[BOOK SPOILERS] The issue with Jorah`s future

They're not fine with each other. Neither of them has spoken out against the other yet, but they haven't been exactly friendly either. They endure each other only to keep Dany happy. Something is bound to happen soon now that Dany's storyline is picking up speed. When the two of them fall out, Selmy will drop the secret, simple as that.

I've only read through SoS so forgive me if I'm being absurd. Is it a possibility that the TV show forgoes Jorah's betrayal, or is that too set in stone as a plot point in the books?

Really hard to know. Yeah, in one way it's important - when Jorah's in "exile," there's a lot of interaction with other characters in transit (I'll leave it vague). But to be honest I suspect a lot of that could be cut if they just want to get on with the story.

But Jorah's relationship with Dany will have to reach some kind of crisis - we'll see how they handle it.

I've only read through SoS so forgive me if I'm being absurd. Is it a possibility that the TV show forgoes Jorah's betrayal, or is that too set in stone as a plot point in the books?

That recap at 0:51 seems to be heavy evidence that something is going to happen next episode or else they wouldn't point it out

That recap at 0:51 seems to be heavy evidence that something is going to happen next episode or else they wouldn't point it out

Good call, and thank goodness for the recaps. I've totally lost track of what happened in the books versus what happened in the TV show. But that doesn't mean the later exile will have to happen - I don't remember when it happens in the books, but if it happens soon in the TV show, then Ian Glen won't have anything to do for quite a while. (Could he cross paths with Arya at some point, just to help connect her storyline to everything else going on? Although I can't think of any real plot purpose that would serve.)

Good call, and thank goodness for the recaps. I've totally lost track of what happened in the books versus what happened in the TV show. But that doesn't mean the later exile will have to happen - I don't remember when it happens in the books, but if it happens soon in the TV show, then Ian Glen won't have anything to do for quite a while. (Could he cross paths with Arya at some point, just to help connect her storyline to everything else going on? Although I can't think of any real plot purpose that would serve.)

Arya is the queen of bumping into random people and the show seems to even increase these people: Tywin, Littlefinger etc. but I don't see the point of having her meet someone her dad wanted to execute, unless they need to get Jorah off the show...

I agree the exile doesn't have to happen, and it probably won't happen yet as there's also clips in trailers of Jorah fighting guards at night, Daario and Grey worm also appear to be fighting along side him. Which means it's Yukhai.

I'm only pointing out that there's no way that the 1.5 minute recap that will air before next week's episode(why is it available already anyway?) would point out that Jorah was spying on Dany etc. unless there is a good reason to remind people.

In the books Dany learns of Jorah's betrayal when Arristan Whitebeard reveals himself to be Barristan Selmy after saving her life against the Titan's Bastard. Jorah calls Selmy a traitor, so Selmy points out that Jorah is one too. This happens outside the walls of Mareen after their "champion" loses to Strong Belwas.

In the show of course Selmy instantly reveals himself when he saves her life the first time from the assassin in Astapor(books he saves her in Quarth but same difference pretty much).

I don't understand why Selmy hasn't ratted out Jorah being a spy yet(that is if he knows), he seems like too honorable a man to keep that kind of secret from her grace.

My best guess is that Jorah will ask Barristan why he decided to join Dany after betraying her. Selmy might ask him the same question. I just don't think that Dany would let Jorah slide without some consequences. My next best guess is that a "little bird" from Varys will try to talk to Jorah and he'll tell the "little bird" he's done being a spy.

If I keep guessing I'm bound to actually get the right answer I suppose.

I can see it done with ease, and in the spirit of the book. Jorah gets jealous over Dany's attention towards Ser Barristan. He calls him a traitor to the Targaryen cause, they might have a little discussion, throwing stuff at one another, for example that Jorah fought against Rhaegar on the Trident, whatever... in the end Barristan accuses him of being an informant. He could justify the delay for the revelation, saying that he wanted to measure Jorah... something like that. Not that a big problem... I don't care about him.

It`s all nice and simple, but how would Barristan know Jorah is informant?

Has anyone brought up the fact that Jorah still might have the royal pardon that Varys's little bird gave to him? That document surfacing would be more than enough evidence to expose him.

Then the question becomes why keep that document when clearly he decides to stay by Dany's side? Perhaps it's a worse case scenario. If she dies then that pardon might allow him to return home.

as far as Barristan not being visible in the small council meeting, is that not what the books claim a good KG is able to do? Be a shadow on the wall? He could be in the room, we just don't notice him because he's off to the side being quiet.

