[BOOK SPOILERS] Nitpick without repercussion?

It's funny how things that the characters in the novels said specifically can't happen do in the show.

-Petyr specifically saying he could not approach Sansa directly

-Sandor saying he wouldn't fight in Joffrey's nameday tourney because they're gnats

- Petyr telling Tyrion to waste someone else's time by the notion of going to Catelyn to free Jaime

-Nitpick: Maester Lewin telling Theon to "run" when he specifically said "I don't speak of running" right before Winterfell's sack

And of course...

-The idea of Sansa marrying Loras, member of the Kingsguard (is he in the show?)

There were many more but it's been a year since I watched season 2 so I don't remember. Any others?

this honestly feel almost unforgivable...GRRM even said TV! LF is one of the most radically different in the adaptation. Of course, one of my favorite characters :( It's a shame. I also agree about not liking D&D making Stannis purposely awful to even watch.

My nitpick is that we have not seen "Sam the Slayer" yet. I feel like Sam killing an Other is a big deal for him and it must be witnessed by some NW brothers for it to be plausible. If he does it and no one but Gilly is around to see it no one would believe it. I hope it comes up soon.

It's funny how things that the characters in the novels said specifically can't happen do in the show.

-Petyr specifically saying he could not approach Sansa directly

-Sandor saying he wouldn't fight in Joffrey's nameday tourney because they're gnats

- Petyr telling Tyrion to waste someone else's time by the notion of going to Catelyn to free Jaime

-Nitpick: Maester Lewin telling Theon to "run" when he specifically said "I don't speak of running" right before Winterfell's sack

And of course...

-The idea of Sansa marrying Loras, member of the Kingsguard (is he in the show?)

There were many more but it's been a year since I watched season 2 so I don't remember. Any others?

I can't think of any others, but I bet there are plenty more. I don't like how they changed so many of the characters...from Littlefinger's boldness and carelessness to Stannis' lust and callousness. I don't know why they feel the need to change their attitudes. They're already interesting and well developed characters, why meddle with it?

I don't think Loras is part of the Kingsguard in the show. I specifically remember that the boon he asked of Joffrey was an alliance sealed by marriage with Margaery. He was never appointed to Joff's KG.

this honestly feel almost unforgivable...GRRM even said TV! LF is one of the most radically different in the adaptation. Of course, one of my favorite characters :( It's a shame. I also agree about not liking D&D making Stannis purposely awful to even watch.

Well I doubt they'd make any part of their TV show purposefully awful, but they sure have turned Stannis into an out and out villain so far, and completely stinted on Dragonstone so far. Davos hasn't appeared since the premiere! My only hope is that as we don't get a Stannis POV he could become awesome as in the books in S4 but I'm not holding my breathe.

Well I doubt they'd make any part of their TV show purposefully awful, but they sure have turned Stannis into an out and out villain so far, and completely stinted on Dragonstone so far. Davos hasn't appeared since the premiere! My only hope is that as we don't get a Stannis POV he could become awesome as in the books in S4 but I'm not holding my breathe.

it does sure feel though that they are trying to make him awful to watch...lol...they are painfully bad.

No, Loras is definitely not KG. That's why it was so easy for a lot of book readers to speculate the Loras/Sansa betrothal. It's kind of easy to speculate even without him not being KG, but that sort of sealed the deal..

it does sure feel though that they are trying to make him awful to watch...lol...they are painfully bad.

I'm sure they're high-fiving each other over the great villain they've created out of Martin's characters.

I'm sure they're high-fiving each other over the great villain they've created out of Martin's characters.

and probably how they've created some of the most intricate characters that GRRM could only dream of making, like Ros...

Everyone knowing Littlefinger's plans is getting to me. He's been completely destroyed in the show and turned into nothing more than a potential Sansa rapist mustache twirling villain which everyone attempts to stop.

Ros. 'nuff said

NO LAST WORDS FOR THE OLD BEAR.. horrible.

