Who Deserves to Rule Westeros?

Harrad

The Princess and The Queen: Is not imposssible to kill a dragon using the enviroment (the dragon who fell in the ocean) or kill the rider. Hard but not impossible. And you remember the the fact they had no skinchanger, one could at least try to skinchange the rider (causing a fall) or the dragon itself, or an eagle to take the rider off.

You're probably right...dani and her dragons aren't going to do much in the next two books and her dragons are most likely just going to be used as fun pets.

You're probably right...dani and her dragons aren't going to do much in the next two books and her dragons are most likely just going to be used as fun pets.

I'm sorry, but that doesn't make sense. GRRM regrets for leaving Dany so long at Meereen, and now that Dany has mounted Drogon dragons are fun pets?

The action will start once she steps on Westeros. So, yes, way too many things are going to happen due to Dany and her dragons in the next 2 books.

I'm sorry, but that doesn't make sense. GRRM regrets for leaving Dany so long at Meereen, and now that Dany has mounted Drogon dragons are fun pets?

The action will start once she steps on Westeros. So, yes, way too many things are going to happen due to Dany and her dragons in the next 2 books.

I was being sarcastic.......................................................

Oh, I see. I wanted to be sarcastic too once and got a serious answer, so I'll just tell you what they told me to avoid further confusion:

Use the font for sarcasm next time :P

Ha...doesn't spelling it out kind of defeat the point of sarcasm?? It was originally meant for Lord Ravenstark though, but glad to get your input as well!

• 1 month later...

Personally, I favour Stannis. The Dragon's are done, Aerys sealed it (and, if it's true, Raegar and Lyanna for causing a massive misunderstanding with their immaturity). Stannis is Robert's heir and seems to have the realms best interests in mind, unlike Dany or Tommen (who's a nice kid, but too young) or Euron.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nobody, I think the days of kings is long gone and either the 7 kingdoms should be separated, as in each region having its own ruler or one or more person from each region sits on a council and decides what's good. the latter option would be the better one IMO so in case a nutcase tries taking over another region, everyone can quickly band together and crush him.

But if I have to pick then Stannis, except I'm not a fan of his devotion to the red god.

To people who say Dany: 1 as far as we know she's barren, thus can have no legitimate heirs which is another civil war waiting to happen after her death, and 2 remember that she's the mad king's daughter thus could well grow into a psycho just like her daddy

Nobody, I think the days of kings is long gone and either the 7 kingdoms should be separated, as in each region having its own ruler or one or more person from each region sits on a council and decides what's good. the latter option would be the better one IMO so in case a nutcase tries taking over another region, everyone can quickly band together and crush him.

But if I have to pick then Stannis, except I'm not a fan of his devotion to the red god.

To people who say Dany: 1 as far as we know she's barren, thus can have no legitimate heirs which is another civil war waiting to happen after her death, and 2 remember that she's the mad king's daughter thus could well grow into a psycho just like her daddy

I'm rooting for 7 separate kingdoms but without the Tyrells or Baelishs or Boltons ruling

Depends what you mean by "deserve"; birthright? Wisdom? Popularity? I don't think any one person could bring peace to Westeros by themselves; the greatest reigns would probably have a likeable King and a strong hand. So some likeable character with good claim + Tywin or Tyrion would have held the realm well.

As quoted by Cersei "Deserve? be careful with that." I always thought no to Stannis but I think he would make a fair ruler so long as people bent the knee.

Well, that's just it...a lot of people won't bend the knee to Stannis because nobody likes him. I mean, one of reasons Robert had a peaceful reign was that he could make friends out of his enemies. King Stannis would most likely piss off a lot of people for his reluctance to compromise. There would be rebellions everywhere.

Has Stannis even shown competency in ruling? We've seen that he's a good strategist when it comes to war, but the few instances where he's thrust into politics, he's hindred by his unwillingness to bend. He would probably have had the throne by now, had he just given up the North.

Plus, I never got the impression that he cares about the people or the realm, anymore than any of the other claimants (they're all self serving dicks tbh). He seems to be holding on out of a sense of duty and entitlement.

Looking at it from the point of view of the current residents of Westeros, Stannis is the ONLY one with a claim to the throne due to the laws of succession. Cersei's kids have no claim due to Robert not really being their father, but that is only a "rumor" to most people and would be hard to prove without a straight up confession from Jaime or Cersei.

