[BOOK SPOILERS] Nitpick without repercussion?

I didn't realize I had so many little gripes until I started this post. But....I agree with what someone said about D and D perhaps taking this and turning it into their own story, nor GRRM's.

Look, they almost have to. There is no way GRRM will be finished with the book series before the show is off the air, so they have to beat their own path. Sadly, they aren't anywhere near as clever as GRRM.

Im very annoyed at Theon calling Ned his father.

Not because Theon would never say it, but because its bollocks! and we're supposed to think this is some kind of revelation for Theon. Ned was never a father to him! He's right to be bitter and angry about that!

"Forced" is the perfect word for Varys monologue delivery. He should've been delivering that dialogue to Tyrion is a darker room, speaking softer and slower, more close-ups, maybe some glistening eyes. I mean come on.

Things I didn't care for:

• Wizard-in-a-box. A pointless, self-indulgent waste of time which marred a chilling and well acted book scene.
  • Follow up scene to Pod and the whores. I laughed the first time, but now it's time to shut up about it.
  • Completely pointless Bran scene. I understand why they're struggling with Bran but that still doesn't excuse the fact that it will be half way through the season next week and he's done next to nothing. Perhaps his episode 2 material could have been split over episode 3 as well?
  • No Mormont/Sam scene at the mutiny. But perhaps Sam will return to the ruins of Craster's and find Mormont bleeding out?

Agree that the Bran scene was pointless, but in the show's defense, he does absolute jackshit for most of the novel. I was hoping that we instead get some backstory about Robert's Rebellion from the Reeds, but I doubt it, considering how Jojen mentioned that his father never spoke of the Rebellion.

I am finding the show hard to follow, an I've read the books a few times. It's just leaping between PoV to quickly without really establishing anything.

A good example of this is the Night Watch scenes, I don't really get the sense that they are scared and on the run from a huge army of wildings, and undead. More just hungry and a bit cold. Frankly the whole watch behind the wall arc has been reduced to the watch sitting around Crasters keep, moaning.

I enjoyed the meeting in the cave between the Hound and Dondarrion, the end with the unsullied, and the set for the temple was pretty great.

Agree that the Bran scene was pointless, but in the show's defense, he does absolute jackshit for most of the novel. I was hoping that we instead get some backstory about Robert's Rebellion from the Reeds, but I doubt it, considering how Jojen mentioned that his father never spoke of the Rebellion.

I get that, but I think spreading out some of his already existing material across episode 3 as well as 2 would have at least given the illusion that Bran is doing more than he is. Maybe end Bran's material in E2 with meeting the Reeds, then E3 gives the extra info on warging? Then he sits out episode 4 and does whatever he's doing in E5, with him falling out the tree as a lead in scene.

All the Varys stuff seemed rushed this episode.

I liked the 'How I was cut' expose as it happened but it was pretty off-kilter how it started "Oh remember that conversation we were going to have a year ago?"

The wizard-in-a-box though? Nahhh - the scene needed more menace it for that to have worked as it should

The whole rapid trust of Lady Olenna was just too rushed I think. The back and forth between them was great but the ending? Oh now we are BFFs and going to tell each other everything?

The weakest scene in the whole ep for me was Bran's scene. It seemed to just be there to show he was still alive without actually pushing his story.

The more I think about it, the more perplexed I am about why Varys would even go to Olenna in the first place to tell her about LF wanting to take Sansa with him. Why wouldn't he go right to the Lannisters about this? He's good buddies with Tyrion now so he could have easily told him. It makes Varys look really indispensable to them by telling them this bit of news, and it would neutralize LF's power in one fell swoop since the Lannisters would realize that LF is not really on their side after all. I guess we'll have to wait and see how this plays out. Anyone have any ideas?

Great minds think alike :D But seriously, I'm worried that they're deliberately making Stannis more unlikable...

I know they are, but I'm holding out hope that they make his rescue of the wall thst much more epic and it converts everyone to the fact that Stannis is the only contender that cares about his realm.

The more I think about it, the more perplexed I am about why Varys would even go to Olenna in the first place to tell her about LF wanting to take Sansa with him. Why wouldn't he go right to the Lannisters about this? He's good buddies with Tyrion now so he could have easily told him. It makes Varys look really indispensable to them by telling them this bit of news, and it would neutralize LF's power in one fell swoop since the Lannisters would realize that LF is not really on their side after all. I guess we'll have to wait and see how this plays out. Anyone have any ideas?

Not to mention that Baelish just got back from an extended period with the Tyrells. Duh.

The biggest problems are Ros and Shae. Thankfully, the latter was absent this episode.

