[BOOK SPOILERS] Nitpick without repercussion?

One of the incongrous things about the seven kingdoms is that no one is ever really clear on what the seven kingdoms are.

If you leave out the riverlands as 'making the eight', then we have the following that certainly are kingdoms ( they were when Aegon landed )

North

Vale

Stormlands

Westerlands

Reach

Dorne

The candidates for the seventh kingdom could be:

Iron Islands

Crownlands ( areas near King's landing )

Dragonstone and other areas in the narrow sea

Riverlands if you consider it a kingdom ( not sure if 'making the eight' is in the books )

My understanding of it is that any area that once had a king counts as one of the seven kingdoms and any area that didn't, even if its a place as big and important as the Riverlands, is excluded. I think the Crownlands belonged to one of the other kingdoms before Aegon the Conqueror came along, Dragonstone never had a king and was just an outpost for the Valyrians (not sure why they set up shop there, but that was Aegon's jumping off point), and the Riverlands were occupied territory under the rule of the Iron Islanders.

That leaves the Iron Islands as the seventh of the seven kingdoms since they had a king. I could be wrong about that, but that's my understanding.

And yeah, 'making the eighth' was a TV show invention, I'm certain of it. No POV characters around Bob Baratheon to see what went on during his hunting trip, which is the scene where the dialogue comes up.

-the Astapor slavers came off as cartoonishly stupid. All this time, someone like Ramsay Bolton could have just dropped a chest or two of gold, commanded the Unsullied to attack their former masters & taken their money back & taken over the slave business. Yes I know Astapor has other defenses but they're no match for 8,000 Unsullied.

Drogon is worth a hell of a lot more than a couple of chests of gold. He's one of only 3 dragons in the entire world. If someone had tried to buy a large amount of unsullied with gold I'm sure they would have been suspicious, but the thought of owning something so rare and priceless as a dragon blinded them from the obvious dangers.

Agree with most of the nitpicking here....why do D&D think the only way to keep viewers is dumbing down a good storyline? Understand that they had to reduce the huge list of characters but shouldn't they have a few more people around in the courtyards etc?

Hate Ros, Shae and the Podrick scenes. It takes away valuable time from story development of important characters & plots. If they had time to concoct this garbage, they had time to use for plot development

Sorcerer in a box????why?just stupid

LF is nothing like in the books + in the books he didn't spend his page time in brothels.

Another thing--costumes...Margery, Ros and Shae look like they got into the wardrobe of Aladdin or Spartacus. It is autumn in KL!

No excuse in leaving out Mormonts last words & The Slayer bit

No excuse in leaving out Mormonts last words & The Slayer bit

If you watch the season 3 trailer, there's clearly an Other walking menacingly towards something in the woods. I'm sure Sam will kill a white walker but they've just moved it to after Craster's Keep. Otherwise what would be the point in introducing the dragonglass at the end of season 2?

I'll be dissapointed if nobody but Gilly sees him slay the Other as a great part of 'the slayer' story was that all the men of the Night's Watch saw/knew it was the big fat coward Sam that killed the Other. Although he does get teased afterwards, I always felt they had a new, if begrudging, respect for him after that. If nobody sees him do it, I doubt many people will believe him when he gets back to Castle Black.

I actually liked Brienne's line, why are so many people complaining?

She has trouble with her identity in the novels aswell, for example when she accidentally says she's her Father's only son. Then realises what she said.

She wasn't insulting women because she doesn't respect women but because in her mind this is something that would trigger a reaction from a man like Jaime.

One of the incongrous things about the seven kingdoms is that no one is ever really clear on what the seven kingdoms are.

If you leave out the riverlands as 'making the eight', then we have the following that certainly are kingdoms ( they were when Aegon landed )

North

Vale

Stormlands

Westerlands

Reach

Dorne

The candidates for the seventh kingdom could be:

Iron Islands

Crownlands ( areas near King's landing )

Dragonstone and other areas in the narrow sea

Riverlands if you consider it a kingdom ( not sure if 'making the eight' is in the books )

This was cleared up before I think. The Kingdom of the Isles and Rivers was the seventh, which is basically now the Iron Islands. So the Iron Islands are the seventh.

I actually liked Brienne's line, why are so many people complaining?

She has trouble with her identity in the novels aswell, for example when she accidentally says she's her Father's only son. Then realises what she said.

She wasn't insulting women because she doesn't respect women but because in her mind this is something that would trigger a reaction from a man like Jaime.

But Brienne doesn't look at women as less brave, she recognizes Cat's woman's courage for instance.

Eta

http://feministfiction.com/2013/04/23/game-of-thrones-and-now-his-watch-is-ended/

But most importantly, it doesn’t make sense for Brienne. And that’s the point that really stings. Brienne is warrior, sure. Yes, she rejects the traditional place that woman hold in that world — but she also has many “feminine” traits, like a belief in romance, and a great sweetness and naivety. She she does not separate herself from her gender. She does not dismiss or deride women who hold a more traditional place in society. She is a character who compares dying in childbirth to dying in battle. She tells Catelyn that she has a “woman’s kind of courage,” and she greatly admires that. At this point in the story, the person that she respects the most — the person she pledged loyalty to, and is willing to risk everything for — is a woman. She does not pledge for Robb, King in the North. She pledges for his mother, because Catelyn is the one who helped her, and Catelyn is strong one who deserves her fealty.

This doesn't change the fact that Brienne has spent all her life in a culture that subordinates women and in which she has, by her very nature and her desires, struggled to separate herself from that subordinating culture by taking on aspects of male roles and life. There'd be something rather wrong, in fact, if she was all about female empowerment and how strong and fierce women are all the time; it'd ring false.

