[Book spoilers] Dracarys!

Yes, The scene doesn't stand up to examination, or common sense, neither in the books, or now in the show. But as a TV moment it was effective in that it had that Indiana-Jones-outwits-the-german-army-and-escapes-with-the-arc rush. Once you sit down and think about it, it doesn't hold up, but as a moment it is effective, and that's all the show wants. For the logic, they can always point to GRRM.

Oh it was definitely thrilling to watch in that sense. It was all very well-done looking and appropriately epic in scale (for TV), and all the actors did an incredible job with the material they were given. But the commonsense-fail really messes it up for me. I'm glad it apparently didn't for just about everyone else, but for me it left a sour taste after an otherwise very good (probably top-5) episode. It would've been even worse except that I already knew it was coming.

Apart from this scene being immensely awesome and epic, there's one small detail that really stood out to me.

Whenever Krasnyz speaks it sounds like he's essentially raping the language, forcing it to convey whatever he means to convey.

When Dany spoke however, the language sounded smooth, playful, majestic and commanding, like a free soaring dragon.

Apart from this scene being immensely awesome and epic, there's one small detail that really stood out to me.

Whenever Krasnyz speaks it sounds like he's essentially raping the language, forcing it to convey whatever he means to convey.

When Dany spoke however, the language sounded smooth, playful, majestic and commanding, like a free soaring dragon.

That may be due to the fact that they are speaking two different languages, Astaporian (Kraznys' language) being harsher, and High Valyrian (Dany's) being smoother and more elegant.

While the people in this thread pointing out that it was very dumb of Krasnyz to sell his entire army are completely correct, I think y'all are underestimating the potential for hubris to lead an arrogant and greedy man into folly. The way he spoke to Daenerys in their previous negotiations, even in spite of the fact that he believed she did not understand what he was saying, demonstrates his overbearing pride.

And, y'know, if Daenerys actually had enough money (or equivalent) to buy all the unsullied, maybe Krasnyz would have thought better of it and not gone through with the deal, for this very reason - he can get money from lots of people, and because of that, he'd be able to take a more detached view of the deal he was contemplating. But the prospect of obtaining a dragon perhaps blinded him to better judgment.

Basically, if you want to tempt a rich man, don't offer him more simple riches. Offer him something he could otherwise never have.

What I'm not willing to buy is that would not always have enough other soldiers/slave soldiers on hand to properly defend the city. As is, its like a gun store owner selling a gun and bullets to someone, and not having a shotgun behind the counter in case the customer gets any ideas.

Well, greedy gun store owners might sell you their last shotgun if it gets them a dragon.

I suppose the slavers aren't used to selling eight thousand Unsullied all in the one go. Nobody but Dany has dragons, so nobody else can afford to buy all the Unsullied.

A once-in-a-lifetime opportunity came along, and they got greedy.

Emilia was great, the looks on everyone's faces when she spoke were great, the visuals were great, and the music was great. It was great.

Except...

The underlying premise was really stupid. It always felt to me like GRRM made the slavers unbelievably stupid so that Dany could get her army, and that translated right over to the show. Why don't they train the Unsullied to never be able to kill an Astapor slaver. And if that's not possible, why would they ever agree to sell their entire army?

Well , one thing, GRRM does not bring this up or maybe he had it in the back of his mind, I think the Astapori trainers of the Unsullied never , in their wildest dreams, thought someone would buy slaves and then free them. My guess it had never happened?

GRRM is a little inconstant in the books , the long story by Kraznys of how the Unsullied are made ... seems to paint them as robotic terminators.

All independent thought washed away.

Yet in the book, when offered their freedom they take, even tho Grey Worm keeps his name apparently other Unsullied change names.

GRRM , after Astapor had one and only one elaborated Unsullied character, Grey Worm.

... Grey Worm , is chosen by the Unsullied (in fact apparently other Unsullied officers were picked by the corps , but we never find out who they are.)

Tho mostly silent Grey Worm (an absolute Unsullied) is capable of independent thought, seemly implying the rest of Unsullied are too.

Dany's freeing them and then having them stay as her devoted army is a square wave in the whole Unsullied thing.

So I chalk it up to GRRM's doing the narrative 'road not taken' , GRRM is full of surprise and never elaborating the obvious , I love surprise!

Awesome scene! But I kinda loled when Drogon flapped in the air like it wasn't a big deal. Yeah, I'm a big lizard with tiny wings. Screw physics!

Which part are you referring to?

1. Maybe they've got lightweight bones.

2. He was doing plenty of flapping in the transfer scene.

3. The scene at the end was the one with more gliding - maybe you can chalk that up to thermals. Not really my area of expertise, but I suppose if the water there (Astapor is on the coast) is cooler than the surrounding air, a breeze coming in over the water could push the warm air over the desert around Astapor up, so once the dragon gains some elevation it might be easier to stay aloft? I'm sure someone who wasn't an English major can tell me if I'm right.

Just saw the episode. This scene was amazing! They did it right! That moment when she said "Unsullied!" in Valyrian, and the camera showed everyone else's expression was just so great and almost exactly how I pictured the scene when I read aSoS.

It is done!

Just saw the episode. This scene was amazing! They did it right! That moment when she said "Unsullied!" in Valyrian, and the camera showed everyone else's expression was just so great and almost exactly how I pictured the scene when I read aSoS.

It is done!

It thought it weird that Kraznys took a while to realize she spoke Valyrian though. Everyone was immediately shocked but Kraznys only reacted when she addressed him directly. Minor nitpick in an otherwise stellar scene.

Archived