Who Deserves to Rule Westeros?

Harrad

Who deserves to rule? The criterias commonly used (such as : rightful heir, best war strategist, most cunning, richest, most badass) do not matter. It all depends on two things: actions (what kind of person is he/she) and motivations (why does he/she want to rule?).

ACTIONS :

-Stannis : He went to the Wall to save the realm. But he murdered cowardly his brother with dark magic, tried to sacrifice his nephew to gain power, burned a lot of people... And he's clearly under the influence of a mad priestess.

-Euron : He's a rapist and a murderer. And maybe a kinslayer.

-Daenerys : She saved women from raping, freed slaves and tried to avoid butcheries. She's been through a lot of things and is quite a feminist icon. The dracarys scene was disturbing, though.

-Aegon : He didn't do a lot of things for the moment but he apparently was raised to be a good king. He seems to listen to people's advices.

MOTIVATIONS

Stannis, Daenerys and Aegon believe they're the rightful ruler. Euron's motivations are power, money and women?

----

So, I would choose Daenerys or Aegon. But none of both have sufficient motivations...

If Jon Snow ever becomes a contender, I will support him because :

-ACTIONS : His whole path shows he's a good ruler. He cares for the people, the weak (Sam), even the wildlings. He tries to have peace. He secures the realm even when his own men doubts of him (or conspire against him), or when the wildlings, the nobles and the kings despise him. He even risks his own life many times.

-MOTIVATIONS : He has not motivation at all, and he may be the only one. He doesn't want power (he refused to be Lord of Winterfell as he had no motivation to claim the seat of Lord Commander). All he does is for duty.

His parentage coming so late in the book is the perfect timing : he didn't grow up believing he was the "rightful" ruler, he grew as a bastard despised by all and learned to be a good ruler. When he'll learn he's the son of Rheagar, he won't say "Ok, now I want the throne because it is MINE. I will burn/drown everyone who says otherwise." He will probably refuse it, and take it by duty because the realm is in great peril.

That's what makes me believe Jon Snow deserves to rule Westeros.

Who has a realistic chance... only two people Dany or Jon.

My predictions...

The Lannisters become an extinct family. Jamie is killed by Cersei. Cersei dies by the hand of Tyrion. Tyrion dies by the hand of evil Sansa.

The Barratheons become extinct. Stannis's unwavering devotion to the Red God will be his undoing. After seeing the power of the dragons, Davos pledges his allegiance to Dany.

Dany has a barren womb so I don't think she wins the Game of Thrones. I think she leads the dragons to the North to kill off the Others. She dies in the arms of Jon Snow who she made an alliance with to fight off the Others.

Jon snow discovers his true origins probably from one of the old knights who served the Mad King. After he and Dany kill off the Others in the North, he marches onto King's Landing to claim the Iron Throne with his brothers Bran and Rickon who secure the North... only to be challenged by two people, Evil Sansa and Littlefinger. After years of heartache and Littlefinger's advances, Sansa becomes embittered and despises the Bastard for taking the Throne. Jon Snow is torn between the little sister he once knew and having to rule the Seven Kingdoms. Fortunately, a Bravosi Assassin kills evil Sansa, hugs her big bastard brother and disappears into the darkness as Snow sits on the Iron Throne once and for all.

• 2 weeks later...

The Kingdoms should have overthrown the Targs when the last fire breathing dragon died. The seperate Kingdoms reclaim their own. With that said, The hero or heroine that defeats the others and the white walker armies should be ruler over who was saved if the saved want it so. That is my answer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think the only really true example we've seen of what a King should be from all the throne contenders has been Mance Rayder, and who's the only person who's had a chance to take away any lessons from him? Jon. Except Jon currently has no claim to the throne. If R+L=J then he has a very legitimate claim to the throne but he'd have to find a respectable way to break his vows to the Nights Watch, also. Crows serve till their death and well...