Brienne has an ambiguous relationship with the idea of femininity. She honors and respects it on the one hand, but deep down it's a hindrance to her, a thing she can't really partake in the prescribed ways.

In that article, note the qualification of what Brienne says: "a woman's kind of courage". Not courage, general. She has the Westerosi gendered world-view, just as most characters do.

On top of that, let me add that she does not need to deeply believe women cry and weep at the merest problem to use this against Jaime. She just has to know (as she does) that this is the stereotype, however unjust, and she has to know (as she does, as she saw last episode from the Kingslayer himself) that Jaime would be spurred to anger and resistance if she applied that stereotype to him.

It's the exact same thing as people going overboard on Yara Asha calling Theon a cunt, all because of her observation in ADwD that she thinks men are quite ridiculous about considering that such an insult. That doesn't mean she wouldn't use it -- it's just proof of men's stupidity that they're bothered by it but, hey, if they're bothered by it, by all means, she'd use it.

But Brienne doesn't look at women as less brave, she recognizes Cat's woman's courage for instance.

Eta

http://feministficti...watch-is-ended/

Oh, but I said that Brienne doesn't hate women. Brienne shows no signs of being a misogynist but she does understand that this is a ''man's world'' so to speak, and she also understands that because of this, to call a swordsman as weak a ''woman'' is very much going to be an insult to him.

Why should Brienne be all for female empowerment? She is an outsider looking in. She was born a woman but can not partake in many of the actions of other noble women. She's not pretty, she's not elegant or delicate.

She definitely appreciates women though, and understands courage when she sees it, whomever displays it, man or woman.

But it would be foolish to disagree that in this world, a character like Jaime Lannister would definitely be insulted by this.

It's not that she doesn't like women, but that she understands this will be a motivator for Jaime.

It's the exact same thing as people going overboard on Yara Asha calling Theon a cunt, all because of her observation in ADwD that she thinks men are quite ridiculous about considering that such an insult. That doesn't mean she wouldn't use it -- it's just proof of men's stupidity that they're bothered by it but, hey, if they're bothered by it, by all means, she'd use it.

I've never understood why "cunt" used as an insult is seen as a sexist term. Maybe it's used differently in the US, but in the UK, you can call someone a "dick" a "prick" or an "arsehole" and it means pretty much the same thing.

This doesn't change the fact that Brienne has spent all her life in a culture that subordinates women and in which she has, by her very nature and her desires, struggled to separate herself from that subordinating culture by taking on aspects of male roles and life. There'd be something rather wrong, in fact, if she was all about female empowerment and how strong and fierce women are all the time; it'd ring false.

Brienne has an ambiguous relationship with the idea of femininity. She honors and respects it on the one hand, but deep down it's a hindrance to her, a thing she can't really partake in the prescribed ways.

In that article, note the qualification of what Brienne says: "a woman's kind of courage". Not courage, general. She has the Westerosi gendered world-view, just as most characters do.

On top of that, let me add that she does not need to deeply believe women cry and weep at the merest problem to use this against Jaime. She just has to know (as she does) that this is the stereotype, however unjust, and she has to know (as she does, as she saw last episode from the Kingslayer himself) that Jaime would be spurred to anger and resistance if she applied that stereotype to him.

This is a great post. But I think there's a bit to say about her facial expression and the sort of disgust and disdain she expresses when saying it. i think that speaks to her inner conflict regarding the double standard not only manifested by men of Westerosi society, but also the common woman's/lady's acceptance and adherence to their typical societal roles. I thought it was quite a deep and provoking line, actually.

I liked the scene but it came out of a left field a little.

"Ah Tyrion! I was just about to tell you about when I was cut!"

It wasn't the story in and of itself that felt forced but I felt like it didn't come up organically.

I thought the fact that they threw in the sorcerer-filled crate made the urgency of his story fit perfectly.

In contrast to people complaining about Brienne the self-hating woman, I thought changing Dany's response to Valar Morghulis to 'Yes, all men must die, but we are not men' was a little too overtly girl powerish. Made me cringe a bit.

Yeah, what does that even mean?

Yeah, exactly ''cunt'' is really not gender specific WHEN USED AS AN INSULT in the UK.

Do you think so? I always thought you could only really say 'cunt' to a guy, actually. I remember watching the Wire when McNulty calls his ex-wife a cunt and thinking 'shit that was harsh, can they do that in America?'

Of all those words 'bitch' is the only one you can call a girl. Stuff like prick, twat, bastard, wanker etc. just sounds strange when talking about a girl, same with 'cunt'. Seriously I may be way wrong but that was just how I heard them!

Soz for the mass profanity, guys (and girls...)

I've never understood why "cunt" used as an insult is seen as a sexist term. Maybe it's used differently in the US, but in the UK, you can call someone a "dick" a "prick" or an "arsehole" and it means pretty much the same thing.

It is used differently in the US. It's the worst possible thing you can say, and it is beyond the Pale for women to use that word. If you want to never see a woman, or any of her friends, ever again, and need to change your phone number if not street address, call her that.

Do you think so? I always thought you could only really say 'cunt' to a guy, actually. I remember watching the Wire when McNulty calls his ex-wife a cunt and thinking 'shit that was harsh, can they do that in America?'

Of all those words 'bitch' is the only one you can call a girl. Stuff like prick, twat, bastard, wanker etc. just sounds strange when talking about a girl, same with 'cunt'. Seriously I may be way wrong but that was just how I heard them!

Soz for the mass profanity, guys (and girls...)

I call girls twats all the time too. :P Maybe I'm just weird.

Archived