[Book Spoilers] - "Significance" of the Podrick Payne?

I have no problem with levity, but I really don’t understand why they went in this direction. In AFFC, Jamie helps his young bumbling squire, Peck, lose his virginity to Pia. It’s actually an elegant counterpoint to the Jamie-Brienne storyline, showing the effect of the war on women who do not have the promise of an important house to ransom their honor or a knight in white armor to rescue them, and it also illustrates Jamie’s evolution into someone considerate of smallfolk. I would imagine the basic details are too similar, however, to the new “Tyrion helps his young bumbling squire, Pod, lose his virginity” storyline to warrant airtime, and I can’t believe (to the extent that I had to register on this site to share my disbelief! Lol) HBO would give up such a great scene for a joke about sexual prowess.

Also, a personal request from a Tyrion fan: Whores are a central component of Tyrion’s relationship with practically everyone. Obviously there’s Tywin. Then there’s Jamie and his whole, “Oh sorry I didn’t tell you your wife’s a whore I hired”/ “Actually Dad made me said that, she wasn’t a whore, sorry ‘bout that.” Tyrion made his infamous threat to Cersei when she seized the woman she thought was his whore, “A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth…” Shae WAS a whore, and even Sansa was why the gods made whores for imps like him. The man saved King’s Landing, and what do people remember about his tenure as Hand? The dwarf’s penny. So FFS can’t we have ONE person whose relationship with Tyrion isn’t defined by whores????

I think you've got it all wrong! It's not just normal comedy in the show, but actually a giant joke at LF's expense because poor Pod was nervous and quite terrible. When Tyrion arrranged the visit, the girls expected this from nervous first-time kid, so they got together and decided they would have their own joke at the expense of their boss LF (and Tyrion), so they would reassure Pod about his performance, send the money back and put out the story that Pod was Totally Awesome :D Ros is part of it of course!

I don't think it is l worth looking to deep into this, the scenes with Pod are purely there for TV viewers so they don't forget him when he meets up with Brienne in Season 5 or so.

And that is probably a darn good idea. Until reading this thread, I had completely forgotten that the same character had both saved Tyrion's life at the Blackwater and then travelled with Brienne. I'm not sure if I even knew that when I was reading the book. So heck, make him more memorable.

Of course, when the RW happened in the books, I also realized I hadn't been paying enough attention to this Bolton fellow. I almost wish the books would come with footnotes: "Pay attention! The third character in this list of 12 minor bannermen will play a key role in Book 6!" At least I read the books on a Kindle and can easily search for names.

And that is probably a darn good idea. Until reading this thread, I had completely forgotten that the same character had both saved Tyrion's life at the Blackwater and then travelled with Brienne. I'm not sure if I even knew that when I was reading the book. So heck, make him more memorable.

Of course, when the RW happened in the books, I also realized I hadn't been paying enough attention to this Bolton fellow. I almost wish the books would come with footnotes: "Pay attention! The third character in this list of 12 minor bannermen will play a key role in Book 6!" At least I read the books on a Kindle and can easily search for names.

Exactly! Thats why they made Roose Bolton a significant character on the show.

I think this scene got past 95% of watchers.

Tyrion paid off the whores ahead of time and told them to not accept Pod's money, to make him think he was amazing in the sack. He comes back and Bronn/Tyrion feign amazement. It's a confidence booster for a quiet kid.

This has been going on since time immemorable in real-life. It was a common, good-hearted trick (in times when there were women of pleasure).

But then coming on here I realized it was just a joke. As a reader, I think I just over analyze things. This is the show, not the books (which I have to constantly remind myself). And on the show, there can be throw away scenes, things just for comic relief, etc, whereas in the books almost everything has some sort of underlying message.

I'm really baffled by the Podrick-as-sex-god angle. Similar to the substitution of Aurthur Dayne with Barristan in couple of scenes in S1 and 2, perhaps Podrick will function as the Magical-Awesome-Penis stand-in for Tormund Giantsbane. ;-)

I think it was just added to the story to have some lightness and fun. The other stories are so dark....I really think it was time for something fun. If you have not read the books I would think this series would seem like everyone just struggles and injustice is the whole story....the Pod story gives us a smile and a laugh.

