Unreliable Narrators.

SeanF

I always think of these three, but there is much more. Even only 3 are so different and are good examples.

Sansa - a primary source - She literally was the only other person in the room with Sandor, we are privy to the scene and she thinks he kissed her but he didn't.

Selmy - a secondary source - He was out of the loop with Ashara watching from far away at Harrenhal, and was not even there with some of the things he says about her later. If she was involved with a Stark male, he only heard, he didn't see them in intimate moments/discussion. He didn't see her have the baby, nor see the child, nor her jumping. Sounds like stuff he pieced together that was overheard, told to him, by most likely several parties.

Brienne - observing a lame novice grave-digging at the QI. I think it is Sandor. These are her observations without knowing who it is and what happened to them. How the hell could she piece together it was the Hound who got injured while drunk in a tavern fight, was healing from EB, and maybe was sore? exercising the leg/getting his strength back? Possibilities. Or he could have permanent damage, but I doubt that. When she says lame and sees the backbreaking work the novice is doing, she sort of writes him off like he has always been that way or has been for a long time, but is still doing hard labor.

All different types of unreliable narrating.

Archived