how many "OGs" on the forum?

gash

I've thought about this as well. I personally don't like GRRM much as a writer/person, so I plan to resist the intitial craze of the release date. Though, who knows. I may not be able to resist once it comes out. Hell, I could die before it even gets published.

Edit: To be playful with Hip Hop diction, I earlier admitted to not being an OG in asoiaf; however, I would submit that I consider myself to be a more "trill" fan than most fans (including OG's).

I must admit I am intrigued by the bolded statement above. Do you know GRRM as a person?

The OGs are like the children of the forest. They're few now, and far between, but they have text-referencing powers that can explode your arguments like a toilet exploding right out from under you from an extreme pipeblast that sends your bruised ego flying (like Bran will fly) 8 feet into the air on a powerful geyser of doom.

Yes, I remember that I was pretty sure the serie would be finished before 2010......

One other thing is that alot of threads today already existed in some form before ASoS.

I had the same thought. Storm was coming out in 2000 and based upon the number of books left and his previous publication schedule, there was no way this series would continue past 2010 or so. I figured this was a safe bet even if he added an extra book to the series.

And yes, 90% of what I talk about now was the topic of discussion before the last two books in the series.

Read the entire series of books after season 1 had aired, but before season 2.

Only then did I start watching the TV show on DVD.

My brother recommended them to me and loaned me the first 4 books. I bought ADwD, now have the whole set.

I told him, "I don't usually read fantasy."

He said this was different, went against the grain. Boy, howdy was he right about that.

And btw, I'm 60, so I guess one of the site's old timers.

I feel like frickin' Aemon Targaryen. :P

damn. Im more interested in how many people we have here who are 35+

40 here. A friend of mine recommended AGOT to me sometime back in the late 90s(not sure what year, so I don't know if ACOK was out by then or not), but I never read it til many years later. In a way, I feel blesed not to be an OG; the wait between books is killing me already. I really don't know how the longtimers have endured it.

It's awesome to come to these boards and see how diverse the audience for these books are. It goes to show that when a genre work is done skillfully, it can really bring people of different ages and backgrounds together instead of dividing them based on whether that genre is "their thing". I, for one, feel a real kinship with all ASOIAF and GOT enthusiasts - I swear it, by the Original Gangstas and the New!

I started back in like 2004, it was actually part of an optional side project in high school english lol (not a keener, had to raise my grade a bit). My teacher hated fantasy, and basically I had to tear into AGOT and why it was wrong on so many levels. Of course I was lying left and right on the report, because I loved the book after reading it. I wish I still had that project, it would be interesting to see the arguments I came up with back then. I actually ended up thanking my teacher for introducing me to the series. The following summer, I finished up to SoS and just last year I got around to finishing AFFC and ADWD.

I remember reading the first book when I was 12 years old (so 13 years ago) in 2000. I loved it and was very intrigued, but since I got it at the library, it wasn't until 2003 I read the second book, because it was hardly every available. I've just started the last book, since I've read many other series inbetween (e.g. The Dark Tower by Stephen King).

Was hooked after seeing the first episode of Season 1, bought the books the next day and hardly stopped reading until I finished. A friend recommended the books to me years ago, but I'd stopped reading fiction then. What an idiot.

Archived