So i have started to read books

Rodion Felix

My suggestion for a great fantasy epic read would be Magician by Raymon Feist, and then the entire riftwar sage that came afterwards.

Magician is a wonderful introduction to classic fantasy and a great book. The stories that are set immediatley after (or at the same time as) Magician are also very good. But all the books that came out after that are horrible. It's as if R.E.F lost his love for his world. He should have stopped a long time ago instead of milking the cash cow.

Magician is a wonderful introduction to classic fantasy and a great book. The stories that are set immediatley after (or at the same time as) Magician are also very good. But all the books that came out after that are horrible. It's as if R.E.F lost his love for his world. He should have stopped a long time ago instead of milking the cash cow.

I have read them so long ago I can't actually remember the exact details, but do remember them getting a little too "far out there" towards the end.

I have recently got a copy of Magician from a friend so I will definitely re-read that once I am done with all the ASOIAF books.

I have read them so long ago I can't actually remember the exact details, but do remember them getting a little too "far out there" towards the end.

I have recently got a copy of Magician from a friend so I will definitely re-read that once I am done with all the ASOIAF books.

You might have dropped out before this became apparent. Magician for me was the introduction into classical fantasy. I read it twice after I bought it and then I read all the books he had published during my vacation. I had the advantage of reading them all quickly behind one another but even then I already noticed the massive drop in quality. In later years it actually became very clear to me that his later books are shit because even when I was really bored it was a pain to reread those later novels of him.

I think up until “rage of a demon King” his books were quite good with two interesting worlds and some cool characters but from “rage of a demon king” onwards he just seemed to have lost his inspiration. He kept on increasing the magic and introducing new types of enemies and elves. But I think the main flaw of these books is that he does not have interesting protagonists anymore. All the cool characters from his first books have died off old age or have been killed in service of the story and he replaced them with characters that are the very textbook definition of contrived and uninteresting.

It’s a shame really since I really liked his world. He should have finished the Krondor series (he had a conflict with a gaming company IIRC), tied up loose ends and then moved on to other worlds. His later novels are such a taint to those great early works :(

Archived