I'm also getting upset with the fact that Tywin is such a badass. He's making me start to like him.

Everyone knowing Littlefinger's plans is getting to me. He's been completely destroyed in the show and turned into nothing more than a potential Sansa rapist mustache twirling villain which everyone attempts to stop.

Ros. 'nuff said

NO LAST WORDS FOR THE OLD BEAR.. horrible.

I'm also getting upset with the fact that Tywin is such a badass. He's making me start to like him.

aww, you must be sad :( your user image. hey, it's still possible he's not dead quite yet and has some time....maybe? That really is a missed opportunity though if they don't do it.

----

I normally wouldn't care about Loras replacing Willas, because the audience is familiar with Loras. Yes, they don't have to actually introduce Willas, but the writers probably want to keep everyone tightly connected to make the audience feel more invested. However, my issue with it is how in the books Sansa has this super naive idea that she's going to marry the Knight of Freakin' Flowers (to her - the most beautiful man in the world) and it's totally squashed by the QoT. I really liked how everything was going in Sansa's arc...the mystery of Ser Dontos, of Willas, of Margaery, her future in general. Now it's been reduced to her marrying the "most handsome man" in Westeros and LF directly coming to Sansa with his plans. This show hates mystery, except for the convoluted Theon/Ramsay thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it, but it's so annoyingly purposely confusing rather than a mystery.

Yep. The early reveal of Barristan made sense because viewers would probably realise. But it means they have to find another way of Barristan accusing Jorah of spying on Dany for Varys.

It doesn't matter if people realize. We all knew who Arry was in Harrenhall, didn't we? It made her scenes with Tywin that more compelling (if they ultimately went nowhere). Keeping Barristan's identity a "secret" would've worked fine.

It doesn't matter if people realize. We all knew who Arry was in Harrenhall, didn't we? It made her scenes with Tywin that more compelling (if they ultimately went nowhere). Keeping Barristan's identity a "secret" would've worked fine.

Agreed. They shouldn't deviate unless they have to (that ship has sailed) so Daenerys should still believe he's the world's oldest squire.

I'm wondering why he hasn't revealed to Daenerys that Jorah is a spy since he's already revealed who he was. Revealing later on would seem kind of sleazy. Is he saving that card for when Jorah annoys him?

Except that it would've made Jorah look like a moron and would have been frustrating to the viewer that he couldn't figure out who he is rather than a somewhat badass "Of course you know me, I'm fucking Barristan Selmy" reveal. Tywin has no idea what Arya looks like.

It was also a bit frustrating for me to read that Dany is also so careless about this 60-year old squire coming into her service, just a reminder that she really should've been quite easily killed but is protected for plot reasons.

It's different though cos Arya had an obvious reason for keeping her identity hidden. The audience would realise who Barristan was and spend over a season thinking 'why doesn't he just tell Dany?!' and it would appear not to make sense because we don't find out till after he was worried she was the crazy side of the coin.

It's different though cos Arya had an obvious reason for keeping her identity hidden. The audience would realise who Barristan was and spend over a season thinking 'why doesn't he just tell Dany?!' and it would appear not to make sense because we don't find out till after he was worried she was the crazy side of the coin.

Doesn't Selmy also keep it hidden because he was LC of Robert's Kingsguard? We know Dany hates everyone and everything associated with King Bob. Her accepting the Lord Commander of his Kingsguard with really no questions asked was a little strange.

The timing of the reveal in the books was also important for ... later events.

I did NOT like Brienne accusing Jaime of being a woman to break his depression- it was wrong for her as she was never a "girls are stupid character" and it was wrong for Jaime because whatever else his faults, misogyny isn't one of them.

It left a bad taste in my mouth, especially since, In the books it's "craven" that breaks through to him.

people keep saying Jaime wasnt misogynistic. This is the guy who called Brienne wench for several hundred pages.

Archived