[Book Spoilers] Mormont

I think the creators of the show did a real good job on the mutiny at Craster's keep and I think the way Jeor Mormont died was in a heroic fashion but I remember from reading the books that just before he died he asked Samwell to send word to his son Jorah. I was looking forward to this last request as he was dying to make his death even more dramatic, but they didnt show it.

Any thoughts on this?

I think the creators of the show did a real good job on the mutiny at Craster's keep and I think the way Jeor Mormont died was in a heroic fashion but I remember from reading the books that just before he died he asked Samwell to send word to his son Jorah. I was looking forward to this last request as he was dying to make his death even more dramatic, but they didnt show it.

Any thoughts on this?

Its cut down from the narration in the book , but to be expected. Too little time, too much story for a teleplay.

But... sure looks like it could have been squeezed in with a little thought to how the action was blocked out.

D and D move in mysterious ways at times, sometime they even trump George sometime not.

I thought the scene was adequate. Mormont being awesome was too far split up in contrast to his death. As in he was really likable in Season 1 with Jon and then we get his death after doing not much besides leading his men to a bloodbath and then quickly retreating. So there wasn't a sense that he was really a great guy before he died. I did, however, like how he casually turns to Rast and completely owns him before dying, but I don't think it was as emotional as it could've been, not due to the this one scene, but due to his overall portrayal until that moment.

That being said the dying words would have been beyond ridiculous on TV. It was always sort of ridiculous in the books since that whole event is supposed to be chaotic and there's no way Sam should've been able to survive it.

I thought that maybe the relationship between members of the Mormont family would be dealt with in the series only if future events in WoW & DoS made it entirely necessary, sort of like the Reeds being left out until series 3...

This seems to be happening a lot, and out of the necessity of streamlining the TV narrative...

What I figure will happen is Rast will go after Sam, gloat about how Jeor was raving about his son (typical villain monologue before killing stroke) or something, then be killed. He will then take on the role of Small Paul (turn into a wight, getting Sam the Slayer name he hates so much and teaching us about the dragonglass).

Or, more likely, Dolorous or someone will kill Rast. Then as Jeor is dying he gives one of them the request instead. Rast comes looking for Sam when he comes back as a wight, Sam finds out about dragonglass.

I loved the scene. Mormont showed the real authority and that he deserved to be chosed LC in the last few episodes. I did not miss any words during his death scene. The Mormont family has not even been dealt with by the show much (I am not even sure it was told that Jeor is Jorah's father), so it would come out of the blue.

I thought it was a really good scene because it was realistic. In real life, especially with criminals, shit can go down real fast and there's really nothing you can do about it except fight, run away or die. The foreshadowing came mainly from knowing what the Night's Watch had been through rather than specific scenes - and it meant the audience would have been as surprised as Mormont was.

In the context of the realism, I don't think Mormont's last words would have worked. Would most likely have come across as cheesy and contrived.

Show jorah is portrayed as this nice, handsome adviser dude instead of the self centred ex slaver we all know and love from the books. Given that portrayal, tv viewers wouldn't understand the last words. Would they even realize the old bear is the bear knight's father?

Show jorah is portrayed as this nice, handsome adviser dude instead of the self centred ex slaver we all know and love from the books. Given that portrayal, tv viewers wouldn't understand the last words. Would they even realize the old bear is the bear knight's father?

Well we should remember that Westeros is a medieval world and House Mormount is not a rich house.

Men have done far worse deeds (Gregor Clegane) than Jorah and not been exiled.

I loved the scene. Mormont showed the real authority and that he deserved to be chosed LC in the last few episodes. I did not miss any words during his death scene. The Mormont family has not even been dealt with by the show much (I am not even sure it was told that Jeor is Jorah's father), so it would come out of the blue.

You guys do realize Jeor explicitly said Jorah was his son when he gave Jon Longclaw, right?

He's hardly a slaver. Calling Jorah a slaver would be like calling someone who once played poker a gambler.

You guys do realize Jeor explicitly said Jorah was his son when he gave Jon Longclaw, right?

He did? :dunno: I must have forgotten that. And it is entirely possible that many non-readers did too, since it is not like it was that important after two seasons.

He did? :dunno: I must have forgotten that. And it is entirely possible that many non-readers did too, since it is not like it was that important after two seasons.

Why else would he give Jon an ancient family sword that ordinarily would belong to his son. He explains it then. I'm fine with people not knowing details if they forget or don't pay attention. That means the series is more rewarding if you're an avid fan. It's not like Jorah/Jeor is all that important.

If they like Jorah, they probably remember. Honestly I'm of the opinion that they didn't have him tell Sam because Sam won't tell Jorah in the books.

I am of the opinion that the series do not tell anything about the future books. ;)

Why else would he give Jon an ancient family sword that ordinarily would belong to his son. He explains it then. I'm fine with people not knowing details if they forget or don't pay attention. That means the series is more rewarding if you're an avid fan. It's not like Jorah/Jeor is all that important.

I agree, it is not that important for the show now, and it is not very likely it will be in the future either. :)

Yeah, that's possible. I didn't read the books until they were all out and the second season was done (couple months ago actually), so I can't say. But since the writers know some things about where characters are headed just in case GRRM doesn't finish, I think there are some things that they decide based on that knowledge.

Archived