[Book Spoilers] Who was that dude Varys and Tyrion were looking at?

JMJ

I thought this scene was interesting since it showed that Varys is about the long game. He waited (I'm guessing) 30 years to get revenge on the sorcerer. It shows that him waiting around for Dany to grow up is completely within character.

It was also intersting to me since part of me always thought he lied in the books about how he was cut; I thought maybe he was an escapee Unsullied.

People keep saying that Varys keeps this guy in a box. I did not interept it this way at all.

I thought rather the sorceress had just been shipped there, and this was the first time Varys had opened said crate.

As for why this dude is even in the show I do not know, perhaps just to show how serious a man Varys really is.

I also took it this way. Varys was just opening his long awaited prize for the first time.

I think this was 1) To reveal Varys almost compultion/impatience over the one thing Varys could lose his cool over...the one thing he was emotional about. 2) Because he wants to encourage Tyrion to be a problem for Cersi. It fits in his plans so he wanted to show vengence can come for those willing to work...and here is my proof.

Has anyone ever CONFIRMED that Varys is indeed a eunuch?

Varys wants Tyrion to think it's the sorcerer for across the sea but how do you know he's not playing him? The guy in the box could be some random guy from Westeros. Also, did it appear that his mouth was sewn shut? If so I'd imagine he'd die very quickly from dehydration and likely not survive a journey from Essos.

I took this as lending credence to him being a sorcerer. They sewed his mouth shut so he couldnā€™t use spells and glamour to escape.

I saw in this scene an attack to the Lannister's family unity, an attempt to pull Tyrion away, ready to be used after being found guilty of the Purple Wedding.

Things are marching, and the only one in the court that wouldn't feel better if something happened to Jeoffrey is his mother.

Varys's scene is so well planned of (was the old man in the box with his lips sewn, wasn't him?) that I find it difficult to believe that, right now, with the war, the things happening.... Illyrio found the way and the time to send him the warlock.

I took it as another one of Varys's charades, with an old man from flea bottom in the box for Tyrion to be impressed.

But yet, I'm one of the bookreaders not convinced by the often and very high voice stated "public interest" tendences of Varys's.

This man coldblodedly starts civil wars, planning for years from the foreign with other known enriched criminals and scammers (Illyrio), and then tries to sell to you that he did "for the good of the Realm and the smallfolk?"

Maybe his birdie are motivated by that believe. Until he has to kill them because they know too much, and to replace them with newer ones, as we know (book 1) that he does.

I like your way of thinking concerning VarysĀ“ plan to sow discontent among the Lannisters and maybe he would take this further by letting Tywin know about the Tyrell plan in relation to Sansa, could make a nice twist in tat Varys plays everyone to create confusion in KL, as per the idea we are getting in the end chapter of DwD, when he kills Kevan for that very reason, to make sure the Tyrell and the Lannister alliance is shaky and on the verge of collapse.

This would explain why when he gets to knows about LittlefingerĀ“s plans in relation to Sansa, he doesnĀ“t just go to Tywin or Cercei directly, would make much more sense, as he is already master of whisperers working for them, and as far as he is concerned it doesnĀ“t matter who spoils LF plans. Lannisters seem an easier device for this, rather than go through the whole scene with the Tyrells.

If I remember correctly in the books, Tyrells do not need a push from anyone and court Sansa on their own accord. I could be wrong though and Varys just might want to use the Sansa thing to try and gain Tyrell influence, but it just seems too easy.

Oh, and on the sorcerer thing, does anyone else place any importance on Varys talking about the "blue flames" that the voice was talking from to the sorcerer? Blue = Ice, anyone? I mean unusual flames as opposed to MelĀ“s Red God, who presumably uses normal - "red" flames to send his visions to Mel.

Oh, and on the sorcerer thing, does anyone else place any importance on Varys talking about the "blue flames" that the voice was talking from to the sorcerer? Blue = Ice, anyone? I mean unusual flames as opposed to MelĀ“s Red God, who presumably uses normal - "red" flames to send his visions to Mel.

Not sure about the significance of this, other that it's straight out of the books' description.

Also interesting how the guy's mouth was sewn shut, it appears. I'd guess this was to prevent him from casting some spell.

While it sounds cool that Varys keeps a guy in a box in his room, it doesn't really make sense if you think about it.

How does he eat and drink with his mouth sewn shut? Go to the bathroom? Are there air holes in the box? How long has he been there, years? Too many questions unanswered..

While it sounds cool that Varys keeps a guy in a box in his room, it doesn't really make sense if you think about it.

How does he eat and drink with his mouth sewn shut? Go to the bathroom? Are there air holes in the box? How long has he been there, years? Too many questions unanswered..

I don't think we know enough to conclude anything, but my thoughts are that the guy just arrived via crate. he may have had his mouth sewn shut for the journey - maybe there's enough of a hole to force in some water, maybe mush? Anyway, we don't even know what Varys plans to do with him.

I have also been wondering about the significance of the blue flames. The only other time in the series we are told about blue flames in the story that I can remember is in Jaime's dream about the flaming sword. Both his and Brienne's swords have a blue flame. Is it meaningful? :dunno:

"You will get your revenge in time,if you have the stomach for it."

Neat foreshadowing there.It turns out to be Tywin's stomach,but it still fits the bill... :dunno:

Nice pickup!

I have also been wondering about the significance of the blue flames. The only other time in the series we are told about blue flames in the story that I can remember is in Jaime's dream about the flaming sword. Both his and Brienne's swords have a blue flame. Is it meaningful? :dunno:

Orcs, nearby?

:P

Varys had blue balls at the time.

People keep saying that Varys keeps this guy in a box. I did not interept it this way at all.

I thought rather the sorceress had just been shipped there, and this was the first time Varys had opened said crate.

As for why this dude is even in the show I do not know, perhaps just to show how serious a man Varys really is.

I think that this scene was used to show how dangerous Varys can be.

Archived