Why did Sansa marry Tyrion.

AvengerofWinterfell

She was a prisoner basically, but I'm pretty sure she was given the choice between Tyrion and Lancel. If she had a choice to choose a more comely husband IMO she comes off as annoying when she complains about his looks.

Lancel was at the court the whole time but didn't tried to defend her against Joff abuses, Tyrion did. I think it was a bit more important for her than being comely when she decided.

I do wonder what would have happened if she refused to say her vows or otherwise protested. The wedding was a public thing no? I don't doubt that she would have payed for it later in private but could they really force-marry her in front of all those people?

She was a prisoner basically, but I'm pretty sure she was given the choice between Tyrion and Lancel. If she had a choice to choose a more comely husband IMO she comes off as annoying when she complains about his looks.

Actually Sansa did not really complain about Tyrion's looks and she may have had her good reasons not to choose Lancel since he had part in her torturing by Joffrey while Tyrion protected her when no one apart from Dontos did.

No, once Sansa had decided to be a brave wolf she intended to behave like she believed a proper wife should behave. She was neither mean nor openly agressive towards Tyrion. Apart from not kneeling, which was absolutely understandable but may be seen as making fun of Tyrion's height, only she regretted that herself a few moments later.

In that wedding night scene she tried to play the good wife, she was willing to open her legs for Tyrion and she was ashamed of herself that she did not know what was expected to her. This is so awful how both characters humiliated themselves there. But her involuntary body language fortunately betrayed her and emphazised that all this was terribly wrong, a message Sansa herself did not even intend to transfer, only her body was cleverer than she was.

And I cannot criticize a twelve year old for finding that ugly dwarf repulsive, any other girl her age would have. It takes a mature older person to look behind ugliness and to question the Westerosi ideas about mishappen cripples in a martial macho world. Tyrion was not a disfigured battle hero or victim of an accident, he was born that way, an abomination cursed by nature and the gods, a superstition hard to overcome for a child. Sansa did not know Tyrion at all, he was part of the enemy, how should she have formed an unbiased opinion? No, she reacted like most twelve year olds would have: appalled by the looks of Tyrion, not only by the prospect of enduring "consummation"

Though her later unwillingness to enter some kind of alliance with Tyrion against Joffrey was unwise, but maybe she was, given her fear and her age, not able to think strategically.

I was looking a different way to put the question because the original post makes no sense.

That`s because it doesn`t make any sense.

Actually Sansa did not really complain about Tyrion's looks and she may have had her good reasons not to choose Lancel since he had part in her torturing by Joffrey while Tyrion protected her when no one apart from Dontos did.

No, once Sansa had decided to be a brave wolf she intended to behave like she believed a proper wife should behave. She was neither mean nor openly agressive towards Tyrion. Apart from not kneeling, which was absolutely understandable but may be seen as making fun of Tyrion's height, only she regretted that herself a few moments later.

She was given a choice between bad and worse, and she had to choose someone. She chose Tyrion, but even Tyrion must have known that Tyuwin would do anything to marry the two of them. And Sansa was passive agressive towards Tyrion. By not kneeling, she clearly demonstarted how loyal and loving wife she`s gonna be. She was the she-wolf denying the male who wants to mate with her.

my original question is because I couldnt remember the circumstance. I was thinking about the series and couldnt remember the exact circumstances under which Sansa went through with it so seeing as I dont have access to the text right now, I sought clarification.

Reread that POV, and you`ll understand it better. Until then, she had no choice or option.

I do wonder what would have happened if she refused to say her vows or otherwise protested. The wedding was a public thing no? I don't doubt that she would have payed for it later in private but could they really force-marry her in front of all those people?

IIRC it was explained that since her father was a traitor, she had become a ward of the Crown and as such "her hand was Joffrey's to give away". I'm not so sure a forced marriage would have been illegal.

She was given a choice between bad and worse, and she had to choose someone. She chose Tyrion, but even Tyrion must have known that Tyuwin would do anything to marry the two of them. And Sansa was passive agressive towards Tyrion. By not kneeling, she clearly demonstarted how loyal and loving wife she`s gonna be. She was the she-wolf denying the male who wants to mate with her.

Um, no, she intended to do what was expected of her in that marriage, she took her personal pride from emulating the proper lady and good wife. Fulfilling expectations as perfectly as she could was what gave her self confidence, she was brought up that way, twisted as those expectations may be. She did not consciously deny Tyrion anything that was supposed to be her duty.

Sansa was indeed brave here, only bravery meant for her to fulfill others' expectations in dignity, with her head held upright, without cracking. It did not mean to fight for living up to her own expectations.

Um, no, she intended to do what was expected of her in that marriage, she took her personal pride from emulating the proper lady and good wife. Fulfilling expectations as perfectly as she could was what gave her self confidence, she was brought up that way, twisted as those expectations may be. She did not consciously deny Tyrion anything that was supposed to be her duty.

No, you are right. After getting married, she was indeed ready to fulfill her duties as a wife, no matter how repulsive it was for her. But during the ceremony, she conciously refused to bend her knee, thinking `why should I care of his feelings?`. Then she felt pity and shame, and bowed and kissed him like a proper wife, but initial instinct was not to bend the knee, not to care about him. She wasn`t to say it passively agressive towards him in the marrigae, just in that scene with the cloak during wedding.

Even Theon thinks that Jeyne has a choice of sorts while marrying Ramsay. Sansa usually goes for the safest opinion. I think that if she caused a scene she could have at least postponed the marriage, and maybe Tyrells would would have found a way to ship her from KL. The risk was high though (even if I don't think the punishment would have been more than a beating - they needed her) So as in most cases she did as she'd been told. I wonder if she regretted the choice later. Towards the end of her marriage to Tyrion she considers suicide, so it might have been worth to risk firs time around...

Anyways I wonder if a choice between Lancel and Tyrion was even real, Tyrion didn't have enough authority to grant her that at the time.

Anyways I wonder if a choice between Lancel and Tyrion was even real, Tyrion didn't have enough authority to grant her that at the time.

I wonder about it too. I feel that given Tyrion's past, he would definitely have honored whatever answer Sansa gave but what would have happened if she said "I would rather marry Lancel?

Archived