Who Deserves to Rule Westeros?

Harrad

Of the current declared and surviving contenders (I won't say pretenders) I'd have to say Stannis on balance. In a 'peace time' Westeros (without the threat of the Others), Renly may well have made a better King. But winter has come and if the realm is to survive the ravages of the Others, Euron, Dany, etc they need the Mannis!

If you were looking at the still living (as of end of ADWD) highborn characters and saying who might make the best all-round ruler, my vote would be Garlan Tyrell.

Of the current declared and surviving contenders (I won't say pretenders) I'd have to say Stannis on balance. In a 'peace time' Westeros (without the threat of the Others), Renly may well have made a better King. But winter has come and if the realm is to survive the ravages of the Others, Euron, Dany, etc they need the Mannis!

If you were looking at the still living (as of end of ADWD) highborn characters and saying who might make the best all-round ruler, my vote would be Garlan Tyrell.

No Renly would of been a horrible king. Renly was an idiotic useless guy. To be king you have to be responsible and make sure the realm is run properly and be serious. Renly is like Robert, all fun and games but not serious enough regarding ruling. Stannis would be much better king then Renly whether in war time or peace time.

And I don't know why you would choose Garlan. He is a good man and would be a good ruler but I would rather put Willas over him as he seems smarter and more experienced then Garlan. Personally I think Jon would be a very good ruler though he needs little bit more experience.

• 2 weeks later...

No Renly would of been a horrible king. Renly was an idiotic useless guy. To be king you have to be responsible and make sure the realm is run properly and be serious. Renly is like Robert, all fun and games but not serious enough regarding ruling. Stannis would be much better king then Renly whether in war time or peace time.

And I don't know why you would choose Garlan. He is a good man and would be a good ruler but I would rather put Willas over him as he seems smarter and more experienced then Garlan. Personally I think Jon would be a very good ruler though he needs little bit more experience.

I'd choose Garlan over Willas because to me he shows signs of having a keen mind (like Willas), a good disposition/ emotional intelligence (also allegedly like Willas) but just as importantly he is an experienced leader of men on the battlefield who seems clued up as to the realities of warfare. I see him as a the best all-rounder of the still-living highborn lords.

Sadly, I suspect he will be killed through trickery on the part of Euron Greyjoy as the Ironborn incursion gathers pace in WoW.

So many people saying Stannis has the best claim. Assuming Aegon is indeed Aegon, which I think to be true...he clearly has the best claim.

It really depends whether the reader and indeed the highborn interpret King Robert, the first of his name, of the house of Baratheon as having sat the Iron Throne by virtue of legitimate conquest after the Mad King invalidated his own line's right to rule through his atrocities, or if Robert's claim was by virtue of being the best still living claimant with Targaryen lineage in his bloodline.

I think the Faith and the Maesters justified their acceptance of his ascension by virtue of the latter, but in reality Robert's authority was rooted in the fact that he'd won his crown by crushing the armies of a King who promised the realm only fire and blood.

I don't really think anyone deserves to rule Westeros. I'm more of a "right by conquest" believer in the sense that whoever can physically take the throne and keep the realm's best interests at heart (relatively speaking) should sit their arse in Kings Landing. Does that mean that person is best for rule, no, but deserving, sure.

So in accordance with that train of thought, I'm going w/ Dany. She has the physical presence to take the throne and seems like she has the ability to look out for the good of the seven kingdoms.

I'd choose Garlan over Willas because to me he shows signs of having a keen mind (like Willas), a good disposition/ emotional intelligence (also allegedly like Willas) but just as importantly he is an experienced leader of men on the battlefield who seems clued up as to the realities of warfare. I see him as a the best all-rounder of the still-living highborn lords.

Sadly, I suspect he will be killed through trickery on the part of Euron Greyjoy as the Ironborn incursion gathers pace in WoW.

