how many "OGs" on the forum?

gash

I started last year after watching the first season and the first epi of the second season. I already had the first book but just couldn't get into the mood to read them until suspense got the better of me. I especially wanted to know why the hero died.

I think of Ned as the patriarch rather than the hero and the first book of the series as one long prologue.

As for me, I started the series in early 2000 after it was suggested to me by a friend and my husband. Read the first two books and then had to wait for Storm to come out.

I was part of the avalanche of readers who came to the books after watching season one of GOT. I hadn't read a fantasy novel in at least 25 years before that.

damn. Im more interested in how many people we have here who are 35+

I stumbled upon the show when HBO was running a marathon before the end of season 2. I immediateley ordered the first four books and Dance from amazon and whle wating I watched season 1 & 2 on HBO on Demand. It was like beng dumped into the middle of a whirlpool with all the charaters and locations. When the books came i read them at a very fast pace and spent a lot of time saying "Say what?" I've been over them many time time and can't say that I have still gotten all those seelsword companys straightened out.

Probably reading them the first tme so fast was not a good idea, and it doesn't help that the TV show and the books are different.

I feel sorry for the people who have been waitiing for the next book from the beginning. Of course maybe they can deal with having more than one obsession at a time.

I'm pretty OG, I guess.... not the most OG around these days (some of our still-regulars were on the Dragonstone forum a month or three before I showed up), but close enough.

Damn now I feel old and I'm only 30 lol.

My mom got me the book for Xmas way back in 1997. A friend of hers suggested it for me when he heard I liked fantasy. I was way too young to be reading it, only 13 at the time lol. I almost couldn't believe what I was reading.

For years it was like my dirty little secret. No one I knew had ever heard of these books and I wasn't aware of any Internet forums at the time to discuss them. Yup my dirty little secret. Haha

16 years later and I'm still reading. It has been an incredible ride.

I have been reading the series since '96.

I picked up the hardcover one day knowing nothing about it. I bought it due to Robert Jordan's recommendation on the cover since up until then he had been my favorite author.

Oh, I'm 36.

respect.

I read AGOT in high school reading for pleasure 1st hour. I would get so baked and immerse myself in the glory of the 7 kingdoms. It was 2003 or 04 and I never knew it was an ongoing saga. I didn't read SOS or watch season 1 until I was flipping through the channels and saw Sean Bean about to get his head chopped off. I was like "I know this, where do I know it from?" High school was a little bit hazy.

I read the first book in 1997, my cousin suggested I read them as I was a huge LOTR fan and liked political intrigue books, so he said I'd probably love Game of Thrones. I was in grade 9 and a huge bookworm, so it worked out well.

Watched season 1, then just before season 2 came out I bought book 2 and 3. When season 2 ended I read books 3-4-5 in about 3-4 month span. I joined the forum while reading ADWD, but didn't come on much so I wouldn't ruin the book. BTW, I didn't know that ADWD wasn't the last in the series until I bought it. I thought it was the end of it and couldn't wait to read it, no one I knew had read any of them so I was in my own little world. Now I have joined the ranks of the damned, the damned fans waiting for book 6! I have since read AGOT and am currently reading select chapters from AKOK. Waiting for my friend to get done with ADWD so I can have it back and reread it slower. He has my copies of 3-4-5.

I was peripherally aware of GRRM in '96, having heard of Armageddon Rag, but knew nothing of ASoIaF until I read a preview of the TV series in the newspaper. Picked up a copy of AGoT then.

I'm one of the few who hasn't seen the TV show. The clips I've seen were a bit hokey to me. Too much gloom, black leather, and silly-looking armor.

Archived