Who Deserves to Rule Westeros?

Harrad

Nobody "deserves" it, of course.

The happiest ending would be if the dragons and the others annihilate each other in a spectacular, yet ultimately pointless battle, and the claimants to the throne kill each other off.

That would be something unexpected. Here is another version: the weary peasants having enough of the starving and bloodshed, putting aside what is left of the Houses and installing an oligarchy of wise men to rule. Guided by the knowledge of Bran and the children of the forest. But that might be too sugary. True, in some way or another, neither of the Houses deserves to rule, each of them are usurpers in their own way.

Everyone wants a Stark to be the ruler of Westeros ...... I like the Starks too! They have honor and all those virtues that a protagonist should have. Call them subtle protagonist of this series if you will! But let's be honest they make terrible decisions, most of them do not have the insight to smell an ambush, trap, or even control their own banner men.

They are not fit for Southern politics. None of them succeeded at it. They wind up dead due to their short shortsightedness. Having no vision does not make a good King.

On the other hand you have the Targaryen fans. Dany is too much of my way or the highway. Ruling a kingdom is about pleasing all the people, one just one portion of the people. See supports the slaves which is a good thing, but she shuns the slavers, which is a bad thing. If you free slaves (a good thing no doubt), you have to consider what the former slavers could do that would be socially constructive. Not just use your dragons to burn them. Can compensate the slavers to release the slaves in exchange for lands and goods and titles, privileges in her kingdom. That would be more voluntary, less bloodshed, less social tension.

Bran and Snow continue to be less and less associated with the politics of the South, and more involved with the saving of mankind from a threat far greater. So I see them as heroes of Westeros more than rulers.

Littlefinger will rule the Seven Kingdoms - it is known. (only to annoy us).

For Daenerys to rule the Seven Kingdoms, she would have to become a competent and able ruler. Although she is not crazy like her sire, Dany has shown that she has little to no aptitude in ruling the cities that she has conquered through ''Fire and Blood''. It is obvious to me as a reader, that she firmly believes that as she is the blood of the dragon, that it is her right to re-conquer and rule Westeros when in reality that is not often a sound reason to rule. Although it could be argued that because she is young, Dany is able to learn how to rule as a proper Queen but after re-reading the books it strikes me that she doesn't seem sure how to rule (thus creating more problems with the Meerenese, Ghiscari etc.) and it seems as though she lacks the willpower to even follow the reasonable advice of those surrounding her and will not even listen to anything bad related to her family, and often opts to follow her own decisions, believing the advice given to her is bad advice; which often results in more problems sprouting. Also, just because she has dragons does not mean that she would be a competent and strong ruler (especially as she is losing control over her dragons, who have all grown feral and blood thirsty).

For Jon to rule the Seven Kingdoms, he would have to actually die and be resurrected into a new body, otherwise he would be at risk of breaking his vows. Because of this, I cannot see him ruling the Seven Kingdoms. I can see him remaining as Lord Commander of the Nights Watch and battling it out with the Others. He is too honourable to do nothing less and he is highly reluctant (basing from the chapters with Stannis) to give up his position on the Wall to become a leader.

For Stannis to rule the Seven Kingdoms, he would actually would have to be able to rally the southern lords to his cause, and as we can see in ADWD he has actually failed to do that. I do not understand why people would want Stannis as the overall king. Like Daenerys, Stannis believes that he must rule because it his right as the heir to Robert. And although he has repeated that he does not wish it but he must rule, again it seems as though he repeats that phrase far too many times for it to seem reasonable. Granted he would be a good winter king, and would understand the paramount threat of the White Walkers but his severity and his strong blunt personality rubs other lords the wrong way, and to win the Iron Throne and successfully rule over the Seven Kingdoms, Stannis would need overall support from all the realms - something of which he does not have.

For Tyrion, I do not think he would be a able king. Sure, he's an able Hand but king? I don't think it is possible. Although, if he actually does become the king at the end, I will probably have to eat my keyboard!

For the Lannisters, The lannisters are done. Even if Cersei's prophecy is to be believed, I think Tommen and Myrcella's days are numbered anyway. And as for Cersei, her rule is ultimately over with the power of the Tyrells and their vassals.

For Aegon. Whether or not he is a fake (blackfyre e.g.) or the real deal (son of Rhaegar), he has been raised to understand that it is not his divine right to rule (like Dany) or he must rule (like Stannis). However because he's been introduced so late in the series and is not as of yet a POV, it seems as though he may die in WoW.

Seriously, I personally can't see anyone ruling the Seven Kingdoms from the Iron Throne. Perhaps by the end, the kingdoms will have split into seven different states with their high lords ruling as kings, as they had done before the Conquest.

Edited for spelling errors.

So no takers on the incipiently trending theory of Tyrion being a bastard Targaryen, same as Jon, which would make him a viable rightful candidate if Jon is dead, if Aegon's a fake, and Dany dies? Or is it more publicly accepted that he'll exert an equal authority as Hand of the Queen or King? Out of all the characters I've mentioned, Martin's preference for his character makes him the most likely to make it through till the end of the series. In fact, one may already be ruled out.

None of them do and that's the point IMO. Only the highborn care who sits on the Iron Throne at the cost of the small folk who's lives are ravaged by the conflict. GRRM nails this whole idea when the priest or maester ( I forget his name ) that travels with Brienne in AFFC gives a speech on the cost of war.

None of them do and that's the point IMO. Only the highborn care who sits on the Iron Throne at the cost of the small folk who's lives are ravaged by the conflict. GRRM nails this whole idea when the priest or maester ( I forget his name ) that travels with Brienne in AFFC gives a speech on the cost of war.

of course, if the kingdoms aren't reorganized, the next best thing would be if someone forward thinking loosened the hold of the monarchy after stepping into the role. that means someone who doesn't even want to play the game of thrones.

absent that, they need the wisest ruler and i am assuming 7 books are meant to sort out who is the wisest in the end.

I just hope that we don't get another Young Griff popping up out of nowhere and claiming the throne. Aegon entered the game too late and I didn't get invested in him, but I'd still rather have him on the throne than Dany..

Nah, he doesn't deserve it. Daenarys has taken over a large chunk of Essos, has gathered an army and has raised three dragons. Apart from being younger than Dany and presuming she'll jump at the chance of marrying him and signing away what she's worked for, what has Aegon actually achieved?

For Daenerys to rule the Seven Kingdoms, she would have to become a competent and able ruler. Although she is not crazy like her sire, Dany has shown that she has little to no aptitude in ruling the cities that she has conquered through ''Fire and Blood''. It is obvious to me as a reader, that she firmly believes that as she is the blood of the dragon, that it is her right to re-conquer and rule Westeros when in reality that is not often a sound reason to rule. Although it could be argued that because she is young, Dany is able to learn how to rule as a proper Queen but after re-reading the books it strikes me that she doesn't seem sure how to rule (thus creating more problems with the Meerenese, Ghiscari etc.) and it seems as though she lacks the willpower to even follow the reasonable advice of those surrounding her and will not even listen to anything bad related to her family, and often opts to follow her own decisions, believing the advice given to her is bad advice; which often results in more problems sprouting. Also, just because she has dragons does not mean that she would be a competent and strong ruler (especially as she is losing control over her dragons, who have all grown feral and blood thirsty).

For Jon to rule the Seven Kingdoms, he would have to actually die and be resurrected into a new body, otherwise he would be at risk of breaking his vows. Because of this, I cannot see him ruling the Seven Kingdoms. I can see him remaining as Lord Commander of the Nights Watch and battling it out with the Others. He is too honourable to do nothing less and he is highly reluctant (basing from the chapters with Stannis) to give up his position on the Wall to become a leader.

For Stannis to rule the Seven Kingdoms, he would actually would have to be able to rally the southern lords to his cause, and as we can see in ADWD he has actually failed to do that. I do not understand why people would want Stannis as the overall king. Like Daenerys, Stannis believes that he must rule because it his right as the heir to Robert. And although he has repeated that he does not wish it but he must rule, again it seems as though he repeats that phrase far too many times for it to seem reasonable. Granted he would be a good winter king, and would understand the paramount threat of the White Walkers but his severity and his strong blunt personality rubs other lords the wrong way, and to win the Iron Throne and successfully rule over the Seven Kingdoms, Stannis would need overall support from all the realms - something of which he does not have.

For Tyrion, I do not think he would be a able king. Sure, he's an able Hand but king? I don't think it is possible. Although, if he actually does become the king at the end, I will probably have to eat my keyboard!

For the Lannisters, The lannisters are done. Even if Cersei's prophecy is to be believed, I think Tommen and Myrcella's days are numbered anyway. And as for Cersei, her rule is ultimately over with the power of the Tyrells and their vassals.

For Aegon. Whether or not he is a fake (blackfyre e.g.) or the real deal (son of Rhaegar), he has been raised to understand that it is not his divine right to rule (like Dany) or he must rule (like Stannis). However because he's been introduced so late in the series and is not as of yet a POV, it seems as though he may die in WoW.

Seriously, I personally can't see anyone ruling the Seven Kingdoms from the Iron Throne. Perhaps by the end, the kingdoms will have split into seven different states with their high lords ruling as kings, as they had done before the Conquest.

Edited for spelling errors.

this is well thought out and while I don't have anything against it I must say Dany has the best "by rights" claim but Jon Snow is going to be resurected so who knows...

So no takers on the incipiently trending theory of Tyrion being a bastard Targaryen, same as Jon, which would make him a viable rightful candidate if Jon is dead, if Aegon's a fake, and Dany dies? Or is it more publicly accepted that he'll exert an equal authority as Hand of the Queen or King? Out of all the characters I've mentioned, Martin's preference for his character makes him the most likely to make it through till the end of the series. In fact, one may already be ruled out.

no I do not believe Tyrion is a basterd but I do believe he has a chance to live til the end. I believe that GRRM wants him to survive.

Nah, he doesn't deserve it. Daenarys has taken over a large chunk of Essos, has gathered an army and has raised three dragons. Apart from being younger than Dany and presuming she'll jump at the chance of marrying him and signing away what she's worked for, what has Aegon actually achieved?

I agree that if any of the Targaryens desreve to be on the throne then it is Dany but I don't necessarily agree that a Targaryen should be on the throne... we shall see!

Littlefinger will rule the Seven Kingdoms - it is known. (only to annoy us).

If Littlefinger wins, all these years were for nothing!

There's no such thing as deserving the throne, it's about whose best suited!

If its about who's best suited, that would be Aegon or Tyrion.

Dany is terrific but she's not the son of Rhaegar and a Queen stopped being a good idea since the cold war between Cersei and Margaery.

The Crown would never tolerate another woman after what they did (and that includes poor Myrcela after what Arianne has done to her),

Dany is terrific but she's not the son of Rhaegar and a Queen stopped being a good idea since the cold war between Cersei and Margaery.

The Crown would never tolerate another woman after what they did (and that includes poor Myrcela after what Arianne has done to her),

:rofl: you think Dany's a good ruler. She's just another Cersei: foolish, incompetent and easily manipulated

The kingdom will choose a woman before they choose a kinslaying, kingslaying dwarf that's for sure. Tyrion doesn't even have a claim to the throne. I only said Sansa because she can be queen consort for the South and rule through her husband

Stannis is best suited to rule, unfortunately he's too good to be true and George is going to kill him :(

Tyrion doesn't even have a claim to the throne.

Yet, as of A Dance With Dragons, Tyrion has the confidence of Aegon, the rightful heir to the throne, which makes him the most likely Hand of the King should the son of Rhaegar claims his birth right.

Just like Barristan Selmy became Hand of the Queen after Daenerys's first solo flight with Drogo in this book.

Yet, as of A Dance With Dragons, Tyrion has the confidence of Aegon, the rightful heir to the throne, which makes him the most likely Hand of the King should the son of Rhaegar claims his birth right.

Just like Barristan Selmy became Hand of the Queen after Daenerys's first solo flight with Drogo in this book.

There's no such thing as "rightful heir" I'm only putting money on Aegon because he's Varys' pawn

Well GRRM said alot of people will sit on the throne before the end, so i think this shows more is going to happen.

Tommen is the king right now, after him it will be Aegon

Stannis kills Aegon and takes the throne

Dany kills Stannis takes the throne

Dany learns of Jons parentage and marries Jon

Dany dies in childbirth, giving birth to The Stallion that mounts the world/The prince thats promised

Jon marries Sansa and Arya to keep them safe.

Sansa kills Jon with Littlefingers help, who had been banging Sansa, Jon snow knew nothing of the plot.

Arya kills Littlefinger and Sansa then she marries Jaqen

Arya and Jaqen adopt Dany and Jons baby and raise him to be a true killer, he destroys the white walkers and brings peace to Westeros.

Archived