Daenerys will destroy Westeros... my fan theory as to the series resolution

Athenais

Especially since ADWD I've definitely become more and more keen on the belief that Dany will end up being an antagonist - in addition to all the torture and other wonderful things like that she ordered in Meereen, when/if she gets to Westeros her first priority will undoubtedly be to wipe out the "Usupers Dogs" who she refuses to believe are anything better than Satan incarnate. While this means she could wipe out the (arguably) antagonistic House Lannister, she would be no more merciful to our beloved House Stark, and anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. Of course, she will face off against Aegon in the next Dance of Dragons first, and honestly I have a feeling Aegon might actually be the real thing, but of course, Dany won't want to hear that. She'll kill her own nephew without even realizing it. Or of course he could just be a Blackfyre, but either way, there's no way Dany won't come out on top of the Dance of Dragons, and will likely devastate the South ala The Field of Fire along the way.

But of course, as of others have mentioned...she will have the Rightful King of Westeros to contend with when she moves North, backed by House Stark and the might of The North (for those of you Northern Conspiracy people, a Patchface line basically foretold Stannis will use Manderlys fleet at some point later in the books, and Patchface predicted the fuckin Red Wedding so I'm inclined to believe anything that comes out of his mouth), and probably House Tully and Arryn as well...I mean The Knights of the Vale have to have been preserved so long for a reason.

I don't think the Vale will declare for Stannis. LF rules the Vale and he'll loose all influence and power under Stannis. If, and it's a big if, Sansa takes over the Vale, LF can still predispose her against Stannis by reminding her how Stannis failed to go to King's Landing despite her father's continuous calls. It would pretty much be "where was Stannis when the Lannisters wanted your father dead and he called for aid to Dragonstone?". It's not much of a lie either. OTOH, IMHO Stannis sees Sansa as a contender, since she has the rights over Winterfell and the North and he feels she can sway the Lords of the North from him. Thus, why he tries to discredit her as 'Lady Lannister'.

In paper, Sansa is the one who can unite the North, the Riverlands and the Vale, but I don't see it happening, at least, not easily. And I don't think the Northerners will follow Stannis beyond the Twins.

The weaker party, whichever it is, in the southern front of the Civil War is the one which wins the most by allying with Danny and her dragons, but this is Westeros. The Lords prefer to screw things up instead of resolving them.

what isn't in the text? That she "sees" Quaithe? That she is pyromaniac? Or that she is psychotic with all those prophecies? That she closes her eyes and ears to the truth and refuse to listen and learn?

She's mad because Quaithe magically infiltrates her dreams? I guess Bran is mad.

She's mad because of her association with fire? I guess all Targs are mad.

She's mad because she pays attention to prophecies? I guess Mel, Rhaegar, and Aemon are mad.

She's mad because the nature of her upbringing and the tutelage of Viserys have left an impression on her? She'd be more mad if they hadn't.

She's mad because she often keeps her own counsel? I guess Jon Snow is mad.

Fact is, madness doesn't mean what you're saying it means. Arrogance isn't madness. Making emotional decisions sometimes isn't madness. Having fire-breathing dragons isn't madness. Madness is when a mind is unhinged to the point of being incapable of rational thought. Saying this applies to Dany is just fiction. You may not like how she chooses to behave or the decisions she makes, but that does not mean she's mad. There are plenty of things about Dany to criticize without making things up.

Clearly you guys didnt actually get what I am saying. I think she will knock the wall down, to unite everybody against them and shake things up. I think she will realize that Westeros is beyond fixing, it needs to be rebuilt and I think thats how she will do it.

I dont think she is going to "go crazy" and "kill everybody".

I think what you're missing here (and what other posters are perhaps picking up on) is that doing everything in her power to actively let the Others in . . . as a continent-wide team-building exercise? . . . would essentially be Dany "going crazy" and "killing everybody". Because there's a pretty huge step between "Let the Others in" and "Rebuild Westeros" that you're ignoring---namely, "Actually defeating the now-invading Others". Varys and Illyrio seemed to believe (rightly or wrongly) that their preferred candidate, Aegon, would absolutely be able to swoop in and destroy an invading Dothraki horde, and given the weaknesses inherent in the Dothraki's particular martial capabilities (something other threads have discussed), their plan to have the Dothraki invade to have Westeros eventually unite behind Aegon wasn't necessarily objectively idiotic. But the Dothraki are just humans---they're not some ancient magical ice monsters with the ability to reanimate the dead. While the Dothraki culture, leadership structure, and war capabilities are known, the same cannot be said of the Others. The Dothraki weaknesses are known, while the Others' weaknesses can only be guessed at. Dany would have zero reasons to believe that destroying the Wall in order to allow the Others to more easily invade would invariably lead to anything but the complete destruction of everybody in Westeros (herself included).

