dragon envy" or whatever, but I can't believe they would be so shortsighted. Them not understanding the nature of a dragon? That makes sense. Them not understanding that someone might try ordering bought Unsullied to attack them? That doesn't.

I didn't like the chapter, and I didn't much like the scene. I was really hoping D&D would change the scene a bit, maybe show that the slavers do have quite a lot of soldiers (and not just a handful of guards) and have the Unsullied really have to fight it out a bit.

So, as is, it was very pretty nonsense. Sorry.

Emilia was great, the looks on everyone's faces when she spoke were great, the visuals were great, and the music was great. It was great.

Except...

The underlying premise was really stupid. It always felt to me like GRRM made the slavers unbelievably stupid so that Dany could get her army, and that translated right over to the show. Why don't they train the Unsullied to never be able to kill an Astapor slaver. And if that's not possible, why would they ever agree to sell their entire army?

I know they have "dragon envy" or whatever, but I can't believe they would be so shortsighted. Them not understanding the nature of a dragon? That makes sense. Them not understanding that someone might try ordering bought Unsullied to attack them? That doesn't.

I didn't like the chapter, and I didn't much like the scene. I was really hoping D&D would change the scene a bit, maybe show that the slavers do have quite a lot of soldiers (and not just a handful of guards) and have the Unsullied really have to fight it out a bit.

So, as is, it was very pretty nonsense. Sorry.

I disagree with your criticism. Astapor is a Mega-city in Bravosian terms. This was simply ONE private merchant and his 8000 man army. Astapor as an entire city has more armed men than that. He (the astapori slaver) had never been in a position to sell his entire army before because he had never been in an opportunity to buy a live dragon - which is worth more than 10-8000 men armies. and he was consumed with the lust for power that the ownership of a dragon brings. So he readily agreed believing he was getting the better of the deal. Why isn't it believable - people in fits of lust do all kinds of things. He didn't even presume she spoke Valyrian. To him she was just a dumb, westerosi whore/bitch who was fruitlessly trying to get her kingdom back. She might conquer some little cities along the way - but Astapor!? - Oh no. And look at what she did - she conquered him and his direct part of Astapor - she didn't go after the entire city. As a matter of fact - she then immediately left the city. So I find it entirely plausible and believable.

The idea of someone killing the slavers just never came up. As the show's dialogue notes -- most people sack cities, sell slaves back to the slavers, and then get more Unsullied later. They profit. Why would they expect someone to take out the slavers? How many people come around who are immune to the lure of money?

Archived