And even Roz did not annoy me in this episode as she usually does. Now that she is not a whore she does not annoy me as much.

It's for the humor! Everything in the series can not ALL be politics and killings and the Pod scene in episode 3 was hilarious.

Many has the Pod scenes as "lows" in their opinion, but that's just the feminist, "men can not do that-attitude", talking.

Like Linda in their youtube video, where she praises everything that has to do with the Draenerys scene and criticises Pod. Again.

Don't get me wrong, the Daenerys scene was fantastic. I just think some women doesn't likes the thought of Pod being a testo-vaginadestroyer... but hey.

Comedy like that is needed througout all the political drama!

- vote Pod for Iron Throne

As a woman, I say we need MORE PODRICKS PLEASE. And I hope they run that joke forever, just like I hope Ros outlives everyone.

And just for the record: we don't want "testo-vaginaDESTROYERS" (as funny as that sounds), we need talented cocksmen who know how to calibrate themselves in order to rub our G-Spots perfectly. You don't want to destroy that vagina. You want to make it happy so it never wants to stop, and will fuck you until your dick falls off.

Men take note: Good sex is hard to come by, many of us enjoy adequate sex, but it's not what we want, or need. Women will crawl over glass for AMAZING sex. That should be your goal.

As a woman, I say we need MORE PODRICKS PLEASE. And I hope they run that joke forever, just like I hope Ros outlives everyone.

And just for the record: we don't want "testo-vaginaDESTROYERS" (as funny as that sounds), we need talented cocksmen who know how to calibrate themselves in order to rub our G-Spots perfectly. You don't want to destroy that vagina. You want to make it happy so it never wants to stop, and will fuck you until your dick falls off.

Men take note: Good sex is hard to come by, many of us enjoy adequate sex, but it's not what we want, or need. Women will crawl over glass for AMAZING sex. That should be your goal.

:agree:

First of all, I have always found Pod a very interesting guy. Still waters run deep. Now he is not only a hero twice over, he is a stud.

Yes, it was done for a laugh, but it also demonstrates that Pod is one of the very few characters, maybe the only one who is, as yet, unspoiled from a moral point of view. He naturally cares about others. He never judges Tyrion, preferring to be loyal.

And my radar tells me that Pod is the real thing in the sense that he has the attributes of sort of guy who is that good . Actually, adequate sex is hardly worth the time and trouble.

It is always the quiet ones girls. Well, not always, but if you want to take a risk, bet on one of them. Take it from some one who knows how to pick them.

I think it was a poorly written joke that just wasn't funny and has confused some people to the point that they think it has significance plot relevance. Seriously...I know a couple people who think it was just too "random" to not mean anything in the long run. Some mindless comic relief can be fun, but this wasn't fun...mostly weird. My friends got a little kick out of some of it, but they definitely believe it "means something" more than comic relief, because well...it wasn't the most hilarious route for that. They think there's more to it because "four whores would NEVER band together and agree to turn down money, especially if it's LITTLEFINGER's money." I can see why some people would think that, especially considering LF was threatening Ros like a psychopath last season for being a buzzkill for customers. But now he's just "too distracted" to care. My friend said, "Littlefinger is so clever. What is his scheme this time?"

I do think it was just a joke, but I think they decided to mention it again to clarify it was a joke. Obviously a lot of people would be thinking he must have said something, but with both Ros and Varys, both spys that would set something like this up, saying it was just him being that good it suggests they knew over analysis would come into play

Some scenes are built simply for comic relief or to provide a little more exposure for a character who hasn't been given much to that point and there is no greater meaning intended. This is clearly one of them. No need to overanalyze...

i agree! it was meant to be funny, simple as that. although i like the poster who said that rumors of his "powers" would save him later in the story:

Maybe the tale of Podrick The Stud Payne will spread across the 7 kingdoms and when he travels with Brienne there will be a moment like:

Random Brothelworker(RBW) heres Podrick's name.

-RBW: "Are you the Podrick Payne?"

-Pod: looks to the ground "Y... Y... Yes."

RBW drags Pod into a room

Archived