[Book Spoilers] Who was that dude Varys and Tyrion were looking at?

JMJ

Well, for us book readers, that was quite a surprise, eh? Who the heck was that gnarly dude locked inside that box-thing Varys and Tyrion saw? At the time, Varys was explaining how he came to be a eunuch and how he despised all things magic-related. It seemed to imply that the guy was the original warlock who performed the ritual castration on him. Now that would be quite different from the books. If so, why was Varys keeping him in a box? And why was Varys opening the box anyway? To check on him? If not, who was he?

I think it was supposed to be the original sorcerer. The funny thing is, for a brief moment, I thought it was Thoros, given his magical abilities, and began panicking about the direction the show was taking. And the scene seemed to imply that Varys could now torture him in any way he wanted.

People keep saying that Varys keeps this guy in a box. I did not interept it this way at all.

I thought rather the sorceress had just been shipped there, and this was the first time Varys had opened said crate.

As for why this dude is even in the show I do not know, perhaps just to show how serious a man Varys really is.

I'd have to say that the whole c*ckless-wonder-that-is-Varys is a lot less important in the books than in the show, by which I mean the fact that he is an eunuch seems to be referenced every single time we see him on the show...

Him being an eunuch/how he became one isn't that important in the books, so I have no problem about this scene...

Yeah, dude just got shipped there. It was the sorcerer from his story, thats why he calls him old friend. That whole scene was maybe a little unnecessary.

So Varys just found him on eBay?

People keep saying that Varys keeps this guy in a box. I did not interept it this way at all.

I thought rather the sorceress had just been shipped there, and this was the first time Varys had opened said crate.

As for why this dude is even in the show I do not know, perhaps just to show how serious a man Varys really is.

Me too. The package just arrived. Merry Christmas from across the narrow sea.

The theme of the scene was revenge (actually the whole episode) and how to go about it. Varys was describing his slow rise to power and displaying that his patience paid off resulting in having the sorcerer shipped to him. He was telling Tyrion to be patient when he seeks revenge against his sister.

Also, one thing the show has done for me is reinforced some of the impressions I gathered from the books about Varys. Varys, while having devious methods, is one of the few "good guys." He's always motivated by what's best for the realm, instead of what's best for him. His desire to help Ned was sincere. While he admires Little Finger, he wants to stop him because he's an evil, wicked man. Varys is very selfless, which is a reason they keep reinforcing that he's a eunich. He's a man that's been robbed of a major factor that motivates other men. I'm not sure about a connection with the Targ's, but I wouldn't be surprised by a connection with the Faceless Men. He grew up in the Free Cities and is a master at disguising himself. Or, I could be wrong and he's the most wicked character in the series. :eek:

I agree that it was likely the sorcerer that cut Varys that got shipped to KL over the sea recently. I think it has no sense right now, though. I wonder what direction they are going to with this because if it was just this, it seems nonsensical to include it IMO. I wonder what Varys' revenge will be.

I agree that it was likely the sorcerer that cut Varys that got shipped to KL over the sea recently. I think it has no sense right now, though. I wonder what direction they are going to with this because if it was just this, it seems nonsensical to include it IMO. I wonder what Varys' revenge will be.

I honestly think it will be a throw away - just to set the example that something that is important to Varys he will continue to work for and to present to Tyrion that, if he will continue to work, should be able to get the the ends he desires.

Oh, and don't cross Varys because he will have you hunted down and boxed up like a birthday present.

I did think it was a nice touch to include the airholes in the box.

I honestly think it will be a throw away - just to set the example that something that is important to Varys he will continue to work for and to present to Tyrion that, if he will continue to work, should be able to get the the ends he desires.

Oh, and don't cross Varys because he will have you hunted down and boxed up like a birthday present.

Maybe it will be, but then it will be a little bit of a waste for me. Maybe it is just because Varys looked like he was doing something tremendously important when opening the box, I think most of the people watching expected it to contain something really important for the storyline.

I did think it was a nice touch to include the airholes in the box.

I agree about that. The first thing I thought of was it contains dragons, which of course makes absolutely no sense, but it was obvious it was a living thing.

Book spoilers~

I saw it as foreshadowing Varys naval shipping, since Tyrion becomes the 'Dwarf in a Bottle'.

I saw it as Varys mentoring Tyrion, to his own likeness.

I saw it as Varys garnering trust in Tyrion, and proving he hates magic when both Stannis and Daenerys, two great enemies to the Throne, use magic of a form.

I would not be surprised if the magician was a simple malcontent, cast into the mummer's play.

I wouldn't be surprised if the show was that open with Varys past as well, I suppose, but it seems too open played.

Archived