Barristan is right next to Eddard Stark when Ned tells Varys that King Robert has had a change of heart on his death bed concerning the Targaryen girl so he knows of the plot to kill her, he probably knows that Varys had informants on Viserys for quite awhile.

Maybe we'll get a scene between Barristan and Jorah this next episode with Barristan asking why aren't you in Bear Island right now? Did you not get Robert's pardon?

Jorah might reply: I was there the day that Dany hatched her dragons. No one that witnessed that will ever abandon her, Darthaki rode a ship to Astapor with her, they traveled the red waste with her, and I would go through the seven hells with Dany if that is where she wants to go.

Nica catch about paper. In the books, didn`t he tear it apart or something like that? So, document would be far from existing. As for Barristan being shadow on the wall, that`s true, but it`s also regarding King`s protection, not the role in the Council. Barristan is next to Ned, but I don`t think Jorah`s name was explicitally said. The point is in the books, Barristan straight after revealed accuses Jorah of treason. Now, we don`t have that. The possible solution I see, assumingly Barristan knows something, is that he hides it. And that might be the reason why Dany will send both of them away of her in the first place.

My best guess is that Jorah will ask Barristan why he decided to join Dany after betraying her. Selmy might ask him the same question. I just don't think that Dany would let Jorah slide without some consequences. My next best guess is that a "little bird" from Varys will try to talk to Jorah and he'll tell the "little bird" he's done being a spy.

If I keep guessing I'm bound to actually get the right answer I suppose.

Nah it wouldn't make sense. The other part that's hinted to in the TV series that also is worked in with Jorah's banishment is Dany calls out his romantic interests in her. I understand why they couldn't introduce Sir Barristan as a mysterious gaurdian in the TV show, it's a lot easier to hide a characters identity in a book. Would have bee like a Dora the Explorer episode were everyone watching would see Sir Barriston but the characters would remain oblvious and laughably clueless.

It also is understandable why Barristan didn't declare Jorah as a spy and traitor in the port because Barristans reveal and Jorah's banishment is meant to take place as Dany finds herself seemingly at a dead end and surrounded by people she can't trust. I do think there will be a catalyst to get Barristan or someone else to reveal what Jorah was up to.

I know this is kinda of past the SoS book but I'm interested to see how the show presents the many competeing interests in Dany and her Dragons.

My one big literary complaint about the book is the miraculous crossing of paths all the characters have. Tyrions journey has the "roosters," Penny, the Bear, and Ben brown.

Since we don't know exactly what happens at the end of Dragons, it's wholy possible to skip the banishment and end up at the same place, depending on what that place is.

Character assassination of course :)

Although the weird lady in Qarth has already hinted at it.

My best guess? He confesses to Dany as part of a plea for her hand.

I thought Ser Barristan did sit on the council in the first season? No?

I don't think they're ok with each other, nor do I think they hate each other. I think they're both just very aware of the other's existence. Like when Ser Barry was talking to Dany and he said something like "we need [whatever]" and Jorah said "Is it 'we' already?". I think Jorah might resent the presence of another man whose council Dany trusts, and that it will bug him the whole season until he snaps on Barry, then they will get into some sort of arguement and Barry will reveal Jorah's involvement in her assassination attempt from S1.

... Or DD will have some other random way of having Dany find out. Maybe they will send Ros or something, since she knows everything.

As I recall, Tyrion meets Jorah and he decides to take Tyrion to Daenerys, right?

The key is that it doesn't have to happen like that. We don't know the final outcome, so who knows if Jorah ever gets back in her good graces.

Tyrion could just go seek her out after he escapes, circumventing that whole story arc.

... Or DD will have some other random way of having Dany find out. Maybe they will send Ros or something, since she knows everything.

Please don`t give them any ideas. That character if there`s some justice will end up dead like Dontos...

The key is that it doesn't have to happen like that. We don't know the final outcome, so who knows if Jorah ever gets back in her good graces.

Tyrion could just go seek her out after he escapes, circumventing that whole story arc.

True, but it would be a bit more difficult. Tyrion was already heading towards Daenerys with fAegon`s company, and then Jorah kidnapped him. And considering how good Iain Glen is, we can expect to see a lot from Jorah in TV series. At least, much more than we have him in the books.

Archived