[Book Spoilers] - "Significance" of the Podrick Payne?

First time poster, great mids here with some superb ideas, love it so far.

My little contribution is the following: after watching the Ros - Varys scene and in the beginning they are discussing Pod and his encounter with the whores that saved Tyrion some money.

While reading post about Pod on this forum, it was always presumed that he was just well endowed, but Ros mentions that he "isn´t bigger that others" and it is what he does, that impressed the whores. While it´s all well and good for him, I am wondering about the reason to put this in the series in the first place. Is it purely a "breaking the ice" intro for Ros and Varys, sort of start with light rumours and get onto the juicier bits as the report progresses, or will Pod´s personal life be of a significance to us going forward both in the series and the books?

Who is the woman Pod likely to "make happy" going forward (marriage or otherwise), presumably he survives the encounter with unCat, or is it just idle gossip, with no meaning; feel free to speculate.

Who is the woman Pod likely to "make happy" going forward (marriage or otherwise), presumably he survives the encounter with unCat, or is it just idle gossip, with no meaning; feel free to speculate.

This is how he will survive the encounter with unCat, she will keep him aroung as a boytoy and will totally forget about killing Freys

When it was first brought up last week, I was sure it had some sort of plot relevance. I thought maybe the whores got Pod to let something important slip (since he is with Tyrion a lot/Tyrion trusts him/etc) and therefore he didn't have to pay because they used him. So when Tyrion (and Bronn) asked Pod for "details" and to tell them "everything", I thought Tyrion wanted to listen to see if Pod fucked up somehow.

But then coming on here I realized it was just a joke. As a reader, I think I just over analyze things. This is the show, not the books (which I have to constantly remind myself). And on the show, there can be throw away scenes, things just for comic relief, etc, whereas in the books almost everything has some sort of underlying message.

I don't know why Ros and Varys were talking about it. It seems like the joke is played out at this point, but maybe the writers like it. But I don't think there's any underlying meaning anymore, and it's not foreshadowing or a hint. They're building up Pod's character so we care more about when he is taken by UnCat, and they are doing it in a way that they find humorous.

That's my take, in a long-winded explanation.

I think it's possible that the whores were paid by someone else, maybe to get info from Pod; and they didn't take the money because they're honorable, or maybe sending the money back was a sort of "message" from the other payer.

I really don't buy that this is just there for humor, especially since they mentioned it again in this episode.

Why build the character now with a silly whore joke when they have plenty of opportunity to do it when he travels with Brienne later on? Which is before the encounter with UnCat. They have a lot of time until that. Right now there's not really much point in wasting screen time to build Pod's character. It should be enough to keep him around Tyrion, being his shy, clumsy self, like in the books.

Thinking about it, the fact that the whore joke goes against the previous characterization should be a sign that there's more to it.

If the whores aren't spying for LF and possibly not for Varys, they might be spying for Cersei.

However, if they are spies, they would have taken the money to cover their tracks. I don't know, there should be something about it, it can't just be a bad joke.

This is how he will survive the encounter with unCat, she will keep him aroung as a boytoy and will totally forget about killing Freys

That made me laugh so much.

But yeah, I find it hard to believe that they turned a character who was pretty much sexless/asexual in the books into a sex god just as a throwaway joke. I hope there is more to it. Did someone else pay without Roz' knowledge? Are they building him up to become a love interest for Sansa (he did have a crush on her in the books) or something like that? Or do they just think it will make him more interesting?

It's going to be weird now when he'll share a bedroom with Brienne.

That made me laugh so much.

But yeah, I find it hard to believe that they turned a character who was pretty much sexless/asexual in the books into a sex god just as a throwaway joke. I hope there is more to it. Did someone else pay without Roz' knowledge? Are they building him up to become a love interest for Sansa (he did have a crush on her in the books) or something like that? Or do they just think it will make him more interesting?

It's going to be weird now when he'll share a bedroom with Brienne.

LOL I haven't even considered that...

I think they will build it up to a longterm joke.

Maybe the tale of Podrick The Stud Payne will spread across the 7 kingdoms and when he travels with Brienne there will be a moment like:

Random Brothelworker(RBW) heres Podrick's name.

-RBW: "Are you the Podrick Payne?"

-Pod: looks to the ground "Y... Y... Yes."

RBW drags Pod into a room

I hate to reference TV tropes, but i think maybe this has something to do with it.

There seems to be a cultural perception that a man needs to be sexualy active or else he's defective in some way. The show runners don't want us thinking Pod is a virgin, so they ridiculously overcompensate.

That or it's just a cheap shot at raising a laugh with some frat-boy humor.

Why build the character now with a silly whore joke when they have plenty of opportunity to do it when he travels with Brienne later on? Which is before the encounter with UnCat. They have a lot of time until that. Right now there's not really much point in wasting screen time to build Pod's character. It should be enough to keep him around Tyrion, being his shy, clumsy self, like in the books.

Thinking about it, the fact that the whore joke goes against the previous characterization should be a sign that there's more to it.

Yeah..guess you're right. But still, maybe he'll replace some other character later on.

As for him being mentioned in Ros and Varys conversation I think it was only to make the Spider less bitter, as he said he'd look out for her. So he just wouldn't go there and collect her information without having a bit of side-talk first.

they need to develop pod a bit now to give him a real reason for leaving once tyrion goes missing.

Pod is an outcast of sorts as shown throughout season 2, hes quiet awkward, and doesn't seem to have any friends. So when tyrion goes missing in the books pod goes off on this crazy adventure and kills people, assists brienne and begins to become a better sword fighter while training with brienne, which i think will play a bigger role in the later books.

But in order for all this to happen they need to build pod up a bit to make it less of a stretch that pod would do what he does in order to get tyrion back agian.

they need to develop pod a bit now to give him a real reason for leaving once tyrion goes missing.

Pod is an outcast of sorts as shown throughout season 2, hes quiet awkward, and doesn't seem to have any friends. So when tyrion goes missing in the books pod goes off on this crazy adventure and kills people, assists brienne and begins to become a better sword fighter while training with brienne, which i think will play a bigger role in the later books.

But in order for all this to happen they need to build pod up a bit to make it less of a stretch that pod would do what he does in order to get tyrion back agian.

That's all true, but aren't there better ways of explaining his motivation than "Tyrion got me laid and revealed to the world what an awsome pimp stud muffin I am"?

That's all true, but aren't there better ways of explaining his motivation than "Tyrion got me laid and revealed to the world what an awsome pimp stud muffin I am"?

we have probably another 16 more episodes worth of potential buildup. Let D&D's story play out.

Archived