I mean, yes, Dany's lack of foresight is legendary. But you'd think even she wouldn't be stupid enough to think that going out of her way to actively let the fairy-tale monsters (that humans don't truly know how to defeat) invade would somehow lead to Westeros being rebuilt as anything but the Others' brand-new home. (I mean, unless you're speculating that she's going to completely lose her frickin mind and let the Others in under the belief that she'll invariably defeat them because A Prophecy Has Foretold It and This Is Her Destiny, in which case, yes, I'd agree that the possibility of her doing something so incredibly ill-thought-out would definitely increase.)

I am totally team Dany. Maybe I just hate everybody else so much that this is my dream ending (them all dying).

Otherwise I just love to hate characters (Lannisters hollah). If anybody in the entire series was in charge of where I lived I would move to Essos in a second. I would happily eat fetal puppies and honeyed locusts for the rest of my life rather than have to deal with a King Stannis Baratheon

Yes, I believe I understand. Nothing bad will ever happen to Stannis again, ever.

That's not what I'm saying. I don't even think Stannis will ever sit the Iron Throne tbh, as much as I'd love to be wrong about that. But he will not be challenged in The North (after eliminating Bolton especially) or The Riverlands. I was probably being a bit overly optomistic about The Vale to be fair, as other posters have pointed out the presence of Littlefinger, who would definitely never support Stannis, makes them a bit of a wildcard. However, I'm firmly of the belief that Littlefinger has one major blind spot in his otherwise very shrewd political mind, that being Sansa, and that could be his undoing. And if Stannis restores Winterfell to House Stark and Sansa has become Lady of the Vale...maybe we'll finally see the Knights of the Vale in anger, under the banner of the flaming stag. Of course, all of this is speculative, but it's certainly not impossible or even implausible.

I myself think that she may becoming more and more like her father, and less like her brother Rheagar.

More and more like her brother Viserys though...pretty soon she will have referred to herself as "The Dragon" at least twice as many times as he did in Book 1.

Firstly, I don't think it's a proven fact that Dany is barren. She BELIEVES she's barren, but that's not the same as it actually being true. If we should've learned anything from the first five books, it's that our assumptions often prove to be wrong.

I do agree with you on one point. We musn't forget that Dany is not a fully mature person at this point in her life. She's a 16 year old girl with a very warped view of what Westeros actually is. She might even believe (niavely) that she'll find tons of friends in Westeros who will view her as a liberator, instead of as the foreigner she actually is with a slave army (the Unsullied) who's come to destroy their livelihood.

She might even believe (niavely) that she'll find tons of friends in Westeros who will view her as a liberator, instead of as the foreigner she actually is with a slave army (the Unsullied) who's come to destroy their livelihood.

Dany's been given lots of moments where she has to choose between naivetay and practicality. So far she's chosen to live in the real world and compromise where she has to in the interest of making the best of things. She'd have died a long time ago if she wasn't adaptable.

So here is my little fan theory about where I think the story is going.

Firstly, I think a lot of people are invested in the idea of Daenerys and John Snow somehow teaming up and eradicating the others. I think that may have been GRRMs original plan, but I will be shocked if he ends up sticking to it.

I quit reading after this, and began insulting the OP in my head.

I quit reading after this, and began insulting the OP in my head.

Considering GRRM originally imagined the series as a trilogy (instead of a heptalogy), I think quite a few characters have deviated from his original plans for them. Maybe not in drastic ways, but I genuinely believe that he's still mulling how and when and why to kill off some characters.

Then again, I don't think any of us really know what goes on in George's head anymore.

Considering GRRM originally imagined the series as a trilogy (instead of a heptalogy), I think quite a few characters have deviated from his original plans for them. Maybe not in drastic ways, but I genuinely believe that he's still mulling how and when and why to kill off some characters.

Then again, I don't think any of us really know what goes on in George's head anymore.

he has told the shows producers how the series will end for the major characters.

