Why did Lord Mormont take the black?

efrashhi

I've always wondered how Mormont ended up in the Night's Watch. I've read the books a few times and it never seems to give a good reason why or when he arrived at the wall? There is the passage where Jon Snow is talking to the Shadow Tower commander that says when he became lord commander. I've just always wondered why.

I realize that it'll be mostly wild speculation but f you have a theory good or otherwise...lets hear it!

I'd imagine it's as MoscQuetier says.

His heir has grown up and married, perhaps his wife has passed away, and parts of the North still see the honour in the Nights Watch.

He'd be going in at quite a high level as an older Lord, wouldn't have to endure any of the Green Boy training that's for sure.

For Benjen too, Brandon was first in line to Winterfell, and with no knights technically in the North, and the realm at peace, maybe he fancied the excitement of ranging beyond the Wall, a position his family holds honourable. Or perhaps there is a deeper reason, something to do with needing Stark blood on the Wall...

Either way, I don't think either man was forced to join the Wall.

Why not?

Jeor's widowed, with a grown and married heir. The North views the Night's Watch as a honorable organization. Jorah had his sister Maege to help him rule, and the realm was at peace.... There's no reason not to.

At this point, he might have seen that the Watch was in disarray and thought they needed his leadership skills and charisma and joined out of duty. Or he might have just yearned for battle and adventure, something Bear Island wasn't gonna give him.Ned Stark had a Greyjoy hostage, so Ironborn raids on Bear Island were extremely unlikely at least for a decade. Maybe he'd dreamed to join the Night's Watch as a child and didn't see any reason to postpone it anymore with his line safe.

I always thought that Jeor, along with Benjen and Aemon, were among the few of the Watch who joined purely out of a sense of duty. The BW has apparently been going down hill fast for the last century or so, because it's perceived everywhere but in the north as being a penal colony set up on the pretense of protecting the realm from 'grumkins and snarks.' Obviously there are some characters who don't feel that way.

My opinion is he joined the Watch for peace and quiet. There was way too many females living in their ancestral log cabin. By my counts, 6 females were there and 3 may have pregnant about the time he joined- Maege with her 5th child, Alysane with her 1st and Jorah's first wife had 3 pregnancies.

That's way too much estrogen under one roof :eek: . I'd be frazzled living there too and I'm a female.

My opinion is he joined the Watch for peace and quiet. There was way too many females living in their ancestral log cabin. By my counts, 6 females were there and 3 may have pregnant about the time he joined- Maege with her 5th child, Alysane with her 1st and Jorah's first wife had 3 pregnancies.

That's way too much estrogen under one roof :eek: . I'd be frazzled living there too and I'm a female.

And the best answer goes to..... Lady of Long Lake, take a bow

I 100% agree with this I used to live with 2 sisters (one of which was pregnant) and my mother and unfortunately for me their cycles synced (not including the pregnant one when she was preggers)

Archived