[Book spoilers] Dracarys!

I had to be amused by Dave and Dan playing off the non-readers.

Some figured out that Dany spoke Valyrian (both High and Low)from glances and facial expressions , tho, sure seemed ultra subtle to me.

So D and D fold this into the Dracarys! scene in the show,it works!

Well it's the same in the books except we readers know, tho it's odd that no one in or around the Slavers noticed that Dany didn't look like anybody in her party and no one knew the history of Valyria and what Valyrians looked like.

The book had Dany give the appearance of not understanding Low Valyrian for strategic purposes.

They left out Dany's long conversation in High Valyrian with Missandei .... it seemed in episode 3 when Dany got Missandei she seemed to have figured out that Dany spoke Valyrian, but in episode 4 when Dany spoke it for the first time, she seem surprised. Odd.

A minor bit of trivia twice now (I don't think more than that) Dnay has said "of the blood of Old Valyria" , interesting since , if we can believe the Targ family tree, she is not pure blood Valyrian.

(Tho being a Targ makes that almost a distinction without a difference.)

So I applaud D and D's dramatic use of Valyrian.

(It is never explained why, in the books that Dany speaks Valyrian , since George being the good author he takes it that the reader can figure out that since Dany grew up in the Free Cities that she would speak Low Valyrina , and for sure that Viserys would have insisted she speak High Valyrian , since he was about 10 when he left KL. So it was a nice touch when Dany in E4 said that Valyrian (really High) was her "mother tounge".)

Dany has been great this season. I got to say she is much improved from the books.

It has been a while since I read her chapters in SoS but iirc she is pretty accurate at the moment. It is not like the show came up with her double cross of the slavers and her sack of Astapor.

Grrm's story for her just makes really good tv at present.

They did a great job, with the entire scene. It played out, far better than I thought the TV show would make. Brilliant work and kudos to the show creators. Only bad part apart it; the road where thousands die in Dany's path, has now begun. That part in the books and now, show; is where I began to pull my support and like for Dany.

It thought it weird that Kraznys took a while to realize she spoke Valyrian though. Everyone was immediately shocked but Kraznys only reacted when she addressed him directly. Minor nitpick in an otherwise stellar scene.

The same was true in the book too, though - only one of the Masters noticed she was speaking Valyrian, because the others were too preoccupied with Drogon.

They left out Dany's long conversation in High Valyrian with Missandei .... it seemed in episode 3 when Dany got Missandei she seemed to have figured out that Dany spoke Valyrian, but in episode 4 when Dany spoke it for the first time, she seem surprised. Odd.

I think it's just that Valar Morghulis and Valar Dohaeris are just such well known phrases that it doesn't matter, I mean assuming you speak English as a first language I'm sure you could count plenty of foreign phrases you know, Spanish, French, Latin all have phrases which lots of people know despite not speaking them.

I think another thing worth mention with regards to Kraznys' underestimation. I'm assuming the Unsullied require commands spoken in Valyrian. What immediate threat could Dany possibly pose to Kraznys if she needed a slave to command her army. What risks would she take in giving Missandei the power to control her entire army. Missandei isn't possibly as broken in as say... Reek.

The framing of Dany walking toward the Unsullied (shot at an angle and from slightly below), with Drogon framed above her in the sky, was epic.

I do admit that while the scene was outstanding, I missed Dany's actual delivery of "Dracarys" from the book.

"Drogon," she said sweetly. "Dracarys."

Somehow, saying his name "sweetly" made a big impact on me. She just says the command in a straightforward manner on the show.

Also loved Jorah and Barristan looking at each other after like 'sheeeeeeit'

They learned their lesson from the previous ep: Never question your Queen in front of strangers. :D

While the people in this thread pointing out that it was very dumb of Krasnyz to sell his entire army are completely correct, I think y'all are underestimating the potential for hubris to lead an arrogant and greedy man into folly. The way he spoke to Daenerys in their previous negotiations, even in spite of the fact that he believed she did not understand what he was saying, demonstrates his overbearing pride.

Maybe like Dany, Krasnyz was thinking he can use Drogon to turn against his momma and take back the Unsullied - but unfortunately, he can't make a dragon his slave.

Well this actually reinforces the argument that Kraznys didn't implement any common sense safeguards for his particular trade.