I've never liked Ros. I've always thought she takes up unnecessary screentime that could be used to focus on other more important characters. But this episode took my hatred of the character ( or rather, the writing ) to a whole new lever. I don't like what they've done with her at all, especially concerning Littlefinger. I just can't see a man such as him confide his plans to a woman like her. And when she went to snitch to Varys, it frustrated me even more. Her presence is causing more problems than solving them. I don't see the need of replacing Varys' birds, who we never see in the books, with her. It's idiotic. I hope the writers finally let her catch an axe with her forehead this season.

I also don't like what they're doing to Sansa's relationship with the Tyrells, especially the betrothal. I mean, come on, everyone in the Realm knows Loras and Renly were lovers, and now you want to marry him to Sansa? Unfortunately, it seems the writers have forgotten about Loras' actions in Seasons One and Two, and now they've made him straight. Also, it should have been Willas. Why did they swap him with Loras? It's not like they have to show the character onscreen.

One more thing: I'm skeptical about Dany's story in the future because of the whole Jorah/Selmy situation. I just don't see how they're going to wrap all this up and have the same fallout and ending like in the book.

One more thing: I'm skeptical about Dany's story in the future because of the whole Jorah/Selmy situation. I just don't see how they're going to wrap all this up and have the same fallout and ending like in the book.

Yep. The early reveal of Barristan made sense because viewers would probably realise. But it means they have to find another way of Barristan accusing Jorah of spying on Dany for Varys.

Suspect they will just have Barristan denounce Jorah at some point but it will be less cool than the uncovering/counter-uncovering that happened in ASoS which causes her to send both on a suicide mission through the Meereen sewers.

Yeah, all the NW stuff isn't really working for me either. And I agree, the rangers seem more hungry, cold, and grumpy than anything. There is no sense of urgency, no terror than an undead army is out there.

If he tells the Lannisters they will still have Sansa, if he tells the QOT, they won't. So, it fits better w/the original plotline, e.g. Varys is not a Lannister loyalist ultimately.

Look, they almost have to. There is no way GRRM will be finished with the book series before the show is off the air, so they have to beat their own path. Sadly, they aren't anywhere near as clever as GRRM.

IMHO: GRRM could have tightened up some of the story lines. I appreciate how D&D have condensed some of the endless wandering about in the woods (i.e. Arya, Jamie/Brienne, hopefully some of Bran and Dany in Yunkai and Maureen). Also how they have combined/eliminated certain characters. There are way too many book characters to make it work on tv. My Mom loves this show, but she always calls me the next day to clarify since I read the books. Plus, you have to keep in mind the budget they must work with. Between the sets, costumes, actors, CGI, etc. they have to be as economical as possible and still be loyal to the core story. It will never be as good as the books so you have to judge the series as a stand alone.

I did NOT like Brienne accusing Jaime of being a woman to break his depression- it was wrong for her as she was never a "girls are stupid character" and it was wrong for Jaime because whatever else his faults, misogyny isn't one of them.

It left a bad taste in my mouth, especially since, In the books it's "craven" that breaks through to him.

Bran's story does become almost nonexistent after ACOK. I think he has seven chapters over three books.

That's the problem with TV. They feel they need to give all characters good amount of screen time. The reason is probably budget, contracts, etc., but it hurts the show. Theon for example has no business being in the show at all, but because it's a show he's there.

The biggest problems are Ros and Shae. Thankfully, the latter was absent this episode.

I've never liked Ros. I've always thought she takes up unnecessary screentime that could be used to focus on other more important characters. But this episode took my hatred of the character ( or rather, the writing ) to a whole new lever. I don't like what they've done with her at all, especially concerning Littlefinger. I just can't see a man such as him confide his plans to a woman like her. And when she went to snitch to Varys, it frustrated me even more. Her presence is causing more problems than solving them. I don't see the need of replacing Varys' birds, who we never see in the books, with her. It's idiotic. I hope the writers finally let her catch an axe with her forehead this season.

I also don't like what they're doing to Sansa's relationship with the Tyrells, especially the betrothal. I mean, come on, everyone in the Realm knows Loras and Renly were lovers, and now you want to marry him to Sansa? Unfortunately, it seems the writers have forgotten about Loras' actions in Seasons One and Two, and now they've made him straight. Also, it should have been Willas. Why did they swap him with Loras? It's not like they have to show the character onscreen.

It's funny how things that the characters in the novels said specifically can't happen do in the show.

-Petyr specifically saying he could not approach Sansa directly

-Sandor saying he wouldn't fight in Joffrey's nameday tourney because they're gnats

- Petyr telling Tyrion to waste someone else's time by the notion of going to Catelyn to free Jaime

-Nitpick: Maester Lewin telling Theon to "run" when he specifically said "I don't speak of running" right before Winterfell's sack

And of course...

-The idea of Sansa marrying Loras, member of the Kingsguard (is he in the show?)

There were many more but it's been a year since I watched season 2 so I don't remember. Any others?

Archived