Who Deserves to Rule Westeros?

Harrad

The Iron Throne belongs to Targaryens by right. Robert was a usurper and so is Stannis, imo.

Usurper or not he won the Targaryens in a rebellion so he deserved the Iron Throne. So Stannis indeed is the appropriate King even though he would make a bad one.

In my opinion in the end of ASOIAF there will be 3 Kings:

In the North: Rickon Stark

In King's Landing: Aegon Targaryen

In Pyke: Victarion Greyjoy

Stannis will die in the great battle against the Others, thus proving Melisande's prophecy wrong and Daenerys will die before landing in Westeros.

• 3 weeks later...

The people. They provide the food, the armies and in the end they get nothing. Sure, Westeros is years away from democracy/republicanism but since we're talking about who deserves [which is a hypothetical scenario] I say the smallfolk.

Personally, I believe the Lannisters (Cersei's kids). Because even though Dany is the descendant of King Aerys both his rule and house got fucked up and kicked out of Westeros by Rob, and that's just the rules of war, baby. And Rob may have had bastard children and Stannis as a means to an heir, but he got "murdered" as well and Ned wasn't able to see his legacy through, leaving the throne open for Cersei and her inbred bastards (I don't care if she claims that their Robert's. Blood is blood). And since we're still following the same laws/government, that puts Cersei and her crew in charge now unless if someone else is able to steal the spotlight.

Let's be honest. No one is going to rule Westeros. Anyone not lucky enough to die quickly in battle will either freeze or starve during winter. The last book will end with an army of wights and white walkers moving through the frozen wasteland that used to be Westeros. But, it's not all bad, at least all the Freys will be dead.

It would not surprise me at all if Dany and Stannis won the Iron Throne, only to be slaughtered during their coronation feast by some patsy put up to it by Littlefinger. He'll rule for about five minutes until the Red Priests kill him with shadow babies. Then the Others will kill them. Then the narrow sea will freeze over and they'll destroy the rest of the world. Valar Morghulis.

Would that really be a bad thing? If the Others are on your side no opposes you and therefore you can focus on actually ruling instead of just keeping the damn ugly chair. Its not having dragons is any different other than the fact they can't think. Oh, wait...

Stannis Baratheon has the better claim. He is king Roberts heir, and that's why the throne should go to him

Better claim? I think if the series has demonstrated anything it's that your "claim" doesn't matter. Stannis's claim comes from the fact that his brother was a usurper. Dany's father was a monster but that doesn't matter to anyone supporting her claim. Stannis has no heir (I'm not counting his daughter, Val's warning about her has me worried), Dany would be a good ruler, but she has no heir and even if she is able to have one (an uncertain prospect) it would be a Targaryen. There have only been three good Targaryen kings: Jaehaerys I, Daeron the Good, and Aegon the Unlikely (I don't count Baelor the Blessed, everything we learn about him makes him seem more like he was a foolish man with good PR). I don't see the realm being all that much better off with the Targaryen dynasty back in power. As for other claimants, I seriously doubt "Aegon" is actually Aegon but that doesn't matter. If the realm was willing to follow Joffrey, a monster they all pretty much knew was not Robert's son, and are currently fine with Tommen because it suits their political ends, then they will accept anyone provided they benefit from it.

No one "deserves" to rule Westeros. The Iron Throne goes to whoever can take it and hold it. With winter here, half the realm in ruins, and the Others on their way, I don't envy whoever does win. Provided there is a winner, which I don't think is guaranteed.

Archived