Anyways I feel like it's about business and good faith. You don't kill your weapon supplier. They are just a third party in whatever conflict is occurring outside their walls. Can it bite them in the ass? Most certainly. Kinda parallels some real life politics actually. Both blinded by greed and the naivety of good faith.

I always got the feeling that it was not only the slavers' greed that blinded them to the possibility of having the Unsullied turned against them, but their severe underestimation of Dany herself. Kraznys is an arrogant prick, speaking Valyrian willy-nilly, insulting and degrading Dany and assuming she doesn't understand a word he's saying. That same arrogance would have him assuming that Dany could never be smart enough to turn the tables on him.

That, plus his salivating over owning a dragon, shows what an idiot he really is. He obviously never stopped to consider "hmmm, can I actually manage and control a dragon?" just as he never stopped to consider Dany's brain power.

The framing of Dany walking toward the Unsullied (shot at an angle and from slightly below), with Drogon framed above her in the sky, was epic.

I do admit that while the scene was outstanding, I missed Dany's actual delivery of "Dracarys" from the book.

"Drogon," she said sweetly. "Dracarys."

Somehow, saying his name "sweetly" made a big impact on me. She just says the command in a straightforward manner on the show.

This was exactly my thought. The only thing I'd have liked to see in that scene was Dany calling up to the dragon "sweetly" and him looking down at her before she gave the kill order. It not only showcases Dany's youth and girlishness (which is a large part of what makes her so endearing to her people), but it also shows the strength of her connection with her dragons.

Sorry, but you are wrong. It wasn't just one slaver... all the Unsullied traders gathered to pull that number of soldiers. It's written in the book, that when it comes to Unsullied, there aren't different trainers, they all do it combined, they have a standard to do it.... So, Dany was really buying all of the Astapor's soldiers, they had some personal guards, but not Unsullied (as they said, it wasn't wise to mix them with the other slaves).

My comment was based on the TV show. I believe that's what the OP was trying to criticize - so I stuck to that. But the book version is still believable. 1) DRAGON...once in a lifetime opportunity! 2) They continually and seriously underestimated Dany - never thinking for a second that she would pull a move like that.

The same was true in the book too, though - only one of the Masters noticed she was speaking Valyrian, because the others were too preoccupied with Drogon.

Yeah I know, but it just looked weird on screen seeing her shouting out commands and Kraznys struggling with Drogon in the background. Really not a big deal though.

People talking about how dumb Kraznys and the slavemasters were: you're missing an important historical point, one that is crucial to understand the whole Dany arch. George Martin brings a modern slavery vision into the story, through the eyes of Dany. She sees slavery and thinks the way we would, she thinks it's terrible, unbearable. This can be justified by the fact that she spent her entire life hiding and running and doesn't really know a thing about life or war, and also is kind of heart. It's very clear how mildly all other characters look to slavery in the books: the slaves themselves have a problem with being free in many cases, they don't know what to do with this new society she builds, and they want the old order to return (in the books, after this event). Not all of them, of course. And of course, many people come to agree with her point of view, but it is very confusing either way, she brings something nobody never imagined it could be. That's why unsullied weren't trained no to attack their previous masters, that's why it's NOT dangerous to sell 8000 unsullied to one person: why on earth would somebody free them? Why would anybody attack Astapor? I don't really remember if it's Astapor, but one of this slave cities it's described as not having any kind of physical defense whatsoever, because why on earth would somebody attack slave traders? It would be the same as killing blacksmiths ou sellswords - they're often essential to war. Westeros is clearly different for banning slavery, but as Jorah arch proves, slavery is not all that far away from westeros and westerosis' minds. (P.S.: sorry bout any spelling mistakes, english is not my mother tongue).

maybe show that the slavers do have quite a lot of soldiers (and not just a handful of guards) and have the Unsullied really have to fight it out a bit.

So, as is, it was very pretty nonsense. Sorry.

No it is not.

Unsullied are usually sold of in batches of a hundred there, three hundred there, maybe a thousand every once in a very great while. Ordinarily the slavers would always have retained numerical superiority with the unsold Unsullied. Anyway, the slave trade has been going on for so long and is so long established in Astapor and the whole Slaver's Bay, with unspoken rules, conventions and traditions (see Dragon of Valyria's post #20) that I find it absolutely believable that it never crossed the slaver's minds the Unsullied could and would be used against them.

Also, the slavers DO NOT have a large number of guards, what would they need them for with 8600 of the best soldiers in the world guarding their city?

Archived