My Stannis Playbook

Capon Breath

Stannis is certainly a survivor in the War of the 5 Kings. However, he has many, many foes and rival claimants to the Iron Throne:

Euron Greyjoy, King of the Iron Isles and half the North (plus chunks of the South-West), Drowned God

Tommen Baratheon, the Pretender, King of King's Landing, the Reach and the West, the Seven New Gods

Jon Snow, King of the North (by virtue of Robb's Writ, known copies with Maege Mormont and the Blackfish), the Old Gods

Aegon Targaryen VI, the Pretender, Uncrowned King of Westeros

Daenerys Targaryen II, Mother of Dragons, Heir to the Mad King, No Gods

Mance Rayder, King Beyond the Wall, Old Gods

Plus there are, in no particular order, Sansa Stark, Bran Stark, Rickon Stark, Robert Arryn, Doran Martell, Gendry Rivers, Edric Storm and a possible baby in Jeyne Westerling's womb to contend with.

What does Stannis have again? 5000 men of faltering loyalty, a Wildling Host ready to descend from Castle Black and a Banker??

Please! His claim is more parlous now than it was after Tyrion smashed him on the Blackwater. Besides, he has the followers of many other faiths to contend with who simply won't convert to his pagan ideology.

And I haven't forgotten Arya Stark, whose duty will probably be to end Stannis at some time in Book 7 (or possibly anything up to Book 12 = please, GRRM, don't do a Robert Jordan!!!)

Stannis is certainly a survivor in the War of the 5 Kings. However, he has many, many foes and rival claimants to the Iron Throne:

Euron Greyjoy, King of the Iron Isles and half the North (plus chunks of the South-West), Drowned God

Tommen Baratheon, the Pretender, King of King's Landing, the Reach and the West, the Seven New Gods

Jon Snow, King of the North (by virtue of Robb's Writ, known copies with Maege Mormont and the Blackfish), the Old Gods

Aegon Targaryen VI, the Pretender, Uncrowned King of Westeros

Daenerys Targaryen II, Mother of Dragons, Heir to the Mad King, No Gods

Mance Rayder, King Beyond the Wall, Old Gods

Plus there are, in no particular order, Sansa Stark, Bran Stark, Rickon Stark, Robert Arryn, Doran Martell, Gendry Rivers, Edric Storm and a possible baby in Jeyne Westerling's womb to contend with.

What does Stannis have again? 5000 men of faltering loyalty, a Wildling Host ready to descend from Castle Black and a Banker??

Please! His claim is more parlous now than it was after Tyrion smashed him on the Blackwater. Besides, he has the followers of many other faiths to contend with who simply won't convert to his pagan ideology.

And I haven't forgotten Arya Stark, whose duty will probably be to end Stannis at some time in Book 7 (or possibly anything up to Book 12 = please, GRRM, don't do a Robert Jordan!!!)

All correct and well ariticulated. So the crux of the thread is - If you were Stannis what would you do about it?

For starters, agree to dissolve Aegon the Conqueror's 7 Kingdoms. The Baratheons get Storm's End back, plus Dragonstone and its vassal islands. The North is returned to the Starks, Sansa gets the Eyrie (through Harry the Heir), the Tyrells are restored to the Reach (after Maegery's marriage to Tommen is dissolved), Dorne remains with the Martells, the Iron Isles are given to Asha and the Targaryens are to be annihilated along with the Lannisters. I don't expect the West or the Riverlands will survive said wars, so Stannis would be free to claim the heart of Westeros.

Unfortunately, I suspect that Dany, Faegon and Jon Snow will be the main obstacles to any such outcome. Nor would many of the other Lords agree unless Stannis should somehow gain the ascendency once more. Perhaps by aligning himself with the Eyrie and Iron Isles (Asha's supporters at least), along with the rebel Northern Lords, Stannis can hope to drive the Lannisters out of the Riverlands and once again besiege King's Landing.

If, if, if... Nah, Stannis is toast.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Blackfish is in theVvale right now, chatting up the lords into giving him an army. It has been mentioned that many lords, Bronze Yohn among them urged Lysa to side with Robb.

He may declare for Stannis along with the Manderlys, Dustins and the other supporters of the Northern Conspiracy on the condition of a stark Stark/Tully restoration to their titles.

But then again, there are many different agendas in such an alliance.

hmm everything sounds good except the tyrell part. Mace Tyrell wants his daughter to be queen. a royal pardon aint gonna cut it. unless Mace knows for sure that opposing stannis means Death.

I'm proposing royal pardon + Mace as Hand + a marriage pact for any future child of Shireen to a Tyrell.

I also like the idea that it might be possible to avoid a Tyrell situation altogether if they can be made to see sense and retreat to high garden.

I thought I posted earlier to clarify my Tyrell theory, but something must have gone wrong. Anyway, Stannis was besieged by Mace Tyrell and the Redwynne Cordon for most of the Rebellion, so I can't see him siding with Highgarden. Besides, there was a lot of foreshadowing in the early books about Florent having the rightful claim to Highgarden. Probably won't matter since between the Lannisters, Martells and Iron Born there won't be much left of the Reach to claim.

I think that if shireen would marry it would be to rickon. That would make sure that a stark-baratheon alliance would happen as planned in book 1 (when Joffrey was still Robbert's son)

I agree and at this point I don't think like many who feel the North is going to march down to the south. Once Shireen marries Rickon and the Northerners get everything settled away. The south will still be fighting and then the Others will come sweeping in on whats left. The only people truly aware that the others are real are people from the north. Remember Jon and Stannis met at the wall and more than likely talked about the threat. Mel, Stannis's advisor believes the threat. Stannis has been at the wall and seeen Giants and Mammoths, also Mels magic. He's not marching South any time soon. IMHO

I think that if shireen would marry it would be to rickon. That would make sure that a stark-baratheon alliance would happen as planned in book 1 (when Joffrey was still Robbert's son)

Current Book-readers' teasing of the non-Book Show-only viewers is the Arya Stark/ Gendry Waters match, as shown in S03E05. Go back to Book 1, when Robert said something to the effect of - "I have a son, you have a daughter. Let's join our Houses. We were meant to rule together."

Archived