(Book Spoilers) If Varys despises magic...

First, I totally agree with those of you who think aegon's the mummer's dragon (prob. blackfyre IMO). Second, when considering Illyrio and Varys' position on Daenerys I have to say that up until she hatched her dragons they were totally indifferent to them. They knew that Viserys would be a lost cause since he was a chip off the old block when it came to daddy, and Illyrio expresses in ADWD that he didn't think that she would survive the Dothraki. And since they had "Aegon" in their pocket from the beginning they had no reason to care. Then the eggs hatch and she gains a reputation, so Illyrio and Varys decide to strengthen their original positions by marrying her to Aegon.

Personally I don't think that anyone thought that Dany would actually hatch the Dragon's Eggs. They were just some pretty rocks to give away. Beyond that I think that Illyrio's endgame is simply to get a Targ on the throne, whichever Targ it is doesn't matter all that much. He probably would prefer Aegon, after all Viserys was nuts and Dany was just a young girl. But if Aegon failed I think he would be just as happy with Dany.

Of course Dany was merely supposed to be the coin that got Drogo's Khalazar to Westeros. She wasn't expected to be a player but since Viserys wound up dead and Dany didn't and she has Dragons, well, Ilyrio's plans changed. I think that he's playing it by ear, he had three contenders and when plan A went south he switched to B. Now as to what Varys' goal is is still somewhat up for contention. I think that Varys plans on being with the winning side when all is said and done and that's it. Tyrion made him drop the Lannisters for the moment but who knows what the future might bring? He's obviously still hanging around KL. As LF says most of the "pieces" think that they are "players", Varys is a player, as is LF and probably Illyrio.

Archived