Expanding, or altering the journey along the way is a hell of a lot different than changing the ending; i.e., series resolution.

So here is my little fan theory about where I think the story is going.

Firstly, I think a lot of people are invested in the idea of Daenerys and John Snow somehow teaming up and eradicating the others. I think that may have been GRRMs original plan, but I will be shocked if he ends up sticking to it. I think his story has gotten a bit out of his control, and his original plans have clearly been shifted more than once. The trajectory I think that Daenerys' story in particular is on, is not one of saving Westeros, but one of intentionally decimating it.

I believe that we know enough about Dany to predict her future behaviour, especially in the context of what her reaction to Westeros will be. I imagine that she will arrive, and pull a Meereen on the place (conquer it fairly easily, get herself on the iron throne, and than hate it so hard). We know how she feels about slavery, and I think she has internalized a romantic notion that everybody in Westeros is free (something that the novels have gone out of their way to illustrate is not actually the case). She will be furious when she sees how the small folk are essentially slaves, moreso because she is currently operating under the assumption that her future kingdom is some kind anti-slavery paradise.

We also know she has little patient for the squabbling of noble families, and she will have absolutely no investment in any of the noble houses of Westeros. The only feelings she can reasonably have for any of them are towards the houses who rebelled against her family (so not nice feelings). With the possible exception of the Martells, she is unlikely to care any more about what the nobility wants in Westeros than she was invested in the wants of the nobility of Meereen.

Furthermore, she gave an inch to the Meereenese nobles, and look where it got her. I think if anything, her experience in Essos has made her even less likely to have any patience for the Westerosi ruling elite.

We also know that Dany has no end game. She knows she is barren, and so her motivation for retaking the Iron Throne is bereft of any notion of building a family legacy. With the Joan of Arc complex which is only escalating at this point, she is becoming less like Aegon the Conquorer and more like Melisandre, she does not wish to build an empire as much as she wants to scourge the world of what she perceives as evil.

And make no mistake, she is going to think Westeros is full of evil. Providing she ever makes it across the narrow sea, she is not going to like what she finds in the home she has a “right to”.

So I think she is going to try and kill everybody. She is going to get fed up, and than it will become beyond questioning that The Others have returned, and are massing an army just north of the wall. Everybody will panic and look to her and her dragons, and say “help us! What are we going to do?”, and than Dany will say “I know what needs to be done”.

And than she will ride her dragons north, and blast down the wall. And the Others will kill pretty much everybody.

Alternately, she will try to do this and either be convinced not to or stopped somehow (I think depending on how things go with the Stark children, they may be the ones who somehow stop her) but I am fairly certain that at some point near the end, the greatest peril Westeros will face will be one angry, world weary and zealous 16 year old Targaryen.

Thoughts?

Danny killing thousands of innocent people?

No, no and no. She might kill the noble lords who revolted against the throne. But maybe she will definitely leave the small folk alone. She is the mother, after all. She refuses to let a single slave die in her own city. What makes you think she will let her "own people" in Westeros die at the hands of The Others?

There is even a chance that Danny might forgive the noble lords when she learns of Mad King Aerys. That's one reason why Ser Barristan is where he is. To tell Danny the truth.

Dany already committed her "sin" and that was bringing dragons back into the world. Either she will become an antagonist by making use of her dragons to achieve what she defines as "good" or she will prove to be the hero by fighting against her "children". I hope for the former, but predict the latter.

Never understood how it is so accepted that the Others are evil, but the dragons are not.

I don't agree with everything in this scenario, but I do think she'll end up mad and an antagonist.

I think it is possible Tyrion will play up some of the revenge on the Usurpers Dogs in order to get his own revenge and what he thinks he deserves. I believe he will get that revenge, but realize Dany is a serious danger to the realm after.

I can also see Dany going nuts if one of her dragons leaves her. "Dragons are not slaves", but if one goes to someone because of the horn or chooses a new master of its own accord I don't think she will take that well. Drogon is hers, but I can see Viserion flying off to Jon or Rhaegal to Aegon or Victarion. Dance With Dragons there...

I have noticed a large proportion of Stan fans spend much of the night Praying and Flagellating themselves in hopes that the Mannis, the god of all the Stannises (Stanni?) across all the dimensions in existence will favor them by making sure Dany stays in Mereen so she may never ROLF-stomp Stannis when she arrives in Westeros.

Archived