The only other real solid candidates I see are Sansa and Myrcella. Sansa married a Lannister, will inherit the Stark lands, and has a claim to Riverrun and the Vale. That's 4/7 major houses that she can grow up to basically own by herself and amounts to about 75% of the land of the kingdom, and can still marry into the others. If she wises up from Little Finger's tutelage she may someday end up formidable. Myrcella has been an interesting surprise because she shows that she's smarter than the Trystane Martell, the prince of Dorne. She also shows to be brave, compassionate, and adept at making her own decisions as a leader. Even though her claim to the throne is illegitimate she is the oldest "Baratheon" and by Dornish law the rightful heir to the throne. Dorne would back her, and if something happens to Tommen then Lannister and Baratheon would also back her.

All the rest I see rushing into early graves:

~Stannis is too rigid and unyielding, except to his own cause. He makes moral compromises only for himself. Davos has been the only thing keeping him afloat. Davos point out how to act like a king and support The Wall (and find his army there). Davos kept him from sacrificing children to the Red God. Davos pointed out the necessity of the Iron Bank. I also think GRRM has a tendency to punish people for using dark magic like Melisandre (shadows that kill, using blood to kill kings). Stannis is also a kinslayer as it was his shadow that killed Renly. Bad things tend to happen to people who kill their own family or break the Guest Right. Also, Melisandre points out that Stannis is basically used up and she needs a new fire or something like that.

~Daenarys actually is the opposite of Stannis. Too much compassion and no respect for established laws. How has she won her three cities? She deceived the trainers of the unsullied and had them killed. She deceived the Seconds Sons and said "make your decision by tomorrow", gave them wine and got them drunk, then attacked them early. And she made her most trusted knight and her best friend crawl through the sewers to open the gates of Meereen. She had good reasons every time, but it was deceitful and dishonest trickery. The Frey's had good reasons for killing King Robb too, but how they did it was dishonest and deceitful. Daenarys also has the whole "mother" thing going and can't make the decision to leave behind her children for her own cause. Its good and bad because its a hindrance. It makes me think she's the type of person that can't cut off a toe to save the leg.

~Aegean/fAegean is kind of a fool hardy boy. He's trying to prove a point running battle to battle in hopes of raising an army and getting land so Daenarys will respect him. I don't see that working out for him. Right now he has the element of surprise but soon his enemies will form up against him.

~Tommen. Lol... Tommen. He might not die but someone is gonna push him aside and make him cry.

After all that, I want to remind people that of two more things. First, Targaryens became rulers by conquest. When Robert Barathean became ruler by conquest it ended any claims Targaryens had to the throne so there isn't much legitimacy to "It's Daenary's,/Aegean's/Jon's by birthright." Stannis has the best legitimate claim there and Tommen the best realistic claim since no one believe Stannis.

Second is what Varys said; ' Power resides only where men believe it resides' so no claim is better than any other. The claimer just has to make others believe his claim is the best.

It's pretty obvious to me the only one who can rule Westeros is the one who Mastered the art of "surviving" ( which is a miracle as he is still alive so far ) and one of the hardest skill to have in Westeros, the art of cooking Kidney pie, so definitely the one and only Hot pie!

• 2 weeks later...

Jon Snow as King with Dany as his queen.

In my dream world story-line, Rickon will be Warden of the North and Lord of Winterfell, with Tyrion ending up as Lord of CR, Warden of the East. As a bone to the little guy, Sansa would go back to him and they would live happily ever after... :)

I don't much care for Stannis. . .

From all of them...only Stannis actually did something for the realm.By him going to the wall he protected the whole realm. He knows where the real war is. He is a just man...but I have a feeling he will die.

I like Dany..but she didn't do anything for the realm(so far). She has proved she can conquer and liberate slaves.

Each of the kings/queens thinks that they have the most rights to lead.

Like many others said, I think that the realm will be divided between a number of leaders (queens and kings) and maybe there will be a peace treaty between all of them to protect and not fight each other.

Ruling by birthright or conquest doesn't seem like a very good idea. They should let people choose. The irony is that the 'savage' wildings are more advanced when it comes to choosing their king. They are closer to democracy.

From all of them...only Stannis actually did something for the realm.

Jon did a hundred things more than Stannis. And he did it for duty, not because a fanatic woman saw something in the fire and believes he is some mythical savior.

Archived