[book spoilers] TV Margaery vs Book Margaery

Book Marg is definitely more subtly sneaky than TV Marg, who is wonderful but a little obvious in her scheming ways. I suppose it's one of those book-to-screen translation failures. I just felt like GRRM did a better job of making you wonder what the heck Marg would do next in the books.

Gods, he's so wonderful. I'll miss him.

Even in a show full of extremely talented child/young adult actors he's still such a standout, and manages to give a completely obnoxious character an enjoyability/doofy charisma that was never there in the books. I'm still really surprised that he's planning on dropping out of the acting biz after this because he seems like a natural.

Book Marg is definitely more subtly sneaky than TV Marg, who is wonderful but a little obvious in her scheming ways. I suppose it's one of those book-to-screen translation failures. I just felt like GRRM did a better job of making you wonder what the heck Marg would do next in the books.

Well, he's kept us guessing for three books now, and were still no closer to knowing who she really is. She's barely a character at all in the books, more of a plot point. She's so subtle she's practically none-existence. More of a failure by GRRM then anything else.

Well, he's kept us guessing for three books now, and were still no closer to knowing who she really is. She's barely a character at all in the books, more of a plot point. She's so subtle she's practically none-existence. More of a failure by GRRM then anything else.

George falls into that category of top of the line story tellers, but only 'pretty good' character developers.

For instance in the books Tywin comes of, to me, as kind of flat as a pancake.

Hire Charles Dance to play him and your are going to get a three dimensional character... even if he was to utter the same words!

It's a curse for the book purists ... can't be helped... many of the actors are better book characters than the book characters!

(Another curse for the book purists is that just as writers, David Benioff and D. B. Weiss are just as good writers and screenwriters as GRRM. Bringing their own creativity is going to change the narrative. They have already invented Byzantine intrigue at KL that really only hinted at in the books.)

The only part I disagreed with is the statement that she felt like a pawn in the books. I never felt that. Just felt she was potentially a clever player that was being guided well by the Queen of Thorns in how to play the game to advance her family

I'd agree with that; I always felt that the Tyrells knew how to play the game as a team better than the Lannisters did, and whatever their differences behind the scenes they stepped into place in public.

GRRM is an amazing character developer with the POVs. Sansa, Jaime, etc. Uber complex and plenty of subtlety It's just you can't develop every side character that deeply without getting into their heads. In TV, because you can convey a lot with a visual and don't have POV restrictions, a greater breadth of characters can have more development, but they still won't be as complex as the best-developed book characters.

Take Joffrey for example -- he's a better character in the TV show because the actor has a ton of ability. Sure, he's cruel, just like the book, but Gleeson conveys such a sense of sadism, spiteful fear, and erratic charisma. It's more difficult to show that if the POV is a character who's simply terrified of him. Meanwhile, I love Peter Dinklage to pieces and think he's kicking ass, but Tyrion has more complexity in the book. It would be hard to convey all that onscreen without going into an awkward monologue.

Gleeson says he's retiring acting, but he may change his mind when gets a bunch of offers after Joff's death...he's an unusually good actor for a 20 year old.

As far as Charles Dance goes, he is perfect as Tywin. I just wish he didn't smile. His portrayal doesn't even seem like a guy who would ever smile, but he does it all of the time regardless.

The thing is though, he's PERFECT for Joffrey, he'd probably get typecast with loads of other roles. I still hold out some hope he might take up theatre :crying:

Yes. You know the actor is perfect for the role when you hate him as if he really was the character, at least thats how I see it.

Agreed.

Book Marg<TV Marg.

I think those of you singing book Marges praises are inventing things that are not there.

George falls into that category of top of the line story tellers, but only 'pretty good' character developers.

For instance in the books Tywin comes of, to me, as kind of flat as a pancake.

Hire Charles Dance to play him and your are going to get a three dimensional character... even if he was to utter the same words!

It's a curse for the book purists ... can't be helped... many of the actors are better book characters than the book characters!

(Another curse for the book purists is that just as writers, David Benioff and D. B. Weiss are just as good writers and screenwriters as GRRM. Bringing their own creativity is going to change the narrative. They have already invented Byzantine intrigue at KL that really only hinted at in the books.)

I think you are nuts. His characterization is some of the best.

I love the Tyrells. I loved them in the books and hated that they aren't PoV characters. So the fact that the show is handling them so well and is showing them to be as clever as I always assumed they were is wonderful. More Marg scenes, please.

I agree! I love seeing the scenes we couldn't in the books due the PoV structure. Sometimes those are sadly cringeworthy (I'm looking at you, Stannis), but with the Tyrells they're doing an excellent job. The KL machinations with Marg/QoT/Joffrey/Sansa/Cersei/Tywin are the best part of GoT right now - along with Dany's storyline (Dracarys!)

book margaery seemed more innocent though and it was easy to see her going to the sept and praying piously. it's easier to imagine her being innocent of the charges cersei trumps up against her. but i love show margaery. the extra scheming and planning she does makes her seem more alive than in the book. show margeary also gives her actions a more modern context. in the book, she seems like the ultimate dutiful daughter, going from husband to husband. but on the show, it is her personal ambition as well as the family goals that motivates her willingness to remarry so many times.

natalie dormer and charles dance are doing wonders with their characters on the show. gleeson too although i don't think he will be tempted to do anymore acting. he's in an extremely prestigious academic program and that seems to be where his heart is. still, his "joffrey" is fabulous.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Well I liked the ambiguity - that we don't know. Pycelle said she asked him to brew moon tea for her. That made me go "mmmm...." And the Kettleback guy said that she wasn't above flirting with him - just that she was too smart to cross any lines. She carries a bouquet to Tywin's funeral, but keeps a single rose to "filter" out the odors - it's a pretty clever thing to do without causing offense.

To me Natalie Dormer has stolen every scene she's in. I love her portrayal. In the books she has a common touch that makes the smallfolk absolutely love her (of course the Tyrells helping to save KL plus all the food they send makes it real easy for them to love her). This is the one aspect they choose to go back to in the show- she's able to make pretty much everyone like her.

Everyone drools over the QoT's prowess at the Game. Except, for me anyway, she makes it painfully apparent that she is more clever than you are. The ones to watch out for are the ones who do it behind the scenes. Margaery has learned from her grandmother but also has the wits to not lord it over people.

Season 1 belonged to Cersei, 2 to Arya, this one goes to Margaery I would say.

The Tyrells were the once that caused the food blockade in the first place, at least in the books. What's the story in the show?

I don't see Joff being manipulated by her, I think they are genuinely falling in love with each other. I hope the show makes a change and bypasses the PW and keeps them together. They have amazing chemistry.

Yes, I think this would be a wonderful change. *lololol*

• 1 month later...

Archived