I guess in terms of that it makes sense. But for some reason to me it seems Willas is smarter and more even keeled plus he seems to have better experience in terms of ruling because since he is the heir, he was probably more groomed to rule and also it was stated he is more of an avid reader. To me he seems to be more of a thinker. But either one would be a good ruler.

Here are my contenders:

Stannis

He naturally has the best claim, being the eldest after Robert. But he isn't exactly the most loved and besides, he might possibly be dead judging by Ramsay's letter to Jon.

Tommen

If he was Robert's legitimate child then he would have the best claim to the throne hands down... but since he isn't, and Robert has no legitimate children, the throne naturally passes to Robert's kin. But since Renly is dead and Stannis is supposedly dead... who can legitimately inherit the throne? Robert's bastards? Which would, absurdly enough, make Gendry the next King (assuming he's the oldest bastard) but that's too absurd to consider

Dany

Her claim is good as she is a Targaryen, but in my eyes Robert legitimately took the throne from Aerys and became lawful King. Therefore the only way she could reclaim the throne is by conquest.

However there is Aegon to consider, and him being Rhaegar's son, he has a better claim to the throne than Dany.

Jon

Personally I say make him King and screw everyone else... haha. Keeping aside the complications of the NW and if I fall into the whole R + L = J theory and the fact that Robb may have legitimised Jon as his heir as King in the North, Jon is perfect to reunite both North and South. Not to mention that if he was a Targaryen, through Dany he may have plenty of support from the lands to the east too. So basically he'd be King of everything and reunite all existing lands together and bring peace to the world.. not to mention the whole him being a song of ice and fire (R = fire, L = ice) and being the promised prince and Azor Ahai reborn.. perfect, right? A bit TOO perfect IMO so it's probably not gonna happen.

Realistically, I'd like a Targaryen on the throne.

Jon my just be the Song of Ice and Fire and the rightful heir. It reality if R&L = J than Danerys would be behind him and Aegon. And

Here are my contenders:

Stannis

He naturally has the best claim, being the eldest after Robert. But he isn't exactly the most loved and besides, he might possibly be dead judging by Ramsay's letter to Jon.

Tommen

If he was Robert's legitimate child then he would have the best claim to the throne hands down... but since he isn't, and Robert has no legitimate children, the throne naturally passes to Robert's kin. But since Renly is dead and Stannis is supposedly dead... who can legitimately inherit the throne? Robert's bastards? Which would, absurdly enough, make Gendry the next King (assuming he's the oldest bastard) but that's too absurd to consider

Dany

Her claim is good as she is a Targaryen, but in my eyes Robert legitimately took the throne from Aerys and became lawful King. Therefore the only way she could reclaim the throne is by conquest.

However there is Aegon to consider, and him being Rhaegar's son, he has a better claim to the throne than Dany.

Jon

Personally I say make him King and screw everyone else... haha. Keeping aside the complications of the NW and if I fall into the whole R + L = J theory and the fact that Robb may have legitimised Jon as his heir as King in the North, Jon is perfect to reunite both North and South. Not to mention that if he was a Targaryen, through Dany he may have plenty of support from the lands to the east too. So basically he'd be King of everything and reunite all existing lands together and bring peace to the world.. not to mention the whole him being a song of ice and fire (R = fire, L = ice) and being the promised prince and Azor Ahai reborn.. perfect, right? A bit TOO perfect IMO so it's probably not gonna happen.

Realistically, I'd like a Targaryen on the throne.

You are right on with you assement - if Jon is half Targ then that would put Dany 3rd in line.

Jaime Lannister. turns out hes actually Azor Ahai............... who knew.............mock me now but youll eat your words i mean its not impossible he was born of castelery rock beside the sea (salt and smoke) . stone dragons could be metaphorical and well oathkepper. any way hes the kings uncle and father really it could happen. also i think Victarion Greyjoy will sit the iron throne but will be defeated

Wait I'm confused how is he Azor Ahai?

Archived