[BOOK SPOILERS] Nitpick without repercussion?

I have one little nitpick. It wasn't from this episode but since we only have a nitpick topic for this episode i'm just going to post it here.

I believe this was in episode 1. When Tywin was telling Tyrion that he would never give him Casterly Rock.

Twyin said 'I have 7 kingdoms to rule, and 3 of them are in open rebellion'

The only kingdoms rebelling are the North and the Stormlands. The Riversland are in open rebellion, but the Riverlands are not a kingdom!

It kinda annoyed me (i know it's nitpicking)

Correct me if i'm wrong tho.

Maybe he is refering to the Iron Islands?

I have one little nitpick. It wasn't from this episode but since we only have a nitpick topic for this episode i'm just going to post it here.

I believe this was in episode 1. When Tywin was telling Tyrion that he would never give him Casterly Rock.

The only kingdoms rebelling are the North and the Stormlands. The Riversland are in open rebellion, but the Riverlands are not a kingdom!

Iron islands

Okay, here goes.

Now usually I like Varys' scenes, in-fact he's one of my favorite characters in either the book or show. I also think Conleith Hill is incredibly talented, his scene with the QoT was brilliant...

But.

Didn't his speech about being cut seem a little... forced? I don't know what I was expecting from the scene but something about the way he delivered it just didn't sit well with me.

It's straight from the book and I thought Conleth Hill nailed.

However the deal about him obtaining his 'cutter' , was not in the book, I don't remember.

The dialog about how he was cut , on the page , seemed GRRM was telling us something about the Illyrio-varys mystery conspiracy which seems to be something bigger than just getting revenge on your old tormentor.

In fact it seems to involve Tyrion and Dany and something Varys and Illyrio have figured about about the Red God and the Great Other.

Yes, the riverlands are a 'kingdom' in that they are one of the 'seven kingdoms.' After the BoBWB though, only two of those seven kingdoms are in revolt, not three. The iron islands and the isles around Dragonstone are not kingdoms.

So the show got it wrong. Doh.

The seven are;

Dorne

Reach

Westerlands

Vale

Stormlands

Riverlands

North

That was a little disappointing yeah but I've come to accept that we'll never really get real battle scenes but *start of battle* *fade to black* *aftermath* instead because of budget constraints.

At least this season feels much more balanced in terms of "wow" scenes compared to last season where nothing great happened until Blackwater.

I kept track of the time remaining when it got the 10 min. mark I knew they had to get "Dracarys" into something around 10 to 11 min.

Well it was an excellent compact-ti-fication and pulled in all the relevant elements.

If I remember in the books , here is another case , on the page, of 'fate to black' , if I remember right the bulk sack of Astapor is (like the two upcoming battles)told in summary form.

Well shall see what they do with the upcoming action.

I agree with the complaints about Varys. His speech seemed to come out of nowhere and then when he had the sorcerer in the box, it was really odd.

And yes, everyone and their brother knows what Littlefinger is up to.

Yes, the riverlands are a 'kingdom' in that they are one of the 'seven kingdoms.' After the BoBWB though, only two of those seven kingdoms are in revolt, not three. The iron islands and the isles around Dragonstone are not kingdoms.

So the show got it wrong. Doh.

The seven are;

Dorne

Reach

Westerlands

Vale

Stormlands

Riverlands

North

The Riverlands were NOT a kingdom. It was The Kingdom of The Isles and Rivers (Iron Islands and Riverlands). Some Hoare (I don't remember which one) invaded the Rverlands and made them part of the Kingdom of the Iron Islands. The 7 kingdoms before Aegon where:

The Kingdom of the North.

The Kingdom of the Rock (Westerlands)

The Kingdom of Vale and Sky (the Vale)

The Kingdom of the Reach.

The Kingdom of the Stormlands.

The Kingdom of Isles and Rivers.

Dorne.

I know that we are not supposed to comment on other people nit picks, but people complaining at brienne callin jamie a women seems a little thick skulled. Brienne was trying to get Jamie to stop acting like a huge bitch, she likely just said what she thought would make him start eating n what not.

The Riverlands were one of the original seven kingdoms (controlled from the Iron Islands by Harren the Black).

The three kingdoms in rebellion are the North, Riverlands, and Dragonstone. The Stormlands have been back in the fold since Blackwater.

edit: just read Darth Zyroth, yeah Tywin's comment is off, bad history - not sure about the Iron Islands cos Tywin hasn't got the letter of alliance offer from Balon yet.

Maybe he is refering to the Iron Islands?

Of course! It must be. Thank you! I totally forgot about that (How could I!) I guess it's because they don't really show them that much (only Theon) and it has been a couple years since I last read A Storm of Swords.

The Riverlands were one of the original seven kingdoms (controlled from the Iron Islands by Harren the Black).

The three kingdoms in rebellion are the North, Riverlands, and Dragonstone. The Stormlands have been back in the fold since Blackwater.

But Dragonstone is not a kingsdom. Dragonstone is part of the Crownlands which is a constituent region. Right?

I suppose you are kinda right about the Stormlands being back in the fold, but doesn't Stannis have most Lords from the stormlands supporting him? So some of the lords in that kingdom are still rebelling.

http://gameofthrones...boundaries.html

I think you're still right. Because the North, the Riverlands, the Iron Islands and Dragonstone are in revelion. But Dragonstone is not a Kingdom, and the Iron Islands and Riverlands where one. The Stormlands are not in revelion anymore since the BBB. So that would really be only 2: Notrh, and Isles and Rivers. Unless Tywin is counting the latter as 2. But makes no sense! But then Tywin doesn't know his history in the show. I mean in season 2 he didn't know that Aegon rode Balerion, Visenya rode Vhagar, and Rhaenys rode Meraxes. Come on!! is common knowledge and history you people!!! I'm pretty sure Tywin should know his history. Did he say that about the 3 kingdoms in the book? I don't remember.

I think you're still right. Because the North, the Riverlands, the Iron Islands and Dragonstone are in revelion. But Dragonstone is not a Kingdom, and the Iron Islands and Riverlands where one. The Stormlands are not in revelion anymore since the BBB. So that would really be only 2: Notrh, and Isles and Rivers. Unless Tywin is counting the latter as 2. But makes no sense! But then Tywin doesn't know his history in the show. I mean in season 2 he didn't know that Aegon rode Balerion, Visenya rode Vhagar, and Rhaenys rode Meraxes. Come on!! is common knowledge and history you people!!! I'm pretty sure Tywin should know his history. Did he say that about the 3 kingdoms in the book? I don't remember.

I don't remember him saying anything about it. I was planning to look it up after i noticed this on the show but i haven't had the time yet.

I loved that they included the stories about Rhaenyra Targaryen and her half-brother's dragon. And about Aerion Brightflame drinking the wildfire!

I don't remember him saying anything about it. I was planning to look it up after i noticed this on the show but i haven't had the time yet.

I loved that they included the stories about Rhaenyra Targaryen and her half-brother's dragon. And about Aerion Brightflame drinking the wildfire!

I loved those mentions. I love when they mention history because I love the history of ASOIAF, and Joffrey was great during those scenes. But I don't like that Targaryens are buried. They are supposed to be burned.

That LF's subtlety is all but gone now. Am surprised he hasn't come up with the Westerosi version of twitter to keep everyone informed of his moves.

How they are handling Sansa story.

Ros, but what else is new?

That they are still going in about Pod the marvelous lover and former virgin

I would have appreciated more build up for the 2 highlights this season- Craster's Keep and Dracarys. One was too messy and the Old Bear deserved better than just dying without his last words. Too late for this but is a shame we didn't get to see Sam the Slayer. I know this can come up in the future, but I ike that before he died the Old Bear voiced out loud that the true enemy isn't the wildings, something that resonates later on when Jon reaches the same conclusion in ADWD.

As for Dracarys, I just would have appreciated if they had taken more effort into actually making the audience believe that Dany was giving away a dragon. As it was, I watched the episode with 3 non readers and they all figured out eary on Dany's entire plan

Theon talking about Ned being his real father. Too early in the story, besides even completely broken Theon never thought of Ned that way.

I loved those mentions. I love when they mention history because I love the history of ASOIAF, and Joffrey was great during those scenes. But I don't like that Targaryens are buried. They are supposed to be burned.

It was kinda odd because Joffrey did say: Over there in that urn are the ashes of Aerion Targaryen, Aerion brightflame they called him. But then he says: Do you want to see where the last Targaryen's are burried. But we also see A LOT of urns in the background, so most of them must have been cremated.

Joffrey then says: My father was going to have them burned and thrown into the blackwater, but the high Septon convinced him otherwise.

To me it seems like all the previous Targaryens were burned and put in urns (thats why there are so many) and that just the last generation was given tombs because the high septon wanted this. Maybe the Septon though he was honoring the last Targaryens that way? It's just a show thing anyway.

More of an observation than a nit but the BWB (Beric and Thoros at least) were more solemn in the books. They're a bit smiley and happy in the show, although it hardly matters.

As long as it doesn't stop us getting Arya's question to Thoros about bringing back a man with no head, and Thoros to Brienne 'some knights are dark and full of terror'.

But Dragonstone is not a kingsdom. Dragonstone is part of the Crownlands which is a constituent region. Right?

I suppose you are kinda right about the Stormlands being back in the fold, but doesn't Stannis have most Lords from the stormlands supporting him? So some of the lords in that kingdom are still rebelling.

Yeah I'm not sure what Dragonstone counts as (should know considering it's my name), it's not part of the Crownlands as Stannis's title was Lord of the Narrow Sea. Guess just a standalone territory that's less than a kingdom, same as the Riverlands.

After Blackwater the storm lords either pledged loyalty to the crown or were executed for not bending the knee. The only ones who continued to support Stannis were the soldiers who got away with him and the five hundred or so men stuck in Storm's End. Post-BW his strength was nearly all from lords sworn to Dragonstone. Unclear what the setup is in the show.

Archived