Once you put Daenerys and young Aegon in the mix, things get fuzzy. But looking at it from the point of view of who is Robert's true successor, it can only be Stannis.

Looking at it from the point of view of the current residents of Westeros, Stannis is the ONLY one with a claim to the throne due to the laws of succession. Cersei's kids have no claim due to Robert not really being their father, but that is only a "rumor" to most people and would be hard to prove without a straight up confession from Jaime or Cersei.

Once you put Daenerys and young Aegon in the mix, things get fuzzy. But looking at it from the point of view of who is Robert's true successor, it can only be Stannis.

The only people I think "deserve" (tricky word) the throne are people I think have no chance to end up there: Davos and Jon. Davos can't do it because no one would accept him, but he'd make a great king. Jon might have a claim but I seriously doubt he'd exercise it even if he knew about it, which he doesn't. (I certainly don't think he'd start a civil war to try and take it, which is what would be required.)

In terms of who has a shot at it and might do a good job, it's a tossup between Stannis and Danaerys, for different reasons.

Stannis would be a mean and unpopular king, but he's competent and would buckle down and do the job. The big question with him is whether or not the religion issue would tear the Realm apart -- would he try to get Westeros to convert? I doubt Westeros would do that. And does he have the political skill and personal qualities to heal the Realm? A conciliator would seem to be called for, given all the treachery and blood that's been shed between the Great Houses, and Stannis is no conciliator.

Dany has the potential to be a popular ruler, but she's still pretty green, her forces are foreigners (no one likes an army of foreigners on their home soil; the Westerosi will never be happy with that), she might not be stable, and she might be barren. The foreign forces, the possibility of mental instability, and the possibility that she will have to adopt an heir not of her blood don't speak to long-term political stability.

(F)Aegon could have potential but he's really a huge mystery right now. (F)Aegon on the throne would likely mean that Varys is actually the one calling the shots -- but would that be a bad thing? I don't know. I don't actually know whether Varys is just amusing himself with these games, or is power/status hungry like Littlefinger, or if he has altruistic motives of actually serving the Realm and helping it recover from the chaos for the good of all. A lot would depend on the amount of influence Varys ends up holding over (F)Aegon and how he chooses to use it -- just a huge question mark.

If Cersei is permanently out of power then Tommen backed by Margery and Olenna might not be a terrible choice, actually; Tommen won't be ruling on his own for at least eight years, during which time the Tyrells would run the Realm. The Tyrells could probably manage it (Mace is a bit of a twit, but he's neither evil nor vicious), and if Cersei's influence were removed, the Tyrells might be able to mold Tommen into a good ruler. Of course it would be the Tyrells running things and not Tommen, but as with the (F)Aegon/Varys question, we have to ask: Would that necessarily be a bad thing? Tommen would be dogged by the rumors of his provenance (being a Lannister incest bastard instead of a Baratheon) but if the Realm is stabilized by the Tyrells and Tommen grows up okay, he can probably live those "rumors" down. He has the benefit of having been legitimately crowned already, meaning he doesn't need to start a war to get into power like most of the other candidates.

This last scenario isn't going to happen with Varys scuttling around, though, of course; Tommen's not long for this world in my opinion thanks to Varys' Royalist loyalties. But if he lived, he might not be such a bad option for Westeros, really.

It's late, I'm tired and probably should refrain from commenting, but the thread title makes my metaphorical tail twitch.

Deserve? What the... Is ruling a messed up kingdom full of messed up people suddenly a reward to compete for? Something about how 'you are the bestest/awesomest/rightest/coolest/sympatheticest; concrats, the prize is yours, Try not to mess up too badly, we still want to live here too.'

Ruling shouldn't be aboout who has gone through the most hardship, or who is the most sympathetic character or who has sacrificed the most to get where they are. It should be about who gets the job done.

It sure as hell shouldn't be about 'deserving' anything. Nor for those who THINK what they deserve for their efforts is a nice cushy uncomfortable chair in Red Keep to rule happily ever after from, Ruling is not right, it's duty. Towards y'know, the actual people, about what they deserve.

What with the rulers being there for the benefit of the people, not the other way around. But this is Westeros, and I probably sound hopelessly naive (and incoherent) so never mind. Carry on.

/rant

sorry. I really need some sleep. :/

Archived