Why did Sansa marry Tyrion.

AvengerofWinterfell

Wow. Just...wow.

1. Leaving KL with a drunk, unbalanced Sandor when the city is swarming with soldiers and in the middle of a bloody battle is a stupid idea.

2. She did take the Tyrell option. And the Dontos option. In fact, apart from Sandor, she took every opportunity that came her way.

3. Jon Snow Eats Wild Beaver, with all due respect, you need to retread the Sansa chapters and soften your tone.

I fail to see why the Lannisters didn't offer Sansa to Daven: Had they given her an acceptable husband (not a half-man, not a maimed fanatic) she might have cooperated.

Not likely, as she didn't want anything to do with the Lannister Family.

Again, you are thinking like Sansa. 'No options that don't end up horrible for her.'

The Tyrells don't seem to be that horrible. Wasn't she willing to marry Will.I.am, or whatever his name is? The cripple. Seriously, I forgot his name. And Sandor Clegane is someone I was thinking of, because he has since shown he is willing to sell Starks for cash, has an affinity for Sansa, and probably won't rape her.

But you know what? Anything I bring up rests on one thing: the ability of a sheep to make a decision for herself. The ability of a lemming to take a chance, or to buck a system she thinks she is stuck in. Sometimes good things happen to people who try to escape. And sometimes, bad things happen to people to trust in the goodness and kindness of the court in Kings Landing. I mean, isn't Cersei giving Qyburn a steady diet of courtiers? Wasn't Jeyne Poole at court somewhere and didn't Littlefinger get ahold of her or something? Whether or not Sansa could have gotten out of her wedding (and out of court) is moot. She didn't. The rest is conjecture. But other people, other girls, sure have, though. Doesn't it make you go hmm, even a little bit?

Anyhow, you go ahead thinking that Sansa is the poor little rich kid. I believe the stories have shown us that she has had options from the beginning. I like your picture, by the way. Go for the eyes, boo! Go for the eyes!

EDIT: and actually, that toerag Tyrion didn't let Sansa go even with Jaime's return. A Lannister always pays his debts? Horseshit!

My, this sound suspiciously like you think all fans of Sansa think like her and thus are lemming, sheeps and whatyouhave. If this is your way of creating an animated discussion, you are not succeeding.

Concerning Sansa and Arya: Both of them help a man (Jaquen/Dontos) and get repaid. Unfortunately, Sansa gets a drunken idiot while Arya gets.... well the guy whose Game of Thrones Card Game Card is even that good that they had to ban it. Jaquen is efficient, Dontos is not. Yes, Arya is proactive with her Weasel soup, but unlike Sansa she can be because no one observes her that much. In Harrenhall she is the lowest of the low but this gives her some measure of freedom in this instance. What would have happened if Sansa tried to do the same in KL? She would not even get to the kitchen because everyone knows her and her value as hostage.

I fail to see why the Lannisters didn't offer Sansa to Daven: Had they given her an acceptable husband (not a half-man, not a maimed fanatic) she might have cooperated.

No, she hates them all, easy as that. She´d accept a Tyrell husband because while they are opportunistic bastards they did not kill her father.

All of this could have been avoided if she went with sandor if only he looked like a true knight handsome n galant she would have jumped on his stallion n ride safely to her family.

Maybe, or maybe Sandor would not have made it out of the keep and city with the Lannisters' prized hostage. It was easy enough for him to desert because in the confusiin nobody was plying close attention to where one man was rushing off to, thats not a guarantee stealing Sansa would have gone smoothly.

All of this could have been avoided if she went with sandor if only he looked like a true knight handsome n galant she would have jumped on his stallion n ride safely to her family.

I wouldn`t be so sure about this. It wasn`t Sandor`s look what made Sansa refuse that offer, she actually believed Stannis is going to win and that she`s gonna be safe. After all, she started trusting Sandor at the moment when he offered her to runa away/

Or if Sandor hadn't been extremely drunk and frightening, or if he hadn't pulled a knife on her during that scene, or maybe if hadn't actually left before she had even answered him.

^^ Good points but who's brave enough to stop him, he could have made it look like he was taking a whore out. she came to the Realisation that he wouldn't hurt her already if she thought stannis would win she could have boosted her chances by being outside a city that was about to be sacked, he could have taken her to stannis's camp n even after loosing stannis would have taken her wit him.

We can only go by the text, right? There have been people who have escaped from Kings Landing. Important people. So its possible. Not insignificant is the fact that one of the important people who have escaped Kings Landing is actually Sansa (her husband as well). It is possible. Was it possible for Sansa to have escaped Kings Landing after Ned's beheading, which to me is the seminal event for her, and before her marriage (the OP)? What I'm saying is that it obviously wasn't possible for her. This is known.

The reason it wasn't possible is because of who she is, for me, less because of the circumstances surrounding her. If you want to argue the circumstances far outweigh her own prejudices and behavior, that is definitely fine. That's why we have opinions. But can you all not at least acknowledge that perhaps, just maybe, there is the other side as well? That Sansa is also engaged in a struggle with her own nature, seemingly just like most other characters in this story? For me, that is what led to the marriage.

And for the record, being married to Tyrion doesn't seem as important to me in Sansa's story now as her more recent dilemmas in the Eyrie.

We can only go by the text, right? There have been people who have escaped from Kings Landing. Important people. So its possible. Not insignificant is the fact that one of the important people who have escaped Kings Landing is actually Sansa (her husband as well). It is possible. Was it possible for Sansa to have escaped Kings Landing after Ned's beheading, which to me is the seminal event for her, and before her marriage (the OP)? What I'm saying is that it obviously wasn't possible for her. This is known.

She escaped then as she actually had someone assisting her then, while every time before the wedding she had no real allies that would help get out of King's Landing. Similarly, Tyrion only escaped because he had allies in Jaime and Varys that helped out during the exact time he needed them.

Daven wasn't in KL at that moment, and they needed to either marry Sansa off quickly, or (according to Tywin, and Tywin was the man making the calls) forfeit her to the Tyrells.

And Sansa cooperated anyway. Why try to appease the girl, if you can just beat the shit out of her often enough, and threat with more of the same?

Maybe, or maybe Sandor would not have made it out of the keep and city with the Lannisters' prized hostage. It was easy enough for him to desert because in the confusiin nobody was plying close attention to where one man was rushing off to, thats not a guarantee stealing Sansa would have gone smoothly.

Exactly. Any Lannister soldiers guarding the exits of the Red Keep and the city who see Sandor leaving, it's no biggie for them, they won't risk their lives to stop him. But they all know that Cersei will have their heads if they let Sansa leave the city, so they are much more likely to stop both of them.

Maybe someone can help me out here. I know that Tywin brokered the marriage of Tyrion to Sansa in order to prevent her from being wed to a Tyrell, but why did Sansa agree to it? Even if she didnt object when it was prompted to her, she couldve objected during the ceremony or simply not said the vows. I know the Laws of Westeros dont give many rights to women, but I believe it does offer them that one. Seeing as how she had no love for Tyrion and she knew the Tyrell offer was out there, why go through with marrying Tyrion? Did I miss something?

Is that